1. This forum is in read-only mode.

New DS emulator - melonDS

Discussion in 'Emulation News' started by M.AzaryPika3172, Apr 5, 2017.

1. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

Another working PC emulator was released by StapleButter (aka Luigi), former Desmume developer is out
    right now! Here the newest one - melonDS! Still under testing mode with some working games.

[​IMG]

Information:-

melonDS v0.1 is released. melonDS is an open source Nintendo DS(NDS) emulator. melonDS is part of a second wave of DS emulators. There are a few other emulator projects that are part of it, which you might have already heard of. Either way, check them out!

melonDS Features:

* almost-complete 2D graphics
    * 3D graphics (software renderer) with texturing, alphablending, lighting
    * input: keyboard and joystick, touchscreen
    * backup memory
    * booting from the BIOS
    * resizable video output window, preserving aspect ratio of individual screens

How to use

melonDS requires BIOS/firmware dumps from a DS. You can dump them with the following dumper.
    The files must be placed in the same directory as the melonDS executable, as follows:
    * bios7.bin -- ARM7 BIOS, 16KB
    * bios9.bin -- ARM9 BIOS, 4KB
    * firmware.bin -- firmware, 256KB or 512KB

Note: the DS-mode firmware in the 3DS isn't bootable. It only contains the bare minimum required to run DS games. Be sure to enable direct game boot when using a firmware dump from a 3DS.

Settings

Emulation: settings related to emulation. For now it lets you enable direct game boot (directly runs the game instead of going through the firmware).
    Input: allows you to configure keyboard and joystick input. You can change a mapping by clicking the corresponding entry, then pressing a keyboard key or joystick button. For now, joystick input uses the first joystick available if multiple joysticks are plugged.

Visit here for information and download:- http://melonds.kuribo64.net/

Windows 64 bit = http://melonds.kuribo64.net/downloads/melonDS_0.1_win64.7z
    Linux 64 bit = http://melonds.kuribo64.net/downloads/melonDS_0.1_linux64.7z
    Source Code (if you are programmer) = https://github.com/StapleButter/melonDS

To Do List (for future version):-
    • better 3D engine
    • sound
    • wifi
    • other non-core shit (debugger, graphics viewers, cheat crapo, etc)
    More To Do List:-
    • sound
    • more 3D engine features
    • hardware renderer for 3D
    • wifi
    • maybe emulate flashcarts or other fancy hardware
    • big-endian compatibility (Wii, etc)
    • LCD refresh time (used by some games for blending effects)
    • any feature you can eventually ask for that isn't outright stupid
    Stay tune for future version! I hope this emulator can support better WIFI coming soon! :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

being a opensource project this will have a steady pace in development.
    Since Wifi will actually be a thing in this project and now that Nintendo has stopped wifi service for NDS i wonder how will this be supported,and once it gets done im sure users will be interested in this.

so what are the other projects ?

3. M.AzaryPika3172

I don't know about other one than Desmume are primary one. You can ask StapleButter (Luigi) at GBATemp website or his Twitter social website.

4. You say it's "Better than No$gba and Desmume", But what makes it better than them?

5. M.AzaryPika3172

Just try it for yourself! It not better, so better wait in on future version will some more support which similar with No$gba, Desmume and other outdated emulators (Ideas, NeonDS etc). Right now, AR codes will not included yet, WIFI was still under testing mode and so on.

6. M.AzaryPika3172

MelonDS is now version 0.3! Change log:-

Download it here!

Windows 64 bit: - http://melonds.kuribo64.net/downloads/melonDS_0.3_win64.7z
    Linux 64 bit:- http://melonds.kuribo64.net/downloads/melonDS_0.3_linux64.7z

7. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

I admit that MelonDS is a great NDS emulator for PC, but with the release of DraStic for Android (which actually fully supports touchscreen), I am not sure whether MelonDS will earn the same respect. Nonetheless, it is nice to see that the NDS is not forgotten by us gamers (whereas it is by Nintendo).

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

not everyone plays games on mobile devices. I for one don't.

9. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Comparing MelonDS with Drastic is way off the mark. They run on 2 very different operating system/platform. Should have made comparison with e.g. DeSmuMe or No$GBA.

10. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

My point is that DraStic runs on an Android smartphone, which emulates the same controls as Nintendo DS since they both support touchscreen. The touchscreen feature makes the Nintendo DS unique compared to other portable consoles (e.g. Nintendo GameBoy Series, Sony PSP, etc). However, very few computers actually support a touchscreen, and given their humongous size relative to the NDS screen, PCs can never truly capture the ineffable beauty of the NDS's exquisite features.

Realizing that DraStic can emulate Nintendo DS ROMs at full frame rate even with a 600 Mhz single-core CPU and can support a high internal resolution, there is virtually no point in getting a PC emulator. I am not saying that MelonDS is a bad emulator. The first thing I said is that MelonDS is a great emulator. My point, however, is that when one has the option of playing NDS games with a real touchscreen along with a better internal resolution, why should anyone bother with a PC emulator?

Furthermore, I find no point in comparing MelonDS to other DS emulators for PC (or a similar operating system/platform) because the author of this post himself admits that MelonDS does not support as many features as its rival PC emulators such as DeSmuMe. Also, if you note the title of this forum, you will find that it says "New DS emulator - melonDS". Nowhere does the forum title mention a "new DS emulator for PC only".

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
  11. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

Dear Loonylion,

Sir, I understand that you are the co-administrator of this website, but I would appreciate if you follow basic grammar rules (such as capitalizing the first letter of a sentence and placing punctuations correctly) so that users may understand your helpful advice.

Sincerely,
    Sahel123 (TruthSeeker)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
  12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Somebody is either high as dope or is itching for a smackin'

[​IMG]

13. Sahel123

Sahel123 Guest

There is no fear in sharing the truth for the benefit of all; I would not have said this if I did not have understood him. By the way, your use of oxymorons is quite awkward, and your use of slang hinders others from fully comprehending your thoughts. Please follow basic grammar rules and netiquette. Peace be with you.

14. M.AzaryPika3172

melonDS version 0.4 was updated!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Change Log!

Visit here for informations! http://melonds.kuribo64.net/

Download it here!

Windows 64 bit => http://melonds.kuribo64.net/downloads/melonDS_0.4_win64.7z
    Linux 64 bit => http://melonds.kuribo64.net/downloads/melonDS_0.4_linux64.7z

Enjoy the games with... WIFI support!!!! :D If you're feeling generous, visit here!

https://www.patreon.com/staplebutter

Neon32 likes this.
  15. tomrobinsonz

tomrobinsonz Guest

LOL, dude, what movie is that from?

16. M.AzaryPika3172

Someone play Pokemon with trading between versions on 2 PC's!!!

That's was AWESOME!!!

17. M.AzaryPika3172

melonDS 0.5 is out!

This release finally brings a UI that doesn't suck. Oh and antialiasing.

There hasn't been a lot of changes due to real life issues (and being oh so efficient with UI coding).

The full changelog is below.

pile of copypasta

[​IMG] [​IMG]

How to use

melonDS requires BIOS/firmware dumps from a DS. You can dump them with the following dumper.

The files must be placed in the same directory as the melonDS executable, as follows:

* firmware.bin -- firmware, 128KB, 256KB or 512KB

Note: the DS-mode firmware in the 3DS isn't bootable. It only contains the bare minimum required to run DS games. Be sure to enable direct game boot when using a firmware dump from a 3DS.

Settings

Emulation: settings related to emulation. For now it lets you enable direct game boot (directly runs the game instead of going through the firmware) and the threaded 3D renderer.

There's also a wifi-related setting (which only ended up there because I'm lazy and I need to redo the UI). You should try toggling it if you have trouble getting multiplayer working.

Input: allows you to configure keyboard and joystick input. You can change a mapping by clicking the corresponding entry, then pressing a keyboard key or joystick button. For now, joystick input uses the first joystick available if multiple joysticks are plugged.

If your game fails to save

Check the size of the savefile. melonDS can, in some circumstances, misdetect the save memory type.

Save memory type detection is done only when no existing savefile is present.

If you provide an existing savefile with the correct size, melonDS will use the correct save memory type and saving should work properly.

Downloads

* Windows 64-bit
    * Linux 64-bit

If you feel generous

melonDS Patreon

Have fun! [​IMG]

18. M.AzaryPika3172

melonDS 0.6b is out!

This release brings a long-due sound fix and fancypants display modes.

The full changelog is below.

pile of copypasta

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How to use

* firmware.bin -- firmware, 128KB, 256KB or 512KB

Settings

Emulation: settings related to emulation. For now it lets you enable direct game boot (directly runs the game instead of going through the firmware) and the threaded 3D renderer.

There's also a wifi-related setting (which only ended up there because I'm lazy and I need to redo the UI). You should try toggling it if you have trouble getting multiplayer working.

Screen rotation: lets you rotate the screens, for games that ask you to hold your DS sideways.

Screen gap: sets a gap between the screens.

Screen layout: natural (screens always stacked on top of eachother), vertical (screens always laid out vertically), horizontal (always laid out horizontally).

Screen sizing: even (both screens get the same size), emphasize top (bottom screen is kept at native resolution), emphasize bottom, auto (tries to determine which screen to emphasize)

Screen filtering: enables linear filtering when the screens are scaled.

If your game fails to save

Check the size of the savefile. melonDS can, in some circumstances, misdetect the save memory type.

Save memory type detection is done only when no existing savefile is present.

If you provide an existing savefile with the correct size, melonDS will use the correct save memory type and saving should work properly.

Downloads

0.6b (fixed some bugs)

* Windows 64-bit
    * Linux 64-bit

0.6 (original release)

* Windows 64-bit
    * Linux 64-bit

If you feel generous

melonDS Patreon

Have fun! :cool:

Neon32 likes this.
  19. M.AzaryPika3172