1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Nintendo will auto-update 3ds to prevent piracty

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by zeldafan12, Oct 4, 2010.

1. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

I dun't think that that's how it works.

2. j c 2000

j c 2000 Well-Known Member

yea that would mean it is legal to pirate if you have wifi off.

3. MohsinMVP

MohsinMVP Well-Known Member

well then they better let us turn it off when we sleep or such. And they must have a disclaimer saying there is automatic updates. I broke my wii last year because I put a retailed game into my wii which had homebrew and when I clicked on my game it automatically installed updates. I called Nintendo and they said the box mentioned it would update the system if you try to play it.

4. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Doesn't the little box that comes up say something like "New Updates, would you like to download" If so, you clicked yes, your fault for updating with homebrew.

5. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

You're still given the option to update, just like you have the option to play either GoW3 of go to the Store.

I'm saying this because from the story, it's giving me the impression that the update will install itself when it's fully download it. Hence, auto update. Auto installing is the only way that Nintendo can do to actually combat piracy, and it can work, but there's huge trade offs like wasting battery life and if it dies in the middle on an install.

If you're given the option to install, then you can just choose, no, and still play your pirated games.

That being said, I don't think this story has enough information to suggest either my theory that it'll auto-install or that it'll just download it then it gives you the option to. Just thinking in the context of combating piracy, the auto installing updates is the best way to combat it.

6. DNS1623

DNS1623 Well-Known Member

Hackers, Should Invent A Hack That Prevents Updates For The 3DS.

7. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

Alright thnks for filling me in.

I think that maybe they that have in mind :p

8. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

hackers WILL FIND ways to bypass stop that feaure, like all DS anti-privacy features.

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

That's what I don't want to happen. I'll keep my 3DS normal. I've taken too much from Nintendo with the DS, GBA, Wii, etc.

10. MohsinMVP

MohsinMVP Well-Known Member

Yup Ill just keep it normal as well just like the old my old Gameboy color and advance. Karma always seems to get me in the most random times.

11. j c 2000

j c 2000 Well-Known Member

It would be nice if you could not pirate it then i have to buy games.

12. zeldafan12

zeldafan12 Well-Known Member

heh yeah. I really should support the makers of the games more. But I usually buy the games I want anyway and only pirate ones i would not buy in the first place. Im sure most people are like that also.

13. Saabon

Saabon New Member

I don't mind the auto-updating thing as much as the auto-downloading of the updates from the sound of this article.

Living in places like Australia means limited internet and I can't afford my 3DS using my internet without my consent. >>

14. eliotie

eliotie Active Member

What they might do is make so some games require you to auto update or they won't work.
    Another way is putting the latest firmware available at the time with the game and it updates when you open the game (if you have an outdated firmware)

15. rockerzz182

rockerzz182 Well-Known Member

our hackers is awesome they will hack 3ds in no time..coz 3ds ap is made only by human so it will be hacked by a human also..hehehe...unless the ap is made by alien..

16. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

that is how PSP works (game require update before playing)..... and see how well it work...

17. fireemblemfreak

fireemblemfreak Active Member

This reminds me of the time when EVERYONE was saying PS3 games where not to be re-sold and that you needed a License to even own a PS3 game and so forth... then it came out to be the same S**** and no one thought it could be hacked until Jailbreaker.

18. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

I saw some funny shit a couple of weeks ago, there was a fake PSP emulator flowing about for use on a hacked PS3.
    It bricked peoples systems.

19. trimbletown

trimbletown Well-Known Member

That is your fault entirely. You have no one to blame but yourself.

I'm just going to buy the games. Hacking just seems like too much trouble.

20. Apacar2

Apacar2 Active Member

Yea the 3DS has a auto update system for piracy
    Even when the 3DS is off it uses the internet to update its self