1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Nintendo Announces new DSi

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Seph, Oct 2, 2008.

1. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes jin, it's basically the same matter though. That's for the stupid as GBA that uses AA batteries. It has no charger obviously. And no goddamn light. The hardware is different from the DS (to allow the camera etc. to be used, larger screens to be outputted and wrapping for regular DS games etc.) so the hardware won't be the same, but very similar. Trust me on this. I'm sure they won't make too many DSi only games, it's just stupid. Oh blacksun23, the processor power will stay the same with the DSi (according to QJ), so no better "graphics" card for the DS. Homebrew development for this won't be too hard, just to add some new functions for the screens and to utilize the camera options and advanced firmware features but that's all. Should still stay the same. But Nintendo haven't really released the full interal specs that would be different to DS/Lite. Here's a outlook on the specs, if you can understand them. http://ds.qj.net/Nintendo-DSi-hardware-specs-software-details-bigger-screen-shorter-batt-life-more/pg/49/aid/124571

2. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

it seem that the only fuction of DSi is to combat PSP

seriously DSlite is good enough as a portable gaming console.

edit: this make me wonder if Sony will be stupid enough to remake thier PSP to combat DSi.....

3. koyuchan

koyuchan Well-Known Member

The battery life time is shorter. Yesterday i planned to buy it someday but today i think i must think once again to buy DSi. I love my DS Lite :D

4. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

3 megapixels is better than most laptop webcams. :eek:

I don't plan on replacing my one and only DS Lite though. But its stylus calibration is screwed up; the point is half a centimeter to the right if I press the stylus near the bottom of the screen. Calibration does not help.

5. shadowknuxem

shadowknuxem Member

I read a story that the DSi wont be able to play GBA games. I don't know if it is true or not, but if it is, then I won't be buying a DSi at all.

6. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

Not relevant as the DSi has 0.3 megapixel cameras.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Which is worse than the one on my phone.

8. anandjones

Don't expect a good camera on the DSi. Born2killx, that happens to my DS too. Calibration doesn't do shit.

9. Impulse411

Impulse411 Member

Dont forget that DSi is also Region Locked! Which for me is a total turn-off...

10. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

"The new and revamped DS unit, which includes a 3 megapixel camera and a web browser, is set to go on sale in Japan on November 1st for 18,900 yen (about $180)."

So the media lied to me. :-X

P.S. My phone's got a 2 MP camera. The LG enV.

11. ultra

ultra Guest

anyone live or ever been to japan? i read that in japan, you do more with the ds then just play games. what specifically i don't know.

i've read an article on the net that says the dsi isn't in competition with iphone or psp.

the dsi isn't meant to replace the ds lite. it's to introduce gaming to non gamers by making the device have properties that attract non gamers. one thing that people are drawn to are cameras and music. if a device offers both, then it is more likely that someone would buy it. if someone is more likely to buy and in addition to the two properties stated [camera and music player] have the ability to play games, you have just introduced a gaming machine to a non gamer. so they will definitely buy software to accomodate not only the camera use and music use, but the gaming device use. this is a very well thought out strategy by nintendo.

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Nokia tried that with the N-Gage and it failed miserably.

13. jill545454

jill545454 New Member

It doesn't matter if the DSi has a 3M or 10M or 100M camera.... it will still look like crap on the low resolution screens.

The whole point of the DSi is profit $$$$$.
    Nintendo's not stupid, they know what there doing. Slap a Nintendo logo on a pile of POOP, and people will still buy the dam thing.

Wait a couple of months and give the option for a different colored POOP, and people will still buy it. ( Yeah a red colored POOP )
    Don't forget about all them special cover cases too. Lets put a Final Fantasy case on the POOP yeah......

The fact is any new game coming out, will and have to be able to be playable on any DS system Phat,Lite,DSi..
    Unless ofcourse those special DSi only games-but whats going to be so special about them. More Pony racing games with camera features.

14. ultra

ultra Guest

remember that there will be a download service like the wii. with that notion in mind, you may get more then just gaming downloads. the dsi may end up being like a pocket assistant, which is like a tool, and people will use it along with the gaming aspect of the system. that is why i asked how portables are in japan. i've read you can order food from using your ds, it's similar to like how franchise pizza stores like dominoes or pizza hut have one of those online orderings. instead of using a computer, you use your dsi.

wii has the news channel, maybe dsi will have the same thing as well as the weather report. streaming media maybe [video and maybe audio radio]?

15. anandjones

Remember the region lock is for DSi games only.

16. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

The whole point of any product is profit...

17. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

yup, but they are trying tweaking a little to make more profit :p sux they made an SD slot for the GBA slot

18. icefire34

icefire34 Well-Known Member

well i don't really care if the GBA slot is gone.

if i want to use the GBA slot, ill use my GBA. If i want to use the GBA slot accesorries like the guitar grip ill use my DS lite.

ill still get the DSi though. I see this hardware has potential especially for the online store and (maybe) the camera. and my brother wants my DS lite anyways so ill just buy the DSi and give my old one to my brother.

19. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

thats too many systems and wasted cash for me... I'm broke

20. Renji217

Renji217 Well-Known Member

me too.... another good reason not to buy a new dsi. Also Im guessing that not all the new games are gona be for the dsi only, isnt it??