1. This forum is in read-only mode.

New processor help?

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Churlbreak3, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Churlbreak3

Churlbreak3 Active Member

Hello everybody. I've had my PC for about 3-5 years and it's beginning to show it's age which is evident when i played AC4 recently. I'm looking to upgrade my processor. My current processor is a Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300. I was looking for compatible processors to it's socket 775 and wanted a core 2 quad but realized it was too expensive. I did find an Intel Pentium D Processor Extreme Edition 965 SL9AN 3.73Ghz which is compatible with its socket. Now the thing i want to know is if it is compatible with my motherboard which is a G31TM - P31

Thanks To Everyone who posts.

2. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

If it's compatible with the socket, then the motherboard should be fine.
    But if games are lagging, it might be your graphics card. What's your GPU like?

Also, don't take my word for it. This is the Lion's territory (pun intended).

3. Churlbreak3

My graphics card is fairly fine to be honest. It's not the beefy GTX's but it is a GT 630.
    By the way, did not get the pun D:. Sorry. Thanks for the reply though
    New question. is the Intel Pentium D Processor Extreme Edition 965 SL9AN 3.73Ghz any good? In terms of gaming that is.

4. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Loony right :D lol good one!

5. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Hmm.
    Your graphics card is good, BUT not that good. Might want to look at the GTX 760s if you've got the cash.

The 'Lion' is our Admin. He's profession is all things computer related.

CPUs aren't that related to gaming, but the one you've chosen is pretty bad.
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+D+3.73GHz&id=1132

That's a benchmark test against the latest CPUs. Myself, I'm getting the AMD FX-8350.

6. Churlbreak3

Dang, it is pretty bad D:. Thanks for telling me before i got it XD. Though, now i'm wondering what would be a good processor since when i went on ebay the other day to check how much the core 2 quad was, it was around 15 k 0_0. If it's just bad pricing then could someone tell me the real price.

Though if that is the real price, i get the feeling i should just change my motherboard and get an i7 or something like that. Since i'm kinda low on cash, i can't afford all those high end motherboards which go from 15-50k a pop. Could anyone suggest a good motherboard which isn't in that price range?

7. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Before we go any further, could you give me your currency?
    'Cause '15K' means $15,000 dollars here in AU, and with that I could by a beast of a computer.

8. Churlbreak3

Ahaha, Right...sorry. The currency here is in Philippine pesos which is 43 pesos to 1 dollar the last time i checked.

9. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Ah, that's better.
    Well, if you're looking for an i7, have a look at the 3770k. There's a few cheap ones on eBay and similar (may be refurbished though!).

As for a motherboard, this might suit your needs.
    Not that expensive, and it's quite good. It'll set you back about 6793 PHP.

Try and avoid he ASRock motherboards. They won't last.

10. Churlbreak3

Oh, Nice! That's a pretty reliable looking motherboard :D. Thanks for all the help man! I'll probably be able to get it in the next month or so.

I cannot thank you enough :D

11. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

No problem bro.
    I got all my knowledge off Loonylion 'cause I'm building a $2,000 PC in the next month, so I needed help as well. I'm basically just passing on his words.

12. Churlbreak3

Ah, Alright. Nice budget though. Must be quite a beefy PC. Good Luck building it :D
    Post Merge: [time]1385267130[/time]
    New question. Can i use the old processor, memory and video card from the old motherboard with the new motherboard you suggested?

13. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Parents are paying half and I've been saving up for quite a while.

I'm not good with compatibility and stuff :)
    Loony helped me all out with that kind of stuff.

You can drop him a PM here or just wait for him to see this thread.
    Maybe link him to it.

Can't really help you much further sorry.

14. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

You'll need to get a socket 1155 CPU for that motherboard, your socket 775 CPU is incompatible.
    The motherboard is only compatible with DDR3 RAM, so if you're running on DDR2 (which I suspect you are) you'll need to upgrade.
    You should be able to use your video card in your new rig, although be aware it will probably be holding back performance on newer games.

15. Churlbreak3

Alright, thanks a lot.

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

775 is a very old socket. were you to upgrade to a newer processor/motherboard, your graphics card would be reusable, however your ram very likely would not be compatible with the new board and would need to be replaced. You cannot reuse your processor.

17. Churlbreak3

Alright, thanks Lion. Are there any other parts that would need to be replaced when i upgrade the motherboard aside from the Ram and Processor?

18. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

well obviously you'll need to replace the cpu cooler, and there's a possibility you may need to upgrade the PSU if your current one is running on a tight margin. You should also consider the airflow in your case as a new processor may run hotter.

19. Churlbreak3

Alright. Thanks for all the help.