1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Nintendo's on a roll.

Discussion in 'General News' started by Natewlie, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

Your jking right?I mean companies still make alot and what percentage of gamers are pirates?I'll tell you this I bet it's ALOT less than half. XD!

2. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

I'm all up for pirating certain games.

Like the DS tales games

They want me to buy them? Then bring the damn games here, i'm not about to pay $90 for a ds game, never the less one i can't even understand

3. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

You mean publishers get most of the money, right?

The developers only get whatever money the publishers want to give them. Getting in the video games industry is hard enough, imagine getting around a ~50k salary. It's alright but nothing to cry home about.

If you really want to support game developers, your best bet is to buy the games, as the publisher will often give the devs a bonus in relation to sales. Or to buy indie games, or to buy XBLA/PSN games.

4. AnimeboyX3

I have no intention of supporting the game developers honestly since I don't care if they lose money.That's just me though XD!

5. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

If you enjoy games made by a particular company, then you'll probably care if they go out of business due to pirated games losing them money. That's more of a risk for small developers than large publishers though (and yes; i know that the damage done by piracy is greatly exaggerated, but it still exists).
    PS: Your "XD" has a tiny penis on its chin

6. AnimeboyX3

Thnks for pointing that out.

Hey if I had money I wouldn't resort to pirating sooooo >.>

Yes I know money has been used as an excuse over and over sue me XD

7. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

I would, but you haven't got any money.

8. AnimeboyX3

That's right XD Remember what TirithRR Said?

I'm complete honest no money and I know it's wrong but I just don't care simple as that XD

9. bikeboy99

bikeboy99 Well-Known Member

I mean sure buy the game make copies is what your saying but say you buy a game for 30 ( pounds, dollar, etc) and make 20 copies the people that get those copies would've bought them so thats loss of income for game maker.

10. Tubey84

Tubey84 Member

A bit astonished by this.

It's like taking a company that makes blank DVD/CD's to court because people buy them and copy movies/music onto them.

Makes absolutely no sense. On its own, the R4 hardware is as harmless as your everyday USB stick. Shocking legal decision, unless the company was selling pre-loaded games on it or something...

11. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Flashcarts (sold with or without games) contain copyrighted DS boot code. Furthermore, the DMCA, controversial though it may be, prohibits unauthorised circumvention of copyrights.

Besides, flashcarts don't really have legitimate uses like blank storage media or kitchen knives do. Homebrew is a legal grey area IIRC, and most everyone that claims they have a flashcart for homebrew is lying anyway.

12. 123098

123098 Member

It shouldn't be considered illegal to have something that can play illegal roms.

It's just like the time a company was put into court for creating a PSX emulator.
    Sony lost because it didn't include any roms or any sony products; Thus,
    they were distributing their own free product.

Also, you shouldn't have restricted use on a product you bought! Nintendo shouldn't of put security on a system
    that you've bought!

13. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Why, thank you for reading my post directly above yours. I can see you took my words into account while composing your claim regarding the illegality of flashcarts.

Also, Nintendo has a right to design their products however they wish. If that means including safeguards against that which may damage a product's market viability, so be it.

14. A-Team

A-Team Well-Known Member

you cant blame them for suing. who wouldn't

15. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

16. atoms2ashes

atoms2ashes Member

As everyone can agree on, flash carts have pros and cons. Sure, pirating them makes the publishers (not developers) lose money, but then piracy can also mean a form of advertisement.

For example,

1. Person A downloads Game A. He liked it, and so he bought the original game. Profit to publishers.
    2. Person A wants to try out Game A. He bought it, and didn't like it, thus making the Publisher and Game itself to lose credibility to a consumer. Person A would broadcast the opinion, and other people would lose trust in the Publisher and game as well.
    3. Game A is not sold in area. Person A downloads game instead. He liked it, but because of Anti-Piracy, game is buggy. He decides to buy it elsewhere.

Why can't they just implement stronger Anti-Piracies then? No Save feature? Unhackable data?

17. porkiewpyne

porkiewpyne Member

I think they would if they could.

But then again, we do have people who pirate without remorse and end up not buying the original copy at the end of the day. And they would probably advertise how good it is to pirate.

18. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Every single person I've talked to in person all had the same reaction when I told them I downloaded something instead of buying it.

It usually goes like this:
    Them: Yeah I bought this program and it cost me like $X.
    Me: Well, I just went and downloaded it.
    Them: What? No way. DAMMIT! I should have done that. I wasted $X.

Or they say that's pretty damn sweet and "where can I get what you have?"

People don't think about the long-term ramifications of their actions, and if they do, they only care about themselves and what it costs them.

I fall under the second category. It costs me bandwidth, and a DVD-R most of the time. The only things I buy are things that are currently impractical to pirate, but good luck getting any kind of sales out of me since I might buy something for myself once a year.

19. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Pirating and advertising combined means that it's advertising the piracy, not the actual purchase of whatever. Also depending on sales of the product, developers get a percentage of the sales as a bonus, as I said before.

lol, unhackable. Everything gets cracked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.