1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Nintendo hit with $30M judgment in patent case on 3DS screen

Discussion in 'General News' started by Hypr, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Hypr

Hypr Well-Known Member

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/13/nintendo-hit-with-30m-judgment-in-patent-case-on-3ds-screen/

2. Niflheim

Niflheim Horrible evil rat

I'm really getting sick of these stupid shitty patents.
    It's not like Nintendo's stealing fucking blueprints, why shouldn't they be able to use a certain type of technology because somebody did it first?

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

they can, they just have to ask permission and pay a license fee.

In this case I agree with the judgement because the patent is owned by an individual who deserves credit for his invention. When its companies suing each other I tend not to agree because thats when patent warfare stunts progress.

4. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

I agree here.

5. Rayder

Rayder Well-Known Member

Why didn't the guy sue Sharp? They are the ones who supplied Nintendo with the screens, Ninty didn't make them.

6. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

This is gonna be a toughie, y'see currently penal law on most countries operates under the theory of objective imputation, it means that on the chain of crimes there is only a few or one you can sue, nintendo was comercializing with the invention, which falls as the first target of the theory.

7. Loonylion

sharp produced them to nintendo supplied specifications. Nintendo are the ones violating the patent.

8. zking0games

zking0games Member

well what about us stealing games for platforms off the internet, does that make us any different Loonylion?

9. Loonylion

patents != copyright

10. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

It's not like we stole them.
    We didn't make the dumps or anything like that.

The ROMs simply come into our possession, and we host them.
    Simple as that.

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

And to cover all the legal fines game companies like Nintendo & EA pass on the burden to their consumers by over pricing their stuff....

12. liuyelian

liuyelian New Member

They are the ones who supplied Nintendo with the screens, Ninty didn't make them.