1. This forum is in read-only mode.

No computer issues when I take them to school, but have them at home...

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Tomoka, Feb 11, 2011.

1. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Depends on how bad it is. For light dust, I'd go with the air can, but if it on there pretty good, then I'd go with the alcohol. Just don't use water...

Either something local or something on the network. You still have the cause of the problem floating around somewhere, but you have disabled its function through COMODO. Kind of like a virus gone into remission. The effects are gone, but the virus is still there.

Ideally, you'll want to get rid of whatever's causing the slowdown, but this is a decent outcome.

2. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

Got it. Lol @ Using water. xD
    I believe it to be the router at this point...If it isn't the router, I'll change ISPs. I know it's one or the other because a freshly factory restored laptop connected to the network while nothing else is connected has issues. :p

3. insanecrazy07

Go to the front page of COMODO, and you should see towards the bottom two arrows, one red and one green. Monitor those numbers while you're connected to the router. If it spikes past say, 50 on either without you doing anything, then open up whichever one has the spike and note the processes that are demanding a large number of connections.

That might give you a hint at what is causing the slowdown. Like I said before, my HP printer will sometimes spike it past 600 connections, which is absolutely useless if I'm not printing something. Also, your router is sending echo requests, which is basically worthless data being sent back and forth. It may be the echo requests or it may be something else. It may not be the computers connected to the network, but another device that still is (like a printer, Xbox360, iPod, etc.).

At this point, your problem is resolved, but it would be nice to have proof of what the actual cause is.

4. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

It never goes above 50 for either of them...And now it seems that overnight the issues returned.. Anything else I should try?

EDIT: Just cleaned out the fans...There wasn't much on them, and it didn't appear to help anything.

5. insanecrazy07

Actually, 50 was just an arbitrary number. I've got about 14 connections outgoing, and that's with firefox open.

6. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

I have around 17 with Firefox open...

And I dunno whether this matters or not, but I had it set to "Game mode" overnight accidentally...I've since rebooted and had no issues.

does it still sound like a network/internet thing?

7. insanecrazy07

No idea now. Complete shot in the dark, but I'm thinking it's a benign process that's eating up your resources.
    What is this "Game Mode?" Is it a feature in COMODO? I don't think I have that...

8. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

Right click the icon in your taskbar, and choose game mode. :p

Anyways...My issues are now back..All the inbound/outbound connections are "svchost.exe"

And also, the issue isn't something eating up my resources I don't think...It's screen flashing...

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yes, its a comodo feature, it disables the 'do you want to allow this connection yes/no' prompts and at a guess says yes to everything.

This is a core windows process, but it doesnt necessarily rule out something being untoward.

10. insanecrazy07

I didn't even know that was there. Nice.

Do you have file sharing enabled? That might account for the svchost. And just so you know, I have a 2WIRE router and I don't have any of these issues.

Also, describe the screen flashing? Flashing black? Screen flashing could be anything that tries to take control of the screen directly like a program that takes screenshots (keylogger).

I'm really not sure on this one. I'd recommend deleting out your Defense+ and Firewall rules and start again. Your problems occurred because you allowed the process. Starting over, you'll be able to deductively single out the process. ONLY ALLOW things that are REQUIRED. Just because iTunes or Adobe whatever wants to connect to the internet doesn't mean you should allow it. The only thing that should be allowed to connect to the internet is your browser, and any games that require connections to play online, and obviously utorrent.

Also, if possible, take a screenshot of ALL of your processes in the Task Manager. I'd like to see what you have running.
    And take a picture of the services tab as well.

11. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be, I keep my network set to public...
    Gratz, 2WIRE's are shit. :p
    It flashes black. if I didn't know better, I'd say it was the monitor losing connection. Though if that were the case, it wouldn't fix itself sometimes.

Will do.
    That'll be a LOT of pictures, so I'll link them..

EDIT: How do I do the bolded part? >.>

12. Loonylion

actually while you're still having the issue, shutdown utorrent, open command prompt and run
    Code:
    netstat -b -p > C:\netstat.txt
    and post the text file here

also easy way to get a list of processes is
    Code:
    tasklist > c:\tasks.txt
    in command prompt

13. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

I allowed it, though it doesn't seem to have ANY info..

Code:
    Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State

14. Loonylion

ok try taking the -p out.

15. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

Code:
    Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
      TCP    127.0.0.1:49881        activate:49880         TIME_WAIT
      TCP    127.0.0.1:49968        activate:49967         TIME_WAIT
      TCP    127.0.0.1:49977        activate:49976         TIME_WAIT
      TCP    192.168.1.66:49571     192.168.1.69:microsoft-ds  CLOSE_WAIT
     Can not obtain ownership information
      TCP    192.168.1.66:49790     download:http          CLOSE_WAIT
     [cmdagent.exe]
      TCP    192.168.1.66:49791     vip1:http              CLOSE_WAIT
     [cmdagent.exe]
      TCP    192.168.1.66:49879     192.168.1.69:microsoft-ds  ESTABLISHED
     Can not obtain ownership information
      TCP    192.168.1.66:49971     hosted:http            TIME_WAIT
      TCP    192.168.1.66:49974     yx-in-f138:http        TIME_WAIT
      TCP    192.168.1.66:49980     9a:http                TIME_WAIT
      TCP    192.168.1.66:49981     yx-in-f138:http        TIME_WAIT

I won't be replying until tomorrow, night.

16. Loonylion

thats all their is? the command prompt came up before you opened the file?

17. insanecrazy07

Go into the Defense+/Firewall tabs go to Network Security Policy/Computer Security Policy and delete out all of the entries that first pop up. These are the user-input rulesets that you allowed/disallowed when it prompts for an answer. Resetting these will have the program ask for your input again. It is rather annoying to have to do this, but it is usually the only way to resolve your issue. I've reset mine at least 10 times now because of something that I blocked that I shouldn't have.

18. Loonylion

You can edit individual rules.

19. Tomoka

Tomoka Well-Known Member

Yepper.
    I can't say I understand the question. =/

Will do later, short on time this morning. :(

20. Loonylion

when you enter the command and press enter, you get a flashing cursor. You need to wait for that to disappear and the c:\xxxx> prompt to come back up before opening the file. the command can take some time to run.