1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Obtaining a password

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Lephantome92, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Lephantome92

Lephantome92 Well-Known Member

I already responded to that, right after he posted. If this sounds nasty, it's not, I'm just saying that he won't want me to have his user password stored where I can access it freely and with no remorse. If I did, then he'd just change the password after giving it to me, and boom, no luck.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I meant the password for the wireless router, not the password to his computer. Most people won't use a WEP password for their usual passwords, since it's just an ten digit hexadecimal number. Majority of people use some remember able combination of words, numbers, dates, pieces of words, etc.

So you can ask him for the WEP key without fearing that somehow a password of his will be compromised. I can almost guarantee that the WEP key on the router is not the same as his login password for his computer.

3. Lephantome92

Haha honestly, thank you Tirith!! I looked it up, and I will definitely look for the WEP key, seeing how as it's easy to get that!! Why I never thought of looking up the actual phrase WEP is unknown to me, but tomorrow, I try!!

4. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

I know this program that can crack into any internet password. it's called... meh I won't post it here I'll get banned

5. Lephantome92

Grr looked on youtube, and found some directions for windows 7 (the system I'm using), but when I got lucky that the computer was unlocked, I didn't find the symbol. According to the video, there should be a small icon showing the network details on the lower right. No luck. I tried opening the Network and Sharing Center to find the WEP key, an had no luck :(

6. TirithRR

You won't be able to find the WEP key just sitting around in a file or setting, unless he wrote it down in a TXT file somewhere (not likely).

7. Lephantome92

so the video was likely a hoax?

8. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

That makes the situation a bit different if you're running windows 7 >:D
    More than likely, you're connected wirelessly, right?
    If so, click the bars icon in your task bar, right click the wireless connection, and choose properties. Then click show characters below network security key >:D

9. Lephantome92

The vid showed that, and I looked at the taskbar on my dad's computer (which is windows 7) who has the main signal,and didn't find the bars. I might need to look on my mom's computer then (same OS) and see if I get it there, but she locks her computer more frequently than my dad, so...

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

if its a desktop it probably isnt using wireless.

11. Lephantome92

how does it get the signal? There aren't any ethernet cables attached to either desktop. It'd be hard to miss my mom's, because my dad would have to drill through the floor to feed the cable. Plus, there aren't any plugged in to the router. (well, there's one, but its end is freely dangling down, whilst both computers are getting internet; I believe that is irrelevant)

12. Loonylion

you dont have to drill through the floor, my computer is upstairs and the modem downstairs, and we havent done any drilling (dad doesnt want the cables permanently installed).We have wireless but the access point is in my room upstairs. It sounds like yours is using wireless though.

13. Lephantome92

Haha same position in my house!! My mom's computer is immediately above my dad's computer and thus the router!!

14. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

Okay, just to verify, there is no wireless icon?

you should have one of the following..

wired: [​IMG]
    Wireless: [​IMG]

If you have neither, I'll tell ya how to find them :p

15. Lephantome92

I don't have either. I've tried using the icon immediately to the right of the arrow for more icons, and all I could do was open the Network and Sharing Center. I've tried looking for "connection" icons on the options, but I don't think I got anything. I'm on my grandpa's computer right now for this reply (XP, but not in the network), so I can't check for about 1 1/2 hours. If it's possible to get it, the kid computer where I usually do all my techie-stuff is Vista in Safe Mode, but it's attached to an ethernet cable.

16. Lephantome92

Grr!! Just looked, and apparantly his comp is in fact wired into the router. any way to still find the key without aircrack?
    Post Merge: [time]1288548833[/time]
    or, because it's wired, is all hope of finding the WEP key lost?

17. Lephantome92

So after hours of google with no results, is there a way (other than aircrack) to obtain a WEP key from a wired computer?

18. Loonylion

no because if its not using wireless it doesnt have a wep key...

19. Lephantome92

that really sucks!! And Idk my dad's things for accessing the linksys router manager (not the n&s center), so that stinks!!

20. TirithRR

Just tell your dad you want to play games online with your DS and need to know the WEP key...