1. This forum is in read-only mode.

North Africa & Middle East: End of the Dictatorships?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Bigrob8917, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Bigrob8917

Bigrob8917 Member

So, I think most of you people are following the news about all the rebellions going on in North Africa and the Middle East. Now one of the biggest, Egypt, resulted in a victory for the people, overthrowing Mumbarak and his regime.

Now more countries are following Egypt's lead, most notable Libya. Now my question is of course: Will this be the end of the Dictatorships in those regions?

To be honest, I don't think it will. True, the people want Democracy, but in my opinion, these countries are to susceptible to people with power. I wouldn't be surprised if next year in Egypt, the situation is still the same as it was before, yes maybe a little more freedom, but I don't believe there will be much change.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I think it says a lot about the region itself thats its spreading so easily. Tunisia started it, the egypt, and how there's at least 4 other countries in the region going through the same thing.

3. Bigrob8917

Bigrob8917 Member

True enough. Although I must say that I am still quite surprised that the people in Iran would started to protest again, seeming as how they got beaten up badly back in 2009. Respect to those.

4. Oteupaiecona

Oteupaiecona Well-Known Member

There is simply no way of knowing.
    The times, they are a changing...
    We can only hope for the best, but there is a very real possibility of all this ending like Iran.
    One thing is the religious indoctrination in those countries.That can seriously impede true democracy from taking place.
    But i am hoping for the best.

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Yay! Not so much indoctrination though.

The only thing I hope for is a like minded leader after the fact, which I doubt will happen.

6. Oteupaiecona

What would you call it then?

7. Eadelas

Eadelas Well-Known Member

It's a part of the Arab culture that the people who rule them are harsh and, yes, dictatorial. There's just something not right with that culture that breeds hatred and revenge. Maybe it's because they live in the desert. Desert life may have bred a hard people with a fatalistic culture. This all happened before and it didn't turn out good.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

To be honest these revolutions/uprisings do not impress me one bit as the victories were won with casualties both minimal & sever such as minor injuries to even death. And what's worse is that both the Revolutionaries & the Government forces were so riled up that innocents, bystanders & people who do not want anything to do in the riots got hurt &/or mugged/robbed as well :p

Even several of my countrymen working at Libya were affected by this uprising:

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/news/breakingnews/view/20110225-322176/13-Filipinos-flee-to-Egypt-1-back-in-Manila

If you really want to hear about an awe inspiring "Bloodless" Revolution, that title belongs to our very own "People Power Revolution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_power

Which by the way we're celebrating its 25th Anniversary right now :)

Oh & by the way....

I'm kinda caught in the middle of this statement. True we won EDSA 1 using Faith as a weapon, but 25 years after the Revolution, the Catholic Church still butts in on serious & important matters like the "Reproductive Health" Bill, acceptance of homosexuality & the reinstatement of the Death Penalty :p

9. Oteupaiecona

But the ones in Egypt, Tunisia and those other countries have been relatively pacific.
    I'm actually surprised at the low level of violence considering the countries this is happening on.

Blargh...i used to be a Catholic.
    Let me guess, that "Reproductive Health" Bill has something to do with not using condoms, and forbidding abortion, right?
    Gotta keep those baptism numbers up, no matter how much STD's are spread or how many women have to suffer undesired pregnancies.

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Actually the bill is for allowing the use of contraception & family planning as well as teaching sexual education in schools as well as teaching about STI's & AIDS, something most productive" countries already have as a part of the usual school curriculum. As for abortion, even without the influence of the church the majority of my countrymen are against it.

11. Oteupaiecona

Oh, so the church opposes the bill.
    I thought it was something they were endorsing.