1. This forum is in read-only mode.

PCSX2 Quick Configuration Guide For Newbies

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Dark Infernape, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

[​IMG]

PCSX2 Quick Configuration Guide For Newbies!

[​IMG]

I’ve seen a lot of posts and threads about PS2 games lagging, slow fps in games, and in some cases games don’t run at all etc. I’m mentioning some tips on how to improve Speed and Compatability while using PCSX2. So this can be helpful for new users who want to play PS2 games on their pc with PCSX2.

If you have any comments, suggestions or corrections about this guide, please PM me or post below.

Now remember there is no "The Best Setting" for any emulator, performance hugely depends on your System, and the game you are trying to run.

General Info/ Tips:
    • Keep in mind that even if your PC is new and powerful, it doesn't mean it will run all emulated PS2 games at full speed.
    • Try different configurations for different games, you need to experiment it yourself and find the right setting for each game.
    • PCSX2 usually uses 2 threads (cores) at most. That means that if you have a 4-cores CPU, the maximum CPU utilization you'll see is 50%, and usually a bit less. If you have a single-core CPU, most games will run slow.
    • Make sure power settings are set to "High performance". This way the CPU will be running at it's Full Power.
    • (Laptops - Intel) MAKE SURE it uses the external GPU and not the Intel one. If you have dual GPU, make sure the external one is selected.
    • (Laptops - Intel) MAKE SURE your CPU frequency can go up to around 3GHz (on i3/i5/i7 processors) while you play (it won't always stay there, but it's important to make sure it can get there if needed).
    • Use ISO Image of the Games, don’t run the game discs. Recommended as its much faster and there is no risk of Damage The game Disc.
    • In most cases unchecking the "Show Console" under "Misc" can be very helpfull and reduces chances of slowdowns.
    • Its best to disable any Real time applications running in the background such as Anti-viruses. Any other unused processes in the background can be terminated with the Task Manager, but be really carefull with this( Adviced only for advanced users).

Advanced Tweaks:
    • Try to enable 8-bit textures under Video Plugin GSdx Settings. (Depends on the game)
    • Try Presets 4-5, even 6 for heavy games, for moderate to huge speedups, they can bring big differences in fps.
    • Try lower resolution at GSdx settings (check "Native resolution", or, try custom resolution of 256x256 just to see how if affects speed - it WILL look ugly though).
    • Tick enable HW hacks -> configure -> skipdraw-1 (Hardware mode only). If you have any issue disable it. (It works for most games)
    • Choose the highest instruction set (eg: sse41 for hardware mode, AVX For Software mode).
    • Try different direct3d renderers (eg: direct3d9, direct3d10, direct3d11, See which works best for you).

For Weak/Medium Machines:
    • Usually the default settings are the best but I'll mention some tweaks.
    • Enable the three Recommended Speed hacks First. (They may be Checked by default)
    • Move both EE Cycle rate & VU cycle steal slider by 1 to the right. If your game is Still slow increase it by 1 again.
    • Set Round Mode To Nearest & IOP Clamping Mode to None under EE/IOP tab. (If any Game have Problems running, Change Them Back To Default)
    [Can cause Sound syncing problem with EE Cycle rate enabled, Game play might feel sluggish with VU cycle steal enabled. Some Games accept Speed hacks nicely & Some do not. So increase them wisely and at your own risk]

For Medium/Strong Machines:
    • Usually the default settings are the best but I'll mention some helpful tweaks.
    • Speed hacks are usually not necessary and can be left unchecked.
    • Try to enable MTVU at the Speed hacks panel of the configuration (Useful only if you have 3+ cores). With this u can get about 25% extra speed in your games.
    • If you use GSDX in software mode and if it lags, do this:
      Config>Video(GS)>Plugin Settings>Extra Rendering Threads to 2 (If dual core), 3 (If More Than dual core)

Other settings, which were not mentioned above are best left at their defaults.

*Update 15/12/2013
    Screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Use highest version you can since it will be faster for you in this order from slowest to fastest: SSE2, SSSE3, SSE4.1, AVX and AVX2

[​IMG]
    GSdx9 Plugin SW Mode (Not Recommended if you have newer DirectX Version, GSdx10, GSdx11 available.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Update 15/8/2014

[quote author=Blyss Sarania, PCSX2 Forum Member]This guide is for general PCSX2 troubleshooting. It contains answers to the most common problems that get asked over and over and over on the forum. [/quote]

All Credits for creation of this Troubleshooting FAQ goes to Blyss Sarania, a friend of mine at Pcsx2 forums.

For the best performance you should have the latest Video and Sound drivers in your PC.

Update your Graphic Card Drivers:
    Intel
    Nvidia
    AMD

Update your DirectX:
    Web updater
    Offline Installer

Useful Links:
    Imgburn - A Free and useful tool for ripping ISOs.
    Download PCSX2 - Official installer - Get official Installer here.
    SVN nightly development builds - Latest unstable development builds, sometimes faster, sometimes more broken. Use at your own risk.
    PCSX2 wiki - Info on specific games and possible tweaks to optimize them for PCSX2.

After you've read this, if you ask for help at the forum, it's VERY IMPORTANT that you include the following information:

Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
    The version of PCSX2 you are using.
    Any non default settings you are using, preferably a Preset number.
    What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thanks to the PCSX2 team for making the emulator.
    Hope New users find this helpfull. :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I've yet to see a dual GPU laptop where you can control this. In my experience the driver guesses which is most appropriate and if it gets it wrong there's no way to override it.

3. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

I've never seen either but i read about this back when i was refering a Guide for myself. So i thought i should post it too.

4. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Wow, really good guide mate.
    Hope it helps a lot of people :)

5. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Thanks Xeni :)

6. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Good work!

Off the top of my head, I think I always play it using native resolution and enable all speed hacks and most games play fine for me, I've never bothered trying to tweak it anymore. I might try a few of those advanced tweaks and see if I can improve it.

7. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

*Update 15/12/2013

Screens Added.
    A few General Tips Added.

8. Joel16

Joel16 Well-Known Member

Nice guide mate, very detailed :D

9. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

I was going through my old posts and i found this. I think I can explain this one.
    After pcsx2 v 1.0.0 came out, in newer SVN Revisions, the GS Plugins had a change Adapter Option, which lets you select the Internal Graphics or the Dedicated Graphics Card.

Stole this image link from some user :p
    [​IMG]

That's what this means, select the Dedicated Graphics Card if you have one, not the Integrated.

Not just that, i can see in my systems Context Menu an option that says

"Run with Graphics Processor" >> "High Performance Nvidia Graphics Processor" / "Integrated Graphics"

This Option appears for Games, Emulators, Steam etc.

10. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

↑ Loony you saw this right?

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yeah I did, I guess things have moved on from when dual gpu laptops first started appearing.

12. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

*Update 15/8/2014

Added Link to a Troubleshooting & FAQ.
    See first Post (Link highlighted in Red)

13. Lupinthe24

Lupinthe24 New Member

I BADLY want to play Wild Arms 5 on my PCSX2, Im sure it can handle it cuz all the .hack games run fine. WildArms5 runs pretty good but when im running around, the main character runs slow with major lag at like around 30fps-40fps. What can I do to fix this? Im a huge fan of the games and want to play it specifically on PC. I am very greatful for the help and thank you VERY much for anyone who helps me.

HP
    AMD A8-3520M APU
    ATI Radeon HD Graphics
    1.60Ghz
    Installed memory (RAM) 6.00GB
    64 bit OS
    (I believe this is a duel core processor btw)

14. Blazemax

Blazemax Well-Known Member

Its not your computer, its the emulator itself. some games work, others lag, some dont even work at all. Even on the best computers, they still do this. If you want to play it perfectly, you can buy a modded ps2 and go from there, or fiddle around with the configurations. sometimes it might help a little, but dont expect it to work perfectly....unless it does.