1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Paralympics

Discussion in 'Debates' started by smiler, Sep 7, 2008.

1. smiler

smiler Member

i just wanted members opinions on
    why the Paralympics are not covered as much as the Olympics were
    These athletes have gone through some really bad ordeals in there life
    and they have got to the paralympics yes they aren't in the same class as the Olympics
    in some people opinion but surely to get there against the odds make them the real winners
    i really enjoyed the Olympics and the coverage on the TV
    but i find it annoying when they dint get the same treatment

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

institutional discrimination against disabled people. There's not really anything anyone can do about it.

3. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Not many people know about it, and loony is right. Disabled people deserve a chance too.

4. Skambu

Skambu Well-Known Member

I watch it.
    It's on 2 different channels where I live, not big channels, but it's there.

5. phishfood

phishfood Member

Maybe its not covered as much because the general populace are able bodied and most have never had family members who were physically disabled in any way so they cannot relate to these athletes who are and so bear no interest in them.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

That's what loony said, put on "nicer friendlier" words, "normal" people don't care about differently abled people :'(

7. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

Basically, it's for TV, people wanna see what "Abled" humans can do, surpassing physical capabilities, unlike hte different;y abled people, who are just like watching osmething in a real life.

I do believe it should be covered as much as the olympics, but it's also hard watching some people struggle....

Maybe there is a reason on why it's not shown, opposed to my reasons...

**I'm not being harsh or anything....

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

The reason?

God damn profit.

Would the greedy corporate execs profit if they aired or covered the paralympics?

9. anandjones

Probably not, not many people would tune in.

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Or worse, those who would tune in might watch to gawk at &/or to laugh at the differently abled struggling. This especially applies to the differently abled in terms of the psycho-cognitive aspect.

11. anandjones

Hmm, they are covering the Paralympics here on Channel 1, but there's been no news or anything, so not many people know it's been broadcasting.