1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Nintendo 3DS under full control of hackers

Discussion in 'Emulation News' started by Duncan Idaho, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/21795-hackers-unlock-full-control-of-the-nintendo-3ds-with-no-hardware-modification/ via neoseeker, it seems via a game hackers found an exploit to gain acess to the kernel mode of the 3DS

2. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Well this is good news.

3. Duncan Idaho

indeed they are, i hope it means flashcards will be avaible eventually, i want to play some 3DS stuff but not enough to warrant the purchase of the system

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

[​IMG]

"Pirates rule and the ESA drools!"

5. kewong

kewong Well-Known Member

Woah,just read the last few paragraph

"How many third parties are already evaluating walking away from 3DS development? It's difficult to say whether, overall, this news is positive or negative."

Imagine all the developers drop out.....no developers=no games=mario kart 7 forever,scary O.O

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Just because the system has been hacked it doesn't mean developers are going to walk away :p

For all we know Nintendo's already patching things up as we speak.

And FYI, there have been a lot of indie game developers out there who have came out recently with very unique and fun games that these big companies never even think of making.

7. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

does this mean a 3DS emulator will be launched soon or Desmume/NO$ people can develop a 3DS emulator ??

8. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I'd say it's still too premature to expect one anytime soon. But it's a good potential start of something.

9. Duncan Idaho

a bit angry and yet lmfao if you follow the article on of the 3DS forums mod is saying that he expects nintendo to start bricking consoles for this and that piracy is a bad egg just like homebrew is.

10. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

i dont think they can brick the consoles legally but it is still a possibility. i also believe neimod said he didnt intend on releasing this at all or at least until there is a way of not letting this become a way of piracy

11. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Well, in the documentation, they had this crap about being able to legally render the device useless.
    I doubt they're allowed to, but if it's in the documentation... well... it'll be an interesting story if it occurs.

It would be near impossible to make sure this doesn't lead to piracy.
    Piracy started with homebrew and stuff. Unless they don't releae it or put some amazing work into the code, we'll most likely see piracy follow.

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Piracy didn't start with Homebrew :p

Piracy was around way before ASM tools for making homebrew were around, heck you could even say if it were not for Piracy people would've never even started ROM Hacking (were it all began) and ultimately develop these tools that are not readily available.

AND, if it were not for Piracy we would never have backups of older games from older systems available as they would have been long lost when the cartridges and/or Discs they were printed onto have stopped working. So in a sordid way, we really owe much to Piracy for having preserved the classics.

13. Duncan Idaho

I find this highly ironic, what allowed us to preserve the classics is now considered filthy, idk when it changed but in old times copying some one else work and distributing it was considered the highest praise ever then it suddendly became piracy

14. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

its illegal regardless of whether its in the documentation or not. In fact, if it's in the documentation that could be used as evidence to prosecute them. EULAs cannot override criminal law, and intentionally rending useless an electronic device that someone bought is criminal damage. The fact it's in the documentation could be presented as evidence of intent to commit criminal damage.

15. Duncan Idaho

^ Loonylion pretty much nailed it, not only in this case the contract (which some lawyers could aruge that is law between the parts and henceforth the users are accepting the terms of the bricking and renting a device not being sold a device) is null due to it possesing a vice and due to it being againts the law.

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Here's a perfect example of my previous post....

In the past two years EA has shutdown support sites for some of their games that have a massive fanbase, namely SIMCity 4 and The SIMs 2 (the SIMs 2 Store). And with the closure of these services are the loss of important update patches (in the case of SC4) and EA created Custom content (for The SIMs 2 Store).

With SC4 a few people who are part of the huge SC4 community had the foresight to backup these update patches (and a few custom content) and once the site was closed they asked permission from EA to host these files on the community site. And it is kind of ironic how even with the fancy schmancy hype EA is giving SIMCity 2013 that many SC4 fans are not going to buy the upcoming game simply because of EA dicking around and enforcing "always online" as a pre-requisite to play the game.

As for The SIMs 2.... sadly no one even dared to salvage whatever there was on the online store so those items are lost forever. That or I just can't find torrents for it. And yes, I tried searching on sites like modthesims for these lost items but even they don't have copies of them as they blatantly don't support pirating store content. Funny thing is, now their members (as well as members of the official EA SIMs community) are now whining because EA is killing off the "The SIMs 2" community so as to force them to "upgrade" to The SIMs 3.

To be honest these big game companies should just allow game software that are decades old to be freely distributed & preserved by their fans as abandonware instead of holding onto their copyrights and letting these classics to disappear. Take for example Rockstar games, they're now offering GTA and GTA II as free downloads on their site.

17. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Oohh.
    When did that happen? And for PC I presume?

18. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Active Member

Getting off topic but if you're after old pc classics for freeeeeee click here

19. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Yeah, getting a little bit off track :D

Yes it's for the PC and I just heard about it after seeing this video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-U--d-XC1E

LOL this guys is a helluva lot of fun to watch.

20. TheFreakinDuck

TheFreakinDuck Well-Known Member

The problem is Nintendo might find some way to avoid criminal damage charges, even if a large group was involved. Unfortunately for us, coroprations always win. Plus didn't there used to be a law on the books (or maybe still is) where you can download ROMs of games as backup copies to play in case your actual games get damaged...or worse found to be defective on purchase?