1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Not illegal to download roms?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jabaash2, Aug 17, 2010.

1. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-100719-chicken-nugget-caper,0,5907552.story

It depends.

2. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

Well I only read the title but isn't there a difference between stealing and sharing?

3. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

...not me :p
    [me=Yoshi2889]is downloading Art Academy....oops[/me]

No

4. doughboy

doughboy Guest

its illegal period.....

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Not in terms of copyright laws. Sharing is only legal if you have permission from the copyright holder. You can't legally share what isn't legally yours.

6. usernameladiesman217

Ah yeah that's true. We researched "terms of agreement" when installing a program or game in school today. Turns out that the game you purchase never really becomes your property, you only buy the rights to install and play it on your pc. So in essence lending a game to a friend may be seen as illegal.

7. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

In Belgium, it's legal to download everything, but illegal to upload.
    I do both :)

8. Merugop

Merugop Member

Depends on where

9. yoshi2889

YAY

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Here in the Philippines you are free to download anything & everything you want, same goes for uploading stuff onto the net.

The only illegal thing to do here is to mass produce whatever digital media you downloaded & sell it to make a profit. Oh but wait! Even if that's illegal people still do it :p

Heck, even the local "law enforcers" are in on it as well. So long as you give them protection money, your wares will be untouched.

11. raaat

raaat Well-Known Member

actually it's still illegal, we just don't have enough laws to enforce it. The only law we have against piracy is the RA 9239, which forbade anyone to burn the files they downloaded "illegally". Other than that it's free game for everyone. Fun fact people in the Philippines rarely buy original video games or software for that matter, since it costs around P2000-P3000 (which is around 70 US dollars) a game.

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

You really can't explain to people outside the country how ridiculously expensive games are to us unless you give them an analogy. Say our monetary unit is the American Dollar, now go by saying, in our country 1 original game costs 2,000~3,000 US Dollars.

Add to this what I said earlier, that corrupt law enforcers ( & even Government officers) do partake in the country's Piracy syndicate. You don't believe me? Then why does Caloocan North Mall or even that one mall in Quiapo that has stalls selling pirated stuff still around? Government Protection my friend.

13. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

No, what you actually need to supply are two other pieces of information: the average salary and the price of a commodity item, such as a loaf of bread.

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Ah good idea :)

Unfortunately the amount of Minimum Wage one earns in this country is dependent on which region you're from with some areas having better values & with other not so.

In the Capital, the mandated minimum wage is currently at 382Php or roughly $7.60USD per day. The sad thing is most employers are trying to find ways to curb this by either mass lay off to cut down the number of employees to give salaries to, or cutting off a day or two of one's working days to compensate for an increase in pay. Given these "options" most employees would rather choose to work for more days with lesser pay, rather than working for lesser days with a measly 22 peso increase in their daily wage.

So let's use the value I mentioned, daily wage is 382Php a day ($7.60USD) and the cost of a loaf of bread is somewhere between 45~60Php, that's roughly around $1.50USD.

15. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

oh so you live in phil too?

16. yoshi2889

But is downloading ROMs illegal in Holland?
    Just wanna know...

17. usernameladiesman217

minimum wage in South Africa is R10 an hour.
    that's give or take 1.25 dollars

18. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

no,
    downloading is legal,
    uploading is illegal (look out, Kiekoes!)

19. yoshi2889

GREAT >:D

20. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

where i live, it is illegal to do both, but the law doesnt really care about it :p. its so stupid because there lots of places that sell pirated dvds and pirated games. so, yeah, i do both :)