1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Paper Craft, My new hobby!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhith, Jan 17, 2009.

1. zanzetzuken19

zanzetzuken19 Well-Known Member

papercraft is challenging!! haha now that i have free-time i started to build a simple papercraft kirby!!! it takes time..^^,

2. wolfshark

wolfshark Active Member

sweet i might have a new hobby as well thank you for sharing rhith!

3. zanzetzuken19

waaaaaaaa..im having a hard time connecting small parts of a papercraft any tips??

4. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

Toothpicks to apply VERY thin layers of glue, toothpicks to apply pressure, tweezers are also great if you have a pair. Another thing I do for getting into smaller areas is using a pencil/toothpick/skewer/back end of x-acto knife too apply pressure and use your other hand on the outside. If you can give me a picture of what part you're working on I can help you the best I can.

And while I'm at it, updates!

I painted my Link hat finally!
    [​IMG]

And for holding Toothpicks for gluing I made Voodoo Stubey!
    http://paperkraft.blogspot.com/2009/01/voodoo-stubey-paper-toy.html
    [​IMG]

5. zanzetzuken19

haha nice papercrafts! well its my first time making a simple kirby papercraft so i had a hard time..gladly i finished it! wahahaha! im

currently working on ang off on the zelda fairy..its pretty small again haha!

6. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Full size images here:
    http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/LaserRhith/millennium%20falcon/

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Holy crap a Millenium Falcon model, nice :D

Messa like ;D

8. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

holy crap... that thing is HUGE
    and a lot of parts...

9. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Damn that Millenium Falcon is FUCKING AWESOME.

I just started on Papercraft a few weeks ago, and it's also turning into my favorite pastime :) It's cheap, relaxing, and incredible geeky. So far I've made about 15 models, including the AT Walker, all the Gundams from Gundam Wing, and all the Simpsons characters.

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

You guys are lucky because you can do all these awesome models, I on the other hand suck at using scissors :(

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

try origami then, I'm not much good with scissors either.

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Well I do play with Origami art from time to time, it's just that this new school of thought involving cutting & pasting is so much intricate & outstanding. Take that millenium falcon model, that's pretty wicked.

Oh & since it also falls under paper craft, I also find papier mache fascinating.

13. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

A BIG help when you're doing more complicated works is using an x-acto knife to cut them out.
    I use a #1 X-acto knife with a self healing cutting mat and it makes things so much easier. For big parts I still use scissors though, but mainly to cut out the general size and the flat lines.
    the X-acto knife only costs around $2, for the healing mats though, they retail for about $15 and only for around $11, it's what you see the millennium falcon sitting on. And for a size gauge, each of those squares is 1 inch by 1 inch

14. rush n kaos

i'm curious, how does the mat 'self heal'?

15. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

Well it doesn't "heal" but it's a type of rubber that doesn't leave cut marks in it so when you're cutting something over the same spot it doesn't have pits and lines in that that can mess up whatever you're cutting.

16. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

I use an old wooden board as my cutting pad. I prefer Staedtler cutters rather than knives. I have shaky hands, and hobby knives often slip when I try to cut :p

17. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

To each their own, I understand about the shaky hands, I have that problem as well. Just takes a bit of practice. Another great thing about self healing mats is that they have some give for the point so it makes them last longer, and when you're working with heavier card stock it allows you to cut through it all the way a bit easier.
    Maybe later I'll gather up all my supplies and just take a picture of it.

AND! I'm still waiting to see some paper crafts that all of you are working on. :)

18. rush n kaos

sounds logical
    i can't take a photo of the tiny thing i made hahah... don't know how to work my dad's huge-ass camera and i have yet to try Photobucket, etc... it's really basic anyways

19. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter if it's basic. I started out with things that the tabs just fit together. You can always host pictures on imageshack as well and you won't need an account.

20. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

Shadow has a buddy!
    [​IMG]