1. This forum is in read-only mode.

North Korea - Issues

Discussion in 'General News' started by Patton, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

well, if you read our constitution, we are dont support any nuclear weapons, even if its only passing thru our country or building for selling purpose. What is supported is nuclear energy, not weapons

2. ultra

ultra Guest

even if north korea has nukes, bombing local countries isn't going to do much for them and it still raises the same issues that i have mentioned about the US.

what exactly do they intend to prove and what exactly do they hope will happen and obtain from bombing nearby nations of asia? i don't particularly see a reasoning for north korea on bombing nearby nations.

the cold war is over and using the nukes to obtain south korea will give every right for local nations to strike back at you. i believe what north korea is probably doing is testing the limits of the actions the UN will undergo.

3. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

I really do not think N. Korea have any intention of firing missiles at anyone, this test of missle technology was to show the world that N. Korea is capable of advanced rocketry. They are saying, 'hey look what we can do with no help from anyone else', their aim is to impress.
    The leaders in N. Korea have effectively a job for life, no one can vote them out and there is no signs of any revolution occuring for a very long time, war would do nothing but weaken their position and destabalise their leadership. They cannot gain more power through war as they already have absolute power within their borders, and I really doubt they would be so stupid to attempt any kind of border expansion.

4. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Holy fucking balls you must not keep up with current events. You realize that North Korea is betraying the wishes of the UN and just about any sensible country on the god damn planet? They were warned not to launch the satellite, and for damn good reason, but they did anyways. I'm almost insulted that you think they're just in any way. North Korea makes nuclear threats against South Korea and Japan frequently. Sometimes Kim Jong-il gets bored and fires rockets over the Eastern coast of Japan just to show the world that they can. It's an oppressive militaristic country run by a braindead soulless prick. The fact that you think the United States is more of a dick than North motherfucking Korea baffles me beyond any amount of swears I can throw into this post.

Figured I'd add this to see what everyone else thinks:
    - China is vastly important to North Korea for trade.
    - The rest of the U.N. can't tell China to cut it's friendly veneer because of the money that China is loaning to the U.S. and other countries.
    - ... because if that aide is removed, the U.S. economy, and then as a result, the world economy, will crumble.

tl;dr: North Korea isn't going to stop threatening other countries irrationally with nuclear weapons with complete disregard to life that has been seen with the majority of North Korean citizens (nono, I'm wrong here, that 99.9% landslide election was totally legit.) because they will have a sustainable way of life as long as they maintain Chinese trade, which certainly won't diminish.

Am I in the ballpark with this theory? I don't want any of this typically uneducated "US SUCKS LPOL" bullshit that makes up the majority of political posts here (It's particularly funny when it comes from citizens of some really shitty countries though, I must say), but I want to hear some actual discussion if any of you are capable of partaking in any sort of legitimate social situation. I'm somewhat interested.

5. ultra

ultra Guest

exactly and there could be other implication of what this action may mean.

6. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

@ Void, you are quite correct when you point out the cruelty many N. Koreans live under, many people according to the UN have starved to death in the past years. I think you may overestimate the trade links wih China as N. Korean metal and mineral exports are sold worldwide.

I have a feeling that N. Korea may use this attention to renew contact with the USA. According to the atomic energy agency they have shut down the main reactor and were, until recently, dismantling the nuclear program. My guess is they are seeking some aid agreement with the US now that Obama is in power. Maybe they think a better deal will be on offer now that many of the hawks in the US are out of power.

7. damanali

Well, the cold war is still not over, if you define "cold war" a war between 2 ideology, democracy vs. communism. North Korea is the pure communism in the world, at least china is beginning to open its doors to international trade. ( they have mcdonalds in beijing which is a contrast to communist ideology like the state owning all ".

well, the problem of N.Korea is that they joined the UN and must respect their resolutions. if they broke all ties with the UN, then its okay to let them do what they want. but as long as they are UN member, then they have no other choice.

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Also people need to remember that technically the Koreas are still at war with each other. They have an indefinite ceasefire, but they are still at war.

9. damanali

hehehe, i read an article a way back about N.Kor and S.Kor border gate, S.Koreans can cross the bother and go to N.Kor, but when they try to leave N.Kor, they get shot by the soldiers. hehehe

The UN should plan something about the reunification of N and S Korea. rather than putting pressure on N.Kor that could even spark a war and trigger the New and destructive cold war.

If they can do it on Germany, they can do it on Korea.

10. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Reunification seems, sadly, a long way off, for 3 reasons.

Unlike east and west Germany there is not enough people on the open side of Korea(south) caling for it. I admit that apart from the news I see, I only know one person from S. Korea and she is against reunification. Her reasoning is that those in the north were never like those from the south and the country should always have been split. She is around 70 years old and I honestly do not know if she is a bigot or is talking some truth from Korea's past history. Also I do not know if her attitude is normal for a south Korean. Regardless of her, I do not see S. Koreans take to the streets in the same way as W. Germans did before the fall of the berlin wall.

Second reason and this is one I am sure of, is that unlike the east/west Germany situation there is nothing on offer and nothing to be gained for the leadership in N. Korea to unify. Why would someone like Kim Jong-il give up absolute power? and if he was willing to compromise how could such an individual, used to such power, be placed in any new North/South government? Remember N. Korea would love to be known as a communist country but it is more like a monarchy with family based dictatorship.

My third reason(money); Germany was able to reunite because of two very important conditions of the time, firstly because they had EU backing, this is more important than it sounds, the European community were able to offer some finance and more importantly restructuring deals into old East Germany, this was done as a separate package to what W. Germany offered. Secondly, W. Germany realised that it would cost allot of money to go ahead with the deal but they did it anyway, they decided that short term loss was worth gaining a new cheap and skilled workforce so on the long term it was affordable. Did the West German government make the right choice? too early to say, but given the current financial climate they seem to be doing allot better than many countries in the EU.

So 3 issues to stop reunification. S. Koreans do not want it enough, no carrot for people like Kim Jong-il, and no money + no regional backing for a restructuring plan.

Of course if Kim Jong-il was to die, this may put N. Korea into chaos. I wish N. Korean's voices could be heard regardless of how things are.

11. damanali

Yes, like Cuba, if Fidel Castro died, then Cuba will be mostly democratic. Thats the problem with Communism, as long as the Strongman lives, then there is no change unless they died. When Stalin died, most of Russia leans on democratic ideas which lead to the dissolution of the USSR and back to Russia. But in China, i think communism is good for that country with a population over a billion. If you give China democracy, then it should have like the US, divided in many states but under one Central government. Then they should clear that Tibetan issue

12. ultra

ultra Guest

not necessarily. if the people don't want to change then it'll stay as communists. it also depends on who becomes in charge next. the person who becomes in charge next will more likely cause the country to change.

13. damanali

i believe that that the cubans mostly wants democracy, remember the bay of pigs?
    but i really do hope that change will happen soon, in N.Korea, as long as they dont cooperate, thousands of people are going hungry and probably dies as a result. they mostly import their food and other raw materials, but if the UN blocks those imports, then it will give N.Korea a big problem not just for the leader but mostly for the the N.Koreans

14. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

I very much doubt that any further trade sanctions against N. Korea would have any effect on Kim Jong-il or his (international)backers. The situation will continue as long as N. Korean natural resources can be bought cheap by America the EU, South Africa, Russia and China. If you give the N. Korean's a real stake in their country then you have to pay them a market price for their goods. Better for us in the west to let them starve.

15. damanali

What i dont get about N.Korea is that they dont really have natural resources. thats the difference between the North and South Korea. The North has the factories while the south has both the resources and man power. also the south has the support of almost all democratic nations, while the North has what? China? i think China now doesn't even care about N.Korea that why UN resolutions against N.Kor are being passed without objections.

Not like Russia years back when its against communism, its automatically vetoed and no resolution, good or bad are made.

16. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

List of natural mineral resources in N. Korea http://www.mindat.org/loc-23998.html

Includes Gold, Silver and Cobalt ore

17. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

hmmm.... you know what, N.korea might be a fine villan in Red Alert 4 XD

seriously, why everone is so worry about?

18. branraf

branraf Well-Known Member

North Korea is gonna be the cause of world war 3 at this rate. Soon, someone will attempt to remove the bloke from power by force, which will start a conflict between the governments. I believe it's only a matter of time...

19. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

world war 3 or not, the result will be a war, its going to be iraq all over again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.