1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Obtaining a password

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Lephantome92, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Lephantome92

Lephantome92 Well-Known Member

But that's the easy way!! Haha well, I have Pokemon, and he knows I <3 playing it, even though I'm 18, and this would help me get far-away Pokemon that I can't in my game. Well, I'll see if it works. 'Course, I hafta play dumb and not know where to find the WEP key, but maybe. Juust maybe.

2. Lephantome92

Well, I asked my dad, and he said "sure" to getting the WEP key, but it was in the "I'll say what you want but won't do it" way :( Somehow my Wii has it, but I can't find out why. Anyone know when the Pokemon Black/White trailer was put up on the Nintendo Channel?
    Post Merge: [time]1293665357[/time]
    Here's proof: this comment was done on my Wii. I still can't crack the WEP key :(

3. Lephantome92

so I just found out: the Wii uses a different type of security that's not a WEP key. this greatly saddens me. :(

4. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

EDIT : Didn't read previous posts

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

What ever security your Wii is using the connect to the wireless network, any other device has to use to connect to the same network. So unless your Wii is connected to a separate wireless network... you are misunderstanding something.

6. Lephantome92

The network's security key that the Wii uses is WPA2-Personal. Unless I'm sadly missing something, I can't find any way to use that security key for mah DS

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

DS does not support anything other than wep. that is one of many stupid decisions nintendo made.

8. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, the DSi supports more security settings than just WEP, but I can't name them all. Even then, they're still limited.

9. Lephantome92

I'm saving money for (among other things) a 3DS, so Imma not get a DSi/xl

10. Lephantome92

Is there any way to find the WEP key through it's unique identifier on windows 7? If it's possible, (though I highly doubt it is) please show me how!! Also, would getting the pass phrase help at all?

11. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

the pass phrase could help, and there are ways of identifying a wep key without permission, but it's strictly illegal

12. TirithRR

There is no WEP key. Your wireless network uses WPA. Look all you want, you won't be able to find a WEP key. If you want to connect your DS to your existing wireless network, you have to change your wireless network to use WEP security rather than WPA.

Depending on where you live, this may/may not be a good idea. Personally my home wireless network is WEP, but I live in a secluded area with very few neighbors and little threat of anyone trying to piggy back free internet on my connection. And I keep an eye on my network, so I know what is connected to it.

13. Lephantome92

I read some stuff online about if the pass phrase is converted to hex, it's what the WEP key is. I have no idea for myself, so is that the truth or are people posting random crap to throw people off on the internet?

14. TirithRR

When you setup the WEP security on your wireless router, you put a pass phrase into it. It generates the 8 digit Hexadecimal WEP Key. But I do not believe you can get the WEP key by just having the pass code, the router just uses the pass code to generate a "random" key for you.

But this doesn't mean anything with WPA security. WPA uses a code that is Alpha-Numeric, and can use symbols, and is up to 63 characters long. Which is one of the reasons it is a lot more secure, it's harder to "guess" (brute force) the code. Your router is currently setup using WPA. There is no WEP Key, there is no Pass Code, and your DS cannot connect to it because your DS does not support WPA.

15. Lephantome92

Gimme a little bit, I'll try and post a pic of what I think shows the pass phrase with Cisco Connect Valet or whatever it is

16. TirithRR

A picture won't mean anything. I'm not sure if you are trying to do something else now, or are just not understanding what you've been told.

Your Wii is currently connected to your wireless network. You said it uses WPA2. This means that your Wireless network is setup to use WPA, and not WEP. The DS only supports WEP. In order to connect a DS to your wireless network, the wireless network must use no security or WEP security. You cannot connect your DS to your current wireless network without changing the settings of your router. This would mean you would have to go back to every device connected to your wireless network and change their settings to connect correctly once you change the router settings.

17. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

changing to wep would also make it ridiculously easy for someone else to break into your network as well. wep is criminally insecure and should never be used under any circumstances.

18. TirithRR

Except in my case, like I mentioned earlier, where I have no neighbors close enough to even bother. Unless I'm worried that the family of squirrels in the tree across the road is going to piggy back on my wifi. Those damn rodents...

Just some info:
    I live in a forested area, on about two acres of land, house near the middle of it. I have a Linksys WRT54G router. So really, unless someone is setting up camp on my property, they aren't in range of my wireless signal.

19. Lephantome92

Sorry for getting on your nerve!! It was only shortly after my last post that I had that "I'm a complete blind idiot" moment, remembering about how the Wii was connected. So yeah, I'm sorry for ticking you off.
    On a side note, would a Nintendo Wifi adapter be safe?

20. TirithRR

They work, but not well. They had a lot of issues, and a lot of consumers gave them bad reviews. I don't think they are produce anymore due to the problems they had.