1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Nintendo DS is childish?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Jonez001, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

The truth.
    /thread

2. SoulSin

SoulSin Well-Known Member

/heh

Every console is for everyone.
    Do you really believe that Sony or Microsoft are interested on losing the income that comes from the people interested on "child games" (sarcasm=on) just because they wanna look "mature"?

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

children are nintendo's main audience, so yes, most of the games will be aimed at that demographic.

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

And yet when you watch those Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver Videos on Youtube, you'll see that those were all grown ups giggling & laughing as they were demo testing the game ROFL!

EDIT:

I actually tried searching for that Japanese advert on Youtube but I can't seem to find it anymore.

5. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Nah, I like it. And everyone is in it's hart a kid :p

6. King Cookie

King Cookie Well-Known Member

I think the DS is a bit more childish then other consoles, but do I think that's a bad thing? No. Games don't have to be M to be fun.

7. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

People are confusing themselves. Look. Psp is cool and sleek. DS, DSi is not childish but colourful and cute... I think that's where people think DS is childish...

8. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

Well a majority of the DS's games are intended for kids, while there are a few M games on the DS, there isn't a whole lot, I can only think of a handful.
    But yeah, a game doesn't need to be M to be fun.

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Not exactly what they meant.

They say it's childish because the games are mostly aimed at kids. As for your idea of cuteness or "kawaii".... so those Japanese "touching" games are cutesy, but do you recommend them for kids? For example, would you let a four year old play "Love Plus"?

So you fail at your logic.

10. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Nintendo DS ain't childish.

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Indeed if you used the "correct" dictionary definition of childish:

childish

Main Entry: child·ish
    Pronunciation: \ˈchī(-ə)l-dish\
    Function: adjective
    Date: before 12th century

1 : of, relating to, or befitting a child or childhood
    2 a : marked by or suggestive of immaturity and lack of poise <a childish spiteful remark> b : lacking complexity : simple <it's a childish device, but it works> c : deteriorated with age especially in mind : senile

— child·ish·ly adverb

— child·ish·ness noun

So yes, the people who commented on Jonez001's forum are indeed childish, but the Nintendo DS is not, it is primary aimed at children as loony mentioned though.

12. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

It's meant for all ages.

13. seventhsage

seventhsage Well-Known Member

I know this topic is about the DS in general, but This bears repeating.

Faivon said that the games are targeted towards children, and to some extent I agree. I'll use Pokemon as an Example

Saying Pokemon is geared towards kids is somewhat of a shortsighted goal. Yes, the cute fuzzy animals are geared that way, but when you get down to the mechanics (EV training, Team building, Role Designation) the game is designed in that respect for an older crowd. I certainly enjoyed Pokemon when I was younger because I would build a team based on the ones I liked best and level them up to about 60, then go crush the Elite 4. Did I take strategy or EV training into account, No. But once I learned the ins and outs of it, it became something I began to enjoy even more. now, instead of thinking "That pokemon looks cool" (I still do to some extent) I think something along the lines of "does he make a good physical/special sweeper" (Lucario for the win). In that regard, I think a lot of the games grow with you.

14. Usoppu

Usoppu Well-Known Member

True enough.
    That's why in some ways i vastly prefer some (D/P not so much) of the newer generation games more than the older ones. People that repeatedly bang on about how they're the same as the originals are fckin blind or something...

I'm most interested by the fact Black/White is improving the strategy (read the details about the 3 on 3), no goddamn kid will appreciate these changes. Indeed, all they focus on is "MAN, THE POKEMON LOOK SUCK NOW" etc. hardly so idiots! select few suck just as they did in the older games.

off topic: btw your av is Rath from FE7 isn't it?