1. This forum is in read-only mode.

New Nintendo home console to be revealed at E3 2011, to be released in 2012

Discussion in 'General News' started by markswan, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Yes, Nintendo are the only people who do this. This is why I want Nintendo to die as well.

*stares at PS3 uncomfortably*

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Well if they "need" to phase out consoles, they should damn give up the rights to all games from those phased out/defunct systems as well. But no, realizing that there are still markets to the old stuff thanks in part to the emulation & ROM Hack community, they re release defunct games & make you pay for 'em again instead of making their consoles backwards compatible.

And I forgot another niche group that should be encourage by console makers, the homebrew makers. Alas, just as with backwards compatibility, they don't give shit to homebrew & want to hog the market.

3. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

I see. You dislike Nintendo's business practices (which is fine, I understand)
    But you felt the need to nitpick on Nintendo's perfectly acceptable decision to release a new console in 2012, rather than 2020 or so.

Anyway, OT: I'm really looking forward to E3 for the first time in quite a while.

4. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Its coming out years after the ps3 so it should have better specs, a complete waste of time if its not, they already have a console that can't compete so why make another?
    I think this rumour is definately true, I would bet my new car on it.

And I also wish pokemon would die too.

5. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Was this a crack at saying that their water is radioactive?

As far as releasing a new console, it damn well better blow the shit out of the PS3's specs, otherwise it will just be another gimmicky sub-par console that feels "last gen."

Also, to stop production completely is effectively shutting down the company and there won't be any production at all for when Japan recovers. Downsizing is one thing, but completely ending production is basically killing the company. Remember, Nintendo and any other Japan-based company doesn't just cater to the Japanese market. It goes to the rest of the world as well.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Whoops, I didn't mean it to that effect. I was merely poking fun at this post by Calvin_0:

7. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

The disaster in Japan has damaged the infrastructure of the country; materials and power are in short supply in some places (and panic-buying and stockpiling of materials is worsening the problem), travel has been disrupted, large portions of the national work force has been lost. Donations to relief funds won't magically, immediately restore the country, and a few million is a small fraction of what is needed. Nintendo is still making and distributing consoles and software despite the circumstances and seemingly hasn't been adversely affected to a notable degree, as are many other Japanese companies.

The capitalist system isn't responsible for the recession.
    Support backwards compatibility with which console/s?
    Plenty of companies do this, it allows them to wring yet more money out of a game, effectively giving it multiple releases and profits from a single development. If people will pay, companies will sell. It doesn't make it right that they release the same games over and over again, particularly if it's a lazy port, but they are usually sold at a lower price than their original release and some people won't have played them before (~£8.00 for Super Mario RPG seems pretty decent to me when " " "original" " " games like Fable 3 retail for ~£30 to £45). Also, anyone with a PC and basic computer skills can run emulators for all of the old consoles that have games on VC.
    Consoles only gain a new generation every 5 to 7 years...
    But those aren't new generations, they're reworks of a single generation. With the exception of DSIWare software, the few games that had DSI-exclusive content and the applications built-into the DSI, DS games work on all the DS consoles the same. I seem to remember saying these things before on this forum, have we talked about this previously?
    You don't have to buy them.
    Unless a hardware standard were created for PC gaming, the gaming capabilities of peoples' hardware would continue to vary massively and probably be more expensive in the long run (having to upgrade hardware fairly often if developers don't limit themselves with an artificial ceiling to prevent games requiring powerful hardware that many people cannot afford or do not wish to purchase).

I also think that games should become public domain after a certain number of years (with any rereleases having to add additional features and content).
    Do you really expect console manufacturers to include legacy hardware for every previous console that they've ever created? That's pretty ridiculous IMO. Also, I hate to break it to you, even assuming Windows as the sole OS, there are many old games that will not run properly (or at all) on newer Windows operating systems than they were created for (and it isn't necessarily the OS that causes compatibility problems: the graphics card/drivers and other pieces of hardware and software may not be compatible).
    The lack of support for old hardware and software on a new console is the cost of progress; the lack of standardisation of hardware and software between different configurations of PCs is a problem that a console generation doesn't have .

8. msg2009

I wish that were the case too, but shouldn't the games designer be the owner of his property until he dies?

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

the designer isn't the owner. The corporation that employed him at the time he created the game is the owner.

10. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

Yes, but Nintendo and other companies ceasing production won't do anything beneficial at all to the relief effort. If anything, it would be destructive.
    I fail to see why Cahos would want a cease of all future production (of specifically entertainment and luxury companies) until Japan is completely restored.

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

It would ease pressure on whats left of their infrastructure, which is now overburdened due to the masses of damage caused.

12. msg2009

Ok same but with the corporation, shouldn't they have the rights to do what they want with their property? As much as I want to get free games I do think its their right to hold onto it if they choose to.

13. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Think of it this way.
    You have a well paying job.
    You have expenses, rent or house payment, car payment, insurance, utilities, and taxes.

Ceasing production is like quitting your well paying job.
    If you halt production, you're not making ANY money, and you still have to pay for these expenses, unless you sell your house, car, and whatever other assets you have.

When Japan recovers and there's no production, they'll have no way of making money (not even to break even). Downsizing is one thing, but halting all production is destructive like someone else said earlier. Even downsizing is harmful. It may lower bottom line costs, but it also lowers potential production (say you shut down 5 factories, that's 5 factories that are not producing, and 5 factories not profiting = less profit), and with less profit, it has no room for growth because of less surplus to invest in improvements, maintenance, R&D, etc.

14. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I haven't seen such a large amount of stupidity and lack of forethought in a topic in a while.

Gj on topping the old attempt.

15. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to be rid of the wiimote thing. If I wanted to excercise my feet, I'd go for a run. If i wanted to excercise my hands and hips, I'd... uhh...

16. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Can I has both? I don't mind it for aiming, but for stuff that can easily be used as a button (like rolling in DKC:R, or spinning in Mario) I'd rather have it as a button. None of that waggle shit.

It's supposed to be backwards compatible so I don't know if the new controllers will have wiimote features or if the Wiimote will be compatible.

17. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Well, they've had about 5 years to improve the Wii, hopefully it'll be for the better.