1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Nintendo's on a roll.

Discussion in 'General News' started by Natewlie, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Nintendo goes to court again this time over piracy.

teeheeteehee

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Man, Nintendo's going postal :p

3. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

Even though the vast majority of people buy flash carts for piracy, there are other,legal, reasons (like homebrew applications such as Moonshell); how can Australian courts justify fining these people when the illegality dwells in the actions of the their customers', some of whom use them to pirate games?
    I may be wrong in saying this; but isn't the reason that companies such as Acekard don't distribute their flashcarts through vendors with the firmware preinstalled because the firmware blatantly breaks the law by circumventing piracy-protection; and they don't want to implicate the vendor?

Who are Nintendo to dictate what users do with a device that they have payed for?
    How are Nintendo suffering if someone who otherwise couldn't afford a game at retail price downloads it for free? If they couldn't afford it and wouldn't have bought it anyhow, or they would have bought it second hand; Nintendo and the games' developers/publisher would not have benefited anyway.
    Maybe Nintendo should spend more time developing Zelda games that aren't terrible and less time victimizing people who aren't even main-players in a system that allows people who could not otherwise, enjoy the stimulating hobby of computer-gaming?

I notice that they haven't launched lawsuits against all the PC manufacturers who make machines that emulators run on. Maybe we all have that to look forward to.

4. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Mark, dude, as much as I pirate, there's so much wrong with your entire post that I won't even bother.

I'll bother later though, trust me.

5. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

if you pirate it, you play it without buying it, nintendo loses the money they would of originally gotten if you had bought it

6. Paddette

Paddette Well-Known Member

Piracy is hocus pocus. It's the same as music, they announce it loses them money, but the film and music industry cash in more and more money each yeah, the same goes for game companies. Not that I care. Sue who they want, could give less of a shit.

7. sinharvest24

sinharvest24 Guest

how awesome!!!

8. ultra

ultra Guest

is nintendo doing all this work because of investors or for third party?

we all know that third party developers can't make games for the casuals. for third party support to get on the wii, nintendo will need to push hard to prevent piracy. on the 360, there is a huge piracy rate but that is limited due to the online restrictions. the ps3 has no piracy because of what sony have done with the ps3. if we look at the sales of certain games, they are still selling regardless of piracy. if you consider new mario wii, it's still selling though there are a plethora of youtube video and the likes available.

9. m3xicanjo3

m3xicanjo3 Well-Known Member

ha thats really messed up so im taking it i should STOP...........LOL ha mayb sumday when they are knocking on my door i will but i think they are pulling a napster momment and we all know how that all worked out.LOL shit i have purchased every fucking nintendo console and have a picture to prove it from nintendo all the way up to the dsi every single one! i diserve a fucking BREAK! spent so much on these consoles i disereve a freeB and they need to chill and do what that other guy said make sum non shitty games they should b trying to remake the killerinstinct series for the ds and nintendo stop worring about piracy so much

10. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Piracy is stealing, that's the bottom line, it doesn't matter if it's from a large corporation with large sums of money, it's still theft. I think it's even worse for games, music and software. Considering that if you modded your console or have a flashcart, you have more than one 40$ game or a 50$ piece of software. I pirate and I know I'm stealing, I care sort of, but not enough to still download it. That being said, I still buy my Wii games (with the exception of a few), and I have no other modded console besides my PSP (which I never play to begin with). I pirate the shit out of PC games though, although I usually end up buying the console version if possible (picky about max settings).

Where the fuck are you getting this from? Out of all the things to pull out your ass, you pull out something that makes no sense given the context.

Judging by the way you type, you deserve nothing. Also if you want Killer Instinct, use your 360, RARE Ltd owns Killer Instinct.

11. markswan

But if that person wouldn't have bought that game in the first place because they couldn't afford to, then Nintendo wouldn't have profited. Nintendo also does not profit from second hand game sales (neither does the publisher/developer for that matter); this means that people who buy discounted second hand games aren't supporting anyone other than the game shop that they buy them from.
    I'm EDIT: not justifying pirating games if you can afford to support its creators by buying it legally, but i do think that it's ok to enjoy games that you otherwise wouldn't because of their prices. The last game that i bought legally was TLoZ:Spirit Tracks for Nintendo DS. I bought it despite the fact that i had downloaded the ROM (and was disappointed by the game) because i have fond memories of previous Zelda games and needed waylay some of the guilt of pirating Nintendo games.
    There is nothing wrong with supporting a developer, but the nobody benefits if the developer doesn't get paid and you don't get any enjoyment. I'm so tired as i'm writing this; i'm not sure if i'm making sense, but whatever.

"that other guy" is not affiliated with this man.

12. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

If they wanted the game, they could of still bought it if they really wanted it. You know, even if you get 5 dollars a week, you could save for a month and buy the game. I'm sure people try before they buy (I do) but that still doesn't justify the guy whom you're downloading from is spreading to people who don't try before you buy, and just pirate and play. Either way, Nintendo's losing out.

Now you don't really have to try out a game, now there's gaming media, there's trailers, gameplay videos, video reviews, and reviews (preferably without arbitrary numbers).

You can justify piracy anyway you want, you're still stealing. Everyone should know this before they download, you can chose to ignore it or take note of it. I'm not trying to tell pirates to fuck off or anything, I'm one. Although I give the high five to any dev or publisher who gets their grubby dirty hands on them or comes up with a clever way to push away piracy.

EA is doing something good with the code thing they've been doing with Dragon Age, Mass Effect 2 and soon Battlefield BC2. That's a good way to combat piracy on the consoles and a good way to shoo away used games sales.

13. markswan

Fair enough.
    I still stand by my point that people who buy a game second hand are only supporting the place that they buy it from though. But you are right in saying that piracy is always stealing; but it if ever justifiable; it's justifiable when done due to lack of funds. Games are expensive, and brilliant games which can be completed easily aren't worth their initial £30.00 pricetag.

Everything EA does in inherently evile. With an intentional extra "e".

14. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

That's okay that you stand by your point. It's never justifiable, it's still 'stealing', it's a moral wrong. I don't have money to buy a TV, so I guess it's okay to take it.

Than you could easily wait until the price goes down, if it's something you don't think is worth 30 Pounds, than you can easily live without it.

Naw, they've gotten a lot better, they haven't bought a dev and closed it right away like they've done before (Bullfrog). Along with their games lately have been good, Mass Effect 2 was the best game I've played for a while.

15. zerobahamut

zerobahamut Well-Known Member

I hope they make a lot more remakes with that money.
    :)

16. markswan

You're right, it just seems like a more victimless crime than physically stealing something though... Judging by the effect that piracy has on the music industry (not a very big one) and the data that shows that other factors are prevelant in the failure of companies whose assets are pirated; if the games industry were to be believed, you would think that the reason so many studios are failing and people are losing their jobs is due to piracy.

Also, thanks for saying "pounds", it annoys me when people type dollars when someone has stated a different currency. : )

17. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

The reason why it seems so victimless is because we're so disconnected from it, it's as if you got someone else to steal a TV for you in Japan and have it sent to you in Canada.

It's not THE reason but it's a part of it, even if it is small, it's part of it. Piracy, used games sales, it wasn't up to snuff, didn't sell, etc. There's never a reason why game devs go under, there's so many reasons. It's like why The Beatles broke. Yoko Ono wasn't the reason why The Beatles broke up, it was a reason though. Bitch.

I know that 30 Pounds isn't equivalent to 30 dollars Canadian or American dollars, so yeah.

18. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

LOL-all the rom shops I visit keep telling me they are doing this legally still...

Especially that tiny phone shop that just has an r4i gold for sale-imagine if nintendo brought them down just for having that ::)

19. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

I wonder whats next for Nintendo? sueing Wii mode chip maker?

20. melfice666

melfice666 Well-Known Member

I pirat because I cant affort games by my studies support the games cost like 30-50 euros here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.