1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Nintendo's on a roll.

Discussion in 'General News' started by Natewlie, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amandapanda

Amandapanda Member

Borrowing a game from a friend is stealing aswell then?

2. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Your friend payed for the game

3. Amandapanda

Amandapanda Member

What if my friend paid for it and I downloaded it?
    Nintendo still earns exactly the same amount of money.

4. rjsec4ever

rjsec4ever Well-Known Member

I pirate PC games due to system requirements: there's hardly ever a demo of a disk game ... or a 4 GB downloaded game (take Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, for example) Did you see the requirements? I want the Wii version, but the controls suck. I don't own a 360 or PS3. The PC was the way to go, but due to its requirements, is it worth it? Take a look at Sims 3, installed on WinVista/7. On my machine (HP Pavilion Slimline s3713w), the Base Score is a 3.0. Sims 3 wants a 4.0, and a minimum of 3.5. I bought the game 6:55am on the day of the release; June 2nd; after having the leaked version for 2 weeks. I got it because my wife loves the game. Sadly, you hear about EA laying off employees, yet acquiring PlayFish (Facebook -> Pet Society) for $1M USD. Why did I buy the game, when EA laid its employees off? Back to SSASR, I'm 40% done with the game, after just one day on RapidShare. Would I like to purchase a copy of the game? No. Reason: yet again, the requirements. I'd rather spend money on a better computer. Oh, and Beowulf. Try running that sucker on Vista, on my machine. I got that game with the movie for free, and as it was a game, hey why not. It doesn't work. Period. Thankfully, it was for free.
    Now, I know this debate is over piracy, and my post relates half of it, but then...

Why are you all here at RomU, if some of you are against piracy?!?

End of discussion.

5. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

We're not against piracy, we're against deluded justification of piracy. It cowardly denies responsibility, while claiming selfish entitlement. As Tirith said:

6. getbuck21

getbuck21 Well-Known Member

I only pirate games that I can't buy (M rated) and games that are too hard to find (SNES, N64, and PSX).
    Plus it doesn't help that I'm saving up for a car.. I only get physical copies of games if my parents but them for me

7. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

The only instance where I even come close (close being a relative term) to justifying piracy was when I had to take my IT class that forced me to acquire Office 2007. I had been running 2003 prior to that and none of the assignments were acceptable in 2003 formats, it had to be in the new docx, xlsx, etc. versions. Microsoft basically just took 2003, renamed it 2007, put some shitty vista-esque layouts to it, redid the ENTIRE system (which makes it stupidly confusing, and the sole reason why I had to take the damn class in the first place), and they want me to pay hundreds of dollars for this? I don't think so. Yes, I did adjust to the new system. Yes, I still have my IT lab book that is basically a huge "How-To" that I still use to do the easiest of tasks. The only improvement is the ability to call data from another file. I can insert "variables" to recall data from a specific field from an Access database to a Word document. And instead of manually typing the same message over and over with different words to go where the variable would go, I can simply mail merge and have that variable part change within each instance. I used to sell cars online using craigslist and the Make, Model, Year, Specs, would be recalled from the Access database, where the filler text would remain the same. I basically just clicked arrows to complete each ad. But even with this new feature, I heard they got some shit for it, basically copyright infringement of another company that had it first (need to look up, probably won't, so look it up yourself).

Another instance where I can almost justify doing it, is college textbooks that constantly come out with new editions making almost no changes between editions, and forcing us to pay hundreds of dollars per semester, when simply 3 or 4 editions ago would have sufficed. Not only that, but the buyback value is less than 25% of what we paid for it. I will do this because these greedy sons of bitches deserve nothing. If you think EB games was horrible on used merchandise, any college bookstore is worse. The difference between a new/used book was $10, sold that bastard back for about $30, original price was $150.

I will seriously print out every damn page of a book I need (don't need the entire book), still cost me $40 in ink, paper, etc. just to see that my money doesn't go to the greedy authors, publishers, and every middleman along the way. I would buy used ones, but the middleman, particularly the bookstore at my college makes a killing off of these, even the off-campus ones makes a killing off of their victims.

Edit:
    Oh, and a few more somewhat justifiables, although not really...
    Most of the Wii games are utter shit. We know this. I've known this ever since I've had my Wii. Most of these games, despite such great ratings that IGN, gamespot, etc. give the games that I do decide to try out, are just not for me. (These are not the utter shit ones. These are usually the best of the best, top 25 of the year etc....utter shit ones are defined as games that barely make a 6.0 on IGN's scale...) I tried RE4, reviews said that they LOVED the controls...I, on the other hand, HATED the controls. I felt like I was trying to shoot a gun (that goes for aiming as well) with a straitjacket on. Who holds A to shoot (which doesn't shoot by the way, or barrel roll or anything...)? Good thing I burned this one, and didn't rush out of my house to buy it.

I tried Dawn of Discovery and can't get past the first few tutorials before getting bored of this, having expected that this version of the game would be comparable to the PC version. Utter disappointment. Good thing I didn't rush out to buy this one either.

Star Wars: Clone Wars - Republic Heroes. I knew this would be borderline shovelware, but gave it a shot anyway because I watch the TV series. I've always liked the events foreshadowing the formation of the Galactic Empire. Still not worthy of a game to buy.

I downloaded Star Wars Battlefront II only to find out that my graphics card fails to show Transitions and Lighting (TnL) and can't play the damn game anyway. The only thing I've wasted is bandwidth.

The only games recently that would be worthy of a purchase would be Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Reflex (if you haven't played MW before on any other console) and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and of course, Metroid Prime Trilogy.

8. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

In comparison with piracy sharing, it's a lot better. Considering that borrowing a game from a friend actually gets one sale, and a couple people not paying for it, versus piracy, in which someone is sharing a bought copy of the game among almost millions of users.

9. N1Goon

N1Goon Member

Although it may be wrong to pirate, the harm caused by it is minimal... the developers and game companies, are still making massive profits from their games and as far as I know these haven't begun to decline due to piracy? But yeah, if that's the case, then wouldn't your enjoyment of a game outweigh the tiny losses which these companies MAY be making.. or might NOT be making seeing as piracy probably helps to promote games, bringing them to new audiences, increasing their popularity and hence, the companies' sales and profit, therefore balancing out the initial losses the game developers and co. are complaining about... if this was the case then there would not be anything morally wrong with piracy in these instances...

Anyway, I know I haven't proved my point... (haven't backed up my little theory with sales figures or anything), but if anyone wants to back up what I said (or prove that I'm wrong), then by all means go ahead and find some numbers so that we can see what the actual situation is... :)

10. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I like to think that DRM and the release of PSP games indicate what piracy has done to both PC game and PSP game markets.

As I said it's a moral wrong.

Regardless if you couldn't run it on your PC or you didn't like it, it's a loss sale.

11. getbuck21

getbuck21 Well-Known Member

The things I pirate aren't a lost sale for the game companies, as i mostly just download games that i wouldn't pay for anyway, or games that my parents wouldn't let me play (some T and most M-rated games)

12. insanecrazy07

There are a few things that I pirate that I would buy, but if pirating were all of a sudden gone, they haven't lost anything because I wouldn't have bought it anyway.

I wouldn't rush out to buy a ton of stuff all because pirating is gone. I simply don't have that much money and I'd only buy the few things that I NEED, not want.

So really, they haven't lost a sale they never gained in the first place.

13. N1Goon

N1Goon Member

Do game developers even earn a commission proportional to the profits their games have won, or do the big companies suck it all up? I have a feeling its the latter, though I'm not sure, but if that's the case then I don't see why any of us should be fazed because we ain't helping line these guys' pockets... Piracy (and anything else) is only wrong depending on its consequences... not as of itself...

However, I doubt that when most of us pirate game we actually think that^ through (at least I didn't use to), we just think we're getting a free game... lol

14. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Some do, some don't. Developers normally don't attain a high salary but the bonuses (commission) supposedly make up for it.

Itagaki from Team Ninja was supposed to get a bonus for making DoA4, but Tecmo refused to give him his bonus, they fired him, without paying.

Two heads from Infinity Ward got laid off, they claim they didn't get their commission for MW2 (that would've been a lot of money).

15. Lysergic420

Lysergic420 Active Member

I will admit that I am a bit of a pirate, but only with games that I would not otherwise buy.
    I have hundreds of legally bought games over all my consoles so I do support the people who make them.

But you cant buy every single game not only because of the cost, it also comes down to the availability of the game.
    For instance I went to quite a few shops looking for Mario Kart ds and nobody had it, same thing the week after.
    So I downloaded it. I also download obsolete games as the game companys wont make money of me buying a game on eBay anyway.

For the most nobody is losing out because of my piracy, I wouldn't of bought most of the games anyway.
    Also if I see a game for sale that I already have a pirated copy of I will buy it if its a good game.

Oh and on the original topic,
    I don't agree with the vendors of flash cartridges being penalized, there's a good analogy on the source website;

16. mrkurtis

mrkurtis Member

Re: Nintendo\'s on a roll.

ps3 games in new zealand (where i live) are up to $129.99 and new DS games are $90 each. think ill really pay near 100 bux for a 1 minute download? 40mb winrared download?
    Post Merge: [time]1269961737[/time]
    i paid $101 dollars for my m3i zero flashcart with 4gb micro sd

17. insanecrazy07

Re: Nintendo\'s on a roll.

Is that in AU dollars?
    Here in the states, a DS game can range from $20-50. $40 something for HG/SS if you want to set that as a standard.

18. DaeVon

DaeVon Member

haha man they dont give up, true ive tried to justify it myself, anyway i can to make myself feel better about it, its immoral and unethical guys. back to an earlier post if you really wanted it after playing a demo, or a downloaded demo, which is by all means legal, then you would save your moneys. or play the damn demo until the game is cheaper or wait like i used to. now i pirate most games, assuming they suck, either way im a terrible person and should be hung by the neck until dead lulz. it doesnt make it any better that i know how wrong it is yet i still do it... damn where am i going with this, i think im done pirating, its unsafe, and i wouldnt like it if douchebags like me stole my imagination i just poured for months into a video game. we're all "sonic racing doesnt work!!!" "sonic classic collection dont wrk!!!" remember when we used to replay games, and have a shred of patience? here i go again ranting... ive been rom hungry and most of my roms havent been played, i feel like a damn cyber-kleptomaniac, and im only being a selfish lil bastard, and so are all of you. although i would like to thank romulation for mariokart, retailers wanted $40 for the mucker-futher 2 years after its release. but dnt tell nobuddy ;)

19. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

I pirate so what?I'm actually proud of it.I don't have to spend jack on Games anymore.I have 40+ games on my Acekard 2i along with the EZ Flash 3 in 1 I have more than 150 roms in my laptop ranging from Snes,to Sega,Sega Saturn,N64,Dreamcast and PSX.Do I care the companies lose money?Not really.I'm getting what I want I shouldn't care.Besides the companies make ALOT more money than they should anyway so I definitely so no reason for me to care.

20. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Yay! For almost owning up to it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.