1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Newfound Hate for MMORPGs

Discussion in 'Rants' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Nov 24, 2008.

1. kirkyeehee

kirkyeehee Member

The way MMO's work for me are, When I start, I'm like "MEH it's ok I guess" then a few days later I uninstall it because I'm completely fed up and bored with it. I would love to see some company make an mmo that would play more like a standard rpg or an action rpg even. I find when you play any mmo it's point click and wait for the enemy to die. basically anyway.

2. chaoslordsokar

chaoslordsokar Well-Known Member

like seriously, you just defeated the whole point of mmo games. consider that mmos are actual online communitys, so yes you are gonna find dumbasses out there, but giving up just because of that is daft. complaining about grinding, omg how many mmos have you guys played ? name one that doesnt require grinding. i currently play 4 mmos, fiesta online 4 chars on apoline server. talisman online 2 chars on sw server, perfect world international 2 chars on sanctuary server, part time player of saga online. pm me for my char names if youd like to join me. seriously the problem seems to be that you guys are not mmo material and should avoid playing them. that may sound harsh, but thats for pissing off millions of mmo players with dumb hate speech, lol in my opinion anyway

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

When it comes to "serious" gaming MMORPG Players are extremely different than consolr RPG players for several reasons:

1. Leveling up their character/s is their life - chaoslordsokar, yes I do feel I'm not MMORPG material in this account, I've had the opportunity of meeting several die hard MMORPG players in game & one thing I noticed was they were all obsessed with leveling up their character. I met these guys when I was like level 20 or so & we added each other to our in game messenger lists. Whenever we logged on we'd check up on each other. Now my character is still at level38 & they're at 60-70 & they keep pestering me to hurry it up, so I finally removed them from my list. I really couldn't stand people rushing me to level up as I want to enjoy the game for what it is, a game, a diversion. They on the other hand play like it is their job, like its something they just have to do & have no control of.

2. Because most MMORPGs don't follow a plot or don't have an ending or so, all you could really care about are the quests or the usual server-admin planned events. But again, as these "professional" MMORPG players are only concerned about leveling up, they don't give a squat to quests or events, & worse, they mock people who take on these quests &/or events seriously.

3. Abusive players - Player Killers, God I hate these, they have nothing better to do so they just kill players who are minding their own business for fun. So yeah your character's strong, it might even be able to kill a mob of fifty or so monsters in one blow, so why the hell do you use your skills on obvious noobs? Seriously these guys should just stop playing altogether if they've become so bored of the game & can't think of anything better to do. And these guys aren't even as awesome as the guy on the "Make love not Warcraft" episode on South Park, they don't even challenge maxed out players' characters or even the game moderators in combat, they just pick on the very weak innocent ones.

4. Cash Shop items are abused - OK so I get it that you buy premium items so you can make your gaming experience more fun. But why is it that these guys buy them only to sell at an astronomical price using the game's in-game currency? I got pissed at people asking me if I'll trade my "School event cloak" for a certain amount of money, if you want one, buy one at the cash shop, d'oh!?

5. Trading/selling items for an unfair high amount - Just like with what I said above, "serious" players sell stuff in-game at excruciating high prices, even regular items you can pick up from most monsters. I know I may sound like a weak douche but I never follow these "veterans'" example, whenever I set up a shop I sell stuff at rock bottom prices, that is at prices everyone can afford.

6. Some people sell their beloved characters to other people using real cash - this is the worst thing I learnt of in MMORPGs, people who spent hours, days even months playing a character to max it out only to sell it to people for money. Well atleast it's better than going on a PK frenzy, but still those who buy these ultra powerful characters tend to be the abusive types.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I'm considered a power leveller, that is I try to concentrate on levelling rather than PvP, thats because I enjoy the challenges from zones higher level than I am (I got my tauren shaman into badlands at level 16-20). I used to enjoy instances but don't anymore because its impossible to get groups. (although me and my US friend 2 manned wailing caverns twice, its a level 20 5 man instance, first time we two manned it I was about level 18-19 and he was just over level 20, maybe level 25

WoW has a plot, and 'endgame' content although the game can never be completed as such.

I've noticed that too, I responded to a localdefense alert of an attack on bloodhoof village in mulgore (a level 10-ish village) and found two level 35s terrorising the lowbies and killing the quest givers. They ran like hell when I arrived as I was a level 60. Between them they could probably have killed me, (although druids are supposedly overpowered and very hard to kill, they were mages so my armour was considerably better than anything they would ever get). I didn't bother chasing them, although I could have caught them in seconds as I was mounted. I just hung around bloodhoof for a bit in case they came back but they didn't. I'm not a PvP fan but having been a victim of ganking myself (repeatedly ganked and camped by a level 50 at level 16 in crossroads) I figured I'd help out.

these three things are banned by the WoW ToS.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

That's why I'm pretty much whining now on internet Cafes near my area, I keep telling them how awesome WoW is & it should definitely come to the Philippines. But because of the fact that it's a paid game service it will never happen. Man if only I could play WoW just once I'd be freaking happy.

6. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

yea that junk will be in just about every single game that makes you interact with other humans, there will always be douchebags that won't shut their faces while probably sucking at the game themselves (Battle.net anyone? yeah. especially in DotA and Battletanks. they get like 20 deaths, and flame the ones that die 10 times ::))

sure some are decent and willing to help others, but honestly how many of them can you find? not a whole lot of them...

7. Loonylion

a good majority of the guys on my WoW server are like that

8. rush n kaos

as in they're helpful, or idiots? i'm not so good at deciphering English
    by the way, i wasn't referring to WoW, mainly cause i've only seen my cousin play it once. and i didn't recognize what it was back then

9. Loonylion

as in they're decent, at least on my faction they are.

10. rush n kaos

that's rather good to hear. many of the MMOs i used to play had a lot of idiots (high levels being complete buttholes, beggers that won't go away no matter how much you give them, gold/account sellers, etc...)

11. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Only decent one I liked Was Mu, however there were a few people who kept blocking the entrances out of town and killing me every time I went through, who could kill me in one hit. It was probably because I attacked them first :p

12. Datanotfound

Datanotfound Well-Known Member

Don't let FlyFF ruin it for you. If you seriously want to play a good mmorpg, you have to pay per month. Its annoying and not everyone has the money to play it, but the honest truth is that the best require subscriptions. Some of my best memories in gaming come from BGing ( playing the pvp battlegrounds) in World of Warcraft and Dark Ages of Camelot(before it died).

But then again, me and my friends are extremely competitive and usually play MMOs solely for pvp =p

13. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Meh. Competitive DotA is "MMO" enough for me anyways. Otherwise, the best I ever played was Dofus Online Beta.
    MMORPGs shouldn't be taken TOO seriously, though. I am the power-level type as is loony but I do it just for the challenge. MMORPGs provide one thing for me, and that's community. For me, it's a social experience as well as a gaming experience. Nothing like being in a good guild and PvPing.

14. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

ehe..So you've played flyff, im playing that game too. I agree with you wholy on ALL parts that you've said. A lot people just go for insane levels in a matter of weeks. And its very difficult to find people that is just there for the heck of it. Hell even the guild im on keeps ranting about Guild Duels[informal guild war where people from opposing guilds pointlessly kill other players in town]. It sucks horribly especially when you add the common gesture of filipinos whose trying to be cute with their damn taglish. But hey, if you can't find one then MAKE one. As of now im trying to encourage my guild mates into more "interaction" than pointless clicking. Although some of them are still an annoying bunch that doesn't think a lot....... ??? ??? ??? okay i can't add anything good so lets end it at that.

15. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Meh, I rarely go online these days seeing as I'm busy downloading some videos from that Ghostbusters site Cal posted on the Anime, Manga & Cartoons Section :D

Plus I'm saving up so I can buy, install & Play WoW on my Rig.

16. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

Play WoW eh?...hmmm *sigh* searched it on yahoo $15 a month + You need to buy the installer?...ugh thats like my meals for one week. Why am i such a cheapskate. ;D

17. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Yes the game is extremely expensive to play with the installer discs costing alot plus the monthly subscription fees, but as loony states in alot of his posts on this thread it's well worth it. There aren't that many douchebags playing Wow & those that do abuse PKing newbies get pwn by veteran players.

18. Loonylion

there aren't many douchebags on my server in the faction I play in. I can't speak for any of the other realms since I only play on one.

19. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

The worst parts of MMORPG's?
    It's got to be cash shops because some items in them are absolutely essential to get past a certain point
    For example: Digimon RPG Online (DRO) To have more than one digimon the chances of catching are 0.05 percent but if you BUY a capture net from the Cash Shop it's 100 percent. To battle with your Digimon fully evolved without waiting to digivolve multiple times you need to BUY a deva aura from the Cash Shop and it only lasts a month!
    So to get far in the game you at least need to buy Deva Auras for 1kk from chinese players/cash shop(1,000 dro cash) because Deva Auras are essential to fighting tougher digimon to level
    And if you want a better chance or the digimon you actually want you need to get a net for 8kk from chinese player/cash shop(2,500 DRO cash)

Another thing is abusive/stalker players
    Sometimes you get idiots online or stalkers who challenge you all the time/scam you/say unpleasant things/annoy you or the worse claim to be your in-game partner!

People who take advantage
    There can be nice players and there can be people who trick newer players
    This new player tried trading me a capture net for 10 gold drills and I declined because he didn't know how good a net was and I explained too him but he was stalked for the rest of the day

20. Classic-wolf

Classic-wolf Well-Known Member

I just choose to stay away from MMORPGs. The closest I've ever been to one is RuneScape, and I just couldn't get into it. There is no real depth to the gameplay. I might as well pop in FF1(My favourite), and just keep playing that, making my bad-a@@ blackbelt go Bruce Lee all over some Goblins and Wolves and Evil Lords! OH MY!

Anyway, I basically found no real reason to play RuneScape, it wasn't fun. It was Monotonous, Boring, and just plain time consuming. I did have a little fun at first, which was quickly ruined by someone just up and making my armor disappear. I log on, no armor, and all I have left is 330g out of 9,000 odd gold. My Mithril Sword is gone, The one good helmet I had, gone. and my Iron and Bronze leg armors, nonexistent anymore for me.
    That was 5 years ago, give or take a couple months. I just stopped playing online RPGs. Stuck to Emu, and Sprite comics, as well as a couple visits to Street Fighter Online(then: X-men vs. Street Fighter Online), and that was all I needed in terms of actual entertainment from the internet. Sorry if I got off topic, after I read Cahos' post, I remembered how I felt that day.
    Also, I know Pwn means Own, but why make "O" a "P"? Was it a purposeful misspelling or just a fad or what? Someone misspelled owned and it just caught on? What happen? Someone set up us the bomb! What!! We get signal... Main Screen turn on. How are you gentleman? All your base are belong to us!