1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Now what should I do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by toffster92, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

This is your dream, Toffee. Don't let a little adversity and self-doubt get the better of you. You've been wanting this since you were a kid. Everyone who studies eventually gets this phase of questioning oneself and I'm sure that if you switch majors there is a good chance you'll be back in here in a years time posting about how you'd rather be an animator or a teacher or a janitor. I went through the same thing but ended up dropping out back in 2005. The doubt is something you have to work through.

What you need is a little inspiration, the same inspiration you had when you first decided to cure cancer and be a badass labcoat. What is your inspiration, and who are you doing it for? Your family? Your dream? Yourself?

EDIT: Oh wow, this post came out way more awesome in my head.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Your mistake was not in getting that job, it was in not realising after 3-4 years that it was time to move on and find something else. had you realised you could found another job and have given in your notice before you got fired.

3. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Funny thing is I actually had you in mind when typing out that last bit. I don't ever see you go "OH YAY I LOVE MY JOB" but at the same time you're a professional who knows how to get shit done.

EDIT: I do however hate that my idea of the concept of "networking" is ALWAYS going to be associated with a certain Maddox-esque picture of two business dudes shaking hands and one going "Hey, I'm Hypr, glad to meet you!" You wonderful bastard.

4. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Hey, something I actually remember seeing for myself back in the day! How about that.

Man, that rant influenced my views a fair bit.

5. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

You have to see it through far enough in order to really understand what you are capable of
    yourself. i can see that you question your job in the medical fields or computer technology,
    but I think you are afraid of your days becoming monotonous and on the top of that the
    amount of people you have to deal with.

You can do it either way whichever is most comfortable for you after all this is something
    that will effect you in the long run my good sir. A computer programmer would be more repeti-
    tive in sitting on his/her butt all day compared to a doctor who goes from door to door with the
    actually physical nuances he has to deal with. The medical field has so much in store for
    you once you start seeing the bigger picture, how you say, well let me see?:

1)more people need healthcare.
    2)You are not on your butt for an extended amount of time.
    3)You actually have a fixed income...more or less.
    4)You interact with a variety of people no matter how good or bad they may seem.
    5)You could use your knowledge in other various parts of the world.

While in the dark corner of the office you will, well let me see?:

1)Have your eyes glued to the computer thinking of the ultimate script.
    2)not so much contact with the outside world.
    3)More coffee than necessary...or more toffee than necessary.
    4)A difficult time trying to find a fixed income.
    5)your knowledge is only limited to data logic.

i am tyring to weigh out the two sides for you comrade and nothing more, just make sure that
    you have a positive outlook towards the rest of you life. Anyways...LOVE AND PEACE!!!!!!!!

6. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

No you're not. You are only listing the positives of medical and the negatives of computer programming.

7. 2DamCerius

Both fields have their positive and negative sides to them. But if I were to list the negative side of becoming a doctor it would only discourage and propel him from seeing its benefits compared to programming.

i understand why he has a dilemma of this sort and contemplation should be up to him.

8. someirishkid

someirishkid Well-Known Member

Well then you should help him instead of trying to force your own opinions on him.

9. 2DamCerius

What? i was not being coersive.

he has the choice in the matter. The current studying he has already done is the background work of the medical field, which he has. Since the U.S. has third world healthcare he would land a job in the market more easily. The only way to tackle this in our current situation is to see the supply of doctors and the demand for them.

nation wide we are looking for more doctors compared to the gaming industry.

10. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

I spent one-and-a-half years working for a retail store as a cashier and stock boy just to pay through college. It was my second job along with the on-campus tutoring job I had. I eventually quit that job when I was able to tutor full-time at school, which was definitely much more better than working two jobs at once.

Then, I spent three years working for a small engineering company. The job was bullshit though, as the company wasn't doing any real engineering work at all. Funny thing was that small company became a customer to another engineering services company, and through that engineering services company, I got to know a lot about the people and their facility there. Within three weeks, I filed my resignation letter, and got hired by the engineering services company, in which I'm currently employed there.

Now, I realize that no matter what company I work for, there are things I'm going to have to put up with. Which is why I'm working towards becoming an independent consultant in either power engineering, or reliability / six-sigma reliability engineering. Whichever it is, I will welcome it.

To put up with that same job for four years is a waste, especially since there is no where to progress from that job position. You got fired by your own boredom, which, I'm sorry to say, is a dumb move. What you should have done is resign from that job on good terms, no matter how bad things were, or how much you hated your employer.

Many people don't have a choice, or have the luxury to make that option. People have bills and expenses to pay. However, I do completely agree that chasing money constantly isn't the way to go. What people should be aiming for is becoming self-sufficient such that they can bring business to themselves (consulting being one option.)

11. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Thats the point im making, if he is going to be so bored or dislike the job and wishes he was somewhere else its going to go tits up. If you're going to spend what, 5 years at uni? You should make sure you are definately going to enjoy the job or its a complete waste. Not many employers would give a "normal" job to a medical graduate because he would be overqualified, they always know they will move on as soon as a better offer comes along, he would basically be stuck in medicine. The good side to that is there are lots of different areas.

12. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

How does he know that he won't like his new career and that he will like programming or anything programming related? He's still in uni after all.

Also you're missing one of Hypr's points: To put up with that same job for four years is a waste, especially since there is no where to progress from that job position.. The medical field is a somewhat competitive one, competition to better oneself, in itself is enjoyable to a large number of people.

I also like the point that Suis brought up, don't mix your hobby with work.

13. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Thats why I said take a year out and try programming.

Who said there was nowhere to progress to? It is a very large company, there were plenty of higher jobs I could have moved into, the problem is waiting for someone in those positions to step down or move on, who is going to give up a fantastic job? I was heading up the ladder chasing a career, the next step would have been manager.