1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Newfound Hate for MMORPGs

Discussion in 'Rants' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I've said on several posts lately that I got pretty much hooked on my first ever MMORPG, yes folks, Flyff was my first ever forray into the world of MMORPGs & it's now THE only one & THE last one ever :p

For sometime now I could not understand why many got hooked to these kinds of games, so one day I said to myself, "what the heck, might as well try it". I looked around at several MMORPGs that are currently being hosted here in the country, & was pretty much attracted to Flyff & it's promise of aimlessly flying in the skies. I install the game, made an account & played. For the past 10 days I was pretty much enjoying several aspects of the game, which are one, the Cutesy style by which the characters were made, the ability to just fly aimlessly & the quests. The quests, I especially loved the quests because that's the only thing giving depth to the game's otherwise directionless structure.

Being a console style RPG player for almost a third of my life, I naturally wanted substance in any game I played, so in instinct I wanted to play something with a set goal than just running around leveling up & challenging n00bs for their money & belongings. With that, I now enumerate the things in MMORPGs I really don't appreciate much. Parties & Guilds, it's fun to be in a party or guild, makes fighting enemies easier, but in order to belong, you must be an obidient follower, but what if you want to do something for yourself? The answer, they boot you out :p

I also hate the fact that gamers of MMORPGs are obsessed with just leveling up so they can pwn newbies or weaklings. They don't give a rats ass to the game's quest, how simple they maybe, & they see people doing quests as weak or stupid. A few days ago, someone bad mouthed me when I asked where to find the monsters called Mia so I can collect an item from them & this jerk pretty much cursed at me & ending his rant with Quests are for the weak so I'll beat you up. I didn't give him any chance, I just hopped on my hoverboard & left.

The next few days I just shut myself out, I disabled the duel, party & chat modules off so no one can bother me & do whatever quest I wanted, but being the friendly guy that I am, I would answer n00bs who asked me questions & tell them what information they needed, provided I knew what answer to give.

So it went on like that, me doing quests, not letting others bother me, until two days ago...

There was a sort of election in the game where the winner was to become the lord of the server I was in. There were three servers hosting the game & each one had it's own lord candidates & a winner. I never gave squat to this whole crap as how'd I vote for some jerk I don't even know. But that wasn't the end of it, just last night the winners & new lords were announced. As I was playing through, people were greeting the newly elected lord & all were rejoicing. The last thing I read on the chat window was the ham (lord) making a short statement, "My victory is a victory for all of us". In my head I was saying, "yeah right, screw you you big Douche!".

Now comes the straw that broke the Camel's back:

Whilst he was doing his crappy victory gloat, I was about to land in the town of SaintMorning to sell my loot, items, weapons & armors I got from slaying monsters. As I go into one of the stores to sell my stash, I see that the cost of stuff has increased by ten percent & the value of items to sell dropped by ten percent! Greedy son of a...!

It was then I shouted to everyone playing, in all caps to really emphasize my rage:

"YOU GOD DAMNED PIECE OF SHIT! VICTORY FOR ALL OF US! AS IF, YOU JUST RAISED THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING BY 10%, SO YOU CAN JUST SIT ON YOUR ASS & PROFIT! YOU BIG DOUCHEBAG!!!"

I logged off, uninstalled the game & swear to never play another stupid MMORPG ever!

2. 2000wolfangs

2000wolfangs Member

Lol I agree.

That is what happens in Maplestory. So annoying and greedy.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Another thing I hated were all the message flooders who were churning out garbage messages about things they sell, which by the way are extremely expensive. The cheapest costs a staggering 5 Million Penya or game credits.

That tax adjustment system in the game should really be taken out, it really killed the game for me :p

4. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Hmm, I still play them, but not too much. Most of them you need to grind. Which is gay.

5. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well there is people like this in every MMO, and i PK alot of them. Form my experinces people who talk that way is actually weaklings.

anyway MMORPG is only 'fun' for a while.

6. Reider

Reider Modereider

Tried one once, got bored of it after a couple days.

I'm not big on grindfests since I don't have the time or the patience to gain next to no experience for hours on end. :p

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Ugh! The grindfest, same here, I'm just astounded as to how MMORPG addicts can stand it. I'd rather do quests than just grinding away on mosters just to gain one measely level. Thank God some of you feel the same as I do :)

8. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I play Ragnarok Online private servers, semi-high rate so you get up to a proper level in a week or two. Then hold races with daily pvp tournament. Fun Fun Fun. :D

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

WoW on my server isn't like that; almost all the other horde members are friendly and helpful, and the ones that aren't generally piss everyone off. Sure the alliance players like to gank you when they're 40 levels above you, but if you shout loud enough you'll get a load of high level horde come and get rid of them. Plus at the moment I'm getting 2-4 levels a day on my paladin.

10. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Those things are to be expected for MMORPGs as a whole. There are always the "hardcore" PvPers who think everything except dueling is trivial. There are also the general profiteering "market" players who use and abuse the market system for all its worth. Add to that a plethora of other types: griefers, campers, scammers, eternal noobs, etc. Grinding is the entire game, and don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise. Grind, grind, grind while farm, farm, farm until you get good. Rinse. Repeat.

Don't get me wrong, there ARE good MMORPGs. They have their flaws, but some MMORPGs are genuinely a good game. I've had good experiences with Dofus (beta) and Ragnarok Online.

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Ragnarok Online is good, it's just it got too hyped up that now it's more of a fad than just a game.

12. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

well pokemon have the same concept, i wonder why i keep playing them and i cant play a MMORPG more then a week

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

One answer, there aren't any jerks on Pokemon.

14. 9NineBreaker9

9NineBreaker9 Well-Known Member

That's for sure. It really ruins the game to have a bunch of jerks running around, or a bunch of idiotic people spamming junk, or people generally being a royal pain. My problem with MMOs is that I never really find a class or anything that I can get into, and all of the free (well, relatively so) MMOs that I've tried don't seem extremely well made or full of people spamming "FREE BUT SECKS" all the time. Yeah, no thank you. /delete

As for grind... quests I can understand, but just raw grinding, killing the same crap over and over again without any other goal... that one baffles me. But, then again, I really only play WoW because I don't have very much else to do, so perhaps my sense of monotony has been dulled a bit XD

15. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

Eeeewwww... MMORPGs. ;D

16. Deathbreak911

Deathbreak911 Well-Known Member

As a once creater of small ORPG's (around 50 players, 15~20 at a time) I can tell you that you shouldn't hate the MMORPG's because of them themselves, you should hate the doushes in them. Perhaps I can suggest one of these small ORPG's where you'll learn that it's the people that make it all worth while. If you play a popular game, and certainly if you play one that's easy to access and kid friendly (in gameplay, not chat) like Runescape or FlyFF, you're sure to encounter many people who are just there for "pwning nubs" Other, less popular mmorpg's (or ORPG's) center around leveling to make things easier and funner. The whole point of many ORPG's I play and really, honest to God enjoy, is getting strong enough to go out with friends and work to get stronger (bosses/loot runs/ect)

The charm of ORPG's comes in one of two packs: Runescape and Guild. Runescape appeal = "FREE BUT CEX!!!!!!111oneoneoneelevin" and is hated by everyone who isn't there to mess with the few fools trying to have fun. Guild MMORPG's focus around getting stronger with your friends (sometimes newfound ones!) War can be a fun thing if no one is getting hurt ;)

17. Girogex

Girogex Guest

Runescape bores me. Most mmorpgs are alright for awhile but then you just spen hours clicking on a monster to kill it. When you go into partys most of them are on high levels so you see kicking ass against the monsters while you get killed by the monsters in about 4 hits.

18. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I just started to play another MMO, Eve Online, this one's kinda better as it's a sort of space exploration type game.

As for Flyff, I'm playing it again after a friend told me that alot of players complained that they also hated the lord system. The lords were dethroned by the game company who hosts the game & the guild seige system was re-instated. Actually, I already got back at the game in a way, I made five seperate accounts, each with three characters each for a total of fifteen players. I played through using all of them, then transfering all the money to one account. So that one account now has like 300 million penya & I have power rings that enable new characters I make to be strong enough to take on monsters ten levels higher that they are & in mobs!

It's really funny, when some doucher tries to PK me as he can't cause any significant damage to my players ;D

19. DevilDinah

DevilDinah Well-Known Member

it's good business though, i once made cash hosting Ragnarok Online bot services (i'm the only one with free internet connection in my class),and there was this one sucker who traded my friend's whisper card with a motorbike worth 9.8 Million

20. tori93

tori93 Active Member

i feel the same too, but i don't hate them. everytime there's a new MMORPG comes out, if i found it interesting, i tried it, but somehow its always the same, and i get pretty bored fast. the longest MMORPG that i played is RF Online, its decent and exciting and have a good gameplay but still i get bored...
    many of my friends love mmorpgs alot, even they waste their money on point vouchers so they can buy rare items in item shops in a lot of mmorpgs.
    maybe mmorpgs aren't my type, i loved console games more than mmorpgs because they have interesting stories, gameplay and other things that i can't find in mmorpgs.