1. This forum is in read-only mode.

NDSInfo moved!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kiekoes, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dedboy

dedboy Guest

We need no central hook, what some would call a gimmick.
    This site had downloadable roms, and thus established it's base of people to its forums.
    There is a staunch difference between establishing and maintaining a site.
    Right now we need to build on what and who we have, and help all those people who need it.

IE a Scribblenauts complete patch.

People want results and they want it sooner than later.
    RomU has people that do all they can to help, but this site has branched out to other mediums now.
    If you do not know what that means, it means:
    To Be Continued

Also we are not competing with this site, nor any other. We are but a technical support, and general chat site, with some games mixed in.
    Rom U has been around too long now, and our site should be viewed as a contemporary, rather than a competitor.

Also: Yoshi is.. unique.

2. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

:)

3. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Damn, I typed all that ::)

tl;dr

4. darkrequiem

darkrequiem Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, by creating a website that deals with the process of roms, you are indirectly competing with every other romsite out there. Not intentionally, but to the users. They see your site and they see RomUlation. They make a choice, since not many people visit 3 or even 2 sites for specific needs. The successful ones do have "gimmicks" or specialties that make it more recognized. RomUlation's could be the ease of obtaining roms or the sheer support from certain members. You guys have few members, but in order to get members, you need members and content. Expand your content so that members are attracted to the site and will stay, thus gaining more members who then post their own content, etc. I don't mean to discourage you, I just want to tell you the harshness of the internet, having been an admin myself.

Yes, yoshi is unique :/

5. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Yoshi is dumb.
    You are right.

6. funguy

funguy Well-Known Member

NDSInfo, as I said in a previous post is not offering anything that net users can get from their regular sources, so why should they use NDSInfo?

For the site to really take off you are gonna need some items of interest to attract users there, I feel these items are gonna need to be really substantial or else the site will fail.

Unless you are quite happy to have a site that becomes a meeting place for a few mates, having said that, you all seem to meeting here at RomU anyway.

7. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Same here.
    A website without content is no site at all.
    The site could be gimmicky, hell we could add a chat box and flash games I suppose.
    And no, you're not discouraging, your constructively critiquing, that's well and fine in my book.

I have no idea of what your sites contents included, but the animation and manga sites of course, are as popular ever.
    Could add a section on that, but then we'd be indirectly competing with those sites, and so on and so on. Sure I can be original, and make a site that know one has seen before.
    And so can almost every user up here. People hate change, and Rom U is seen as a staple for the regulars now, so they won't easily sign up to NDS without something to keep them returning.

At least until √Pillar to Post√ is made a reality.

Keep in mind no site is safe in terms of it's sustainability, even this one.
    If not for those behind the scenes, IE Loony and Seph, it would have crashed back then.
    look over their early posts to see what I mean.

8. darkrequiem

I know, they are partly who I was referring to when I said "certain members".
    I'm not saying you need something completely new, because that's almost impossble with the internet today. You could take something already done and concentrate on it, like the articles yoshi and keikos wrote. In the end, it's a big gamble, because we have sites like twitter that seem like a copy of other sites, but still manage to gain users constantly (unless the userbase of twitter is finally decreasing!?)
    I can't give you solid advice, since my site failed after a few months. It was fun while it lasted, but I did learn lessons that I will put to use if I ever delve into that again.

What is Pillar to Post?

9. dedboy

dedboy Guest

A side project I was working on, a site with a central gimmick. I know that sites fizzle fast, and that being said, it's uber important to get established.
    I took a approach of asking folks before I set the site into motion if they would like to board the train.

My site, should it become a reality, is the epitome of what would be risky.
    Luckily I have people that can make it a reality, so long as I hurry up and figure out the basic concept of how I want it to be seen from first click to site exit.

I'm puzzled on this one. I don't think another SMF site is ideal.

10. darkrequiem

No another SMF site is not good. If you still want a forum, there are many contenders to SMF, but they look similar until you change the template.
    Invision/IPBFree, PHPBB, VBulletin. All pretty good, as far as forums go.

OT: You guys definitely need a new css design or template, because a different design than the default screams "Active Site".

11. dedboy

dedboy Guest

Yes, the last point is agreed upon fully.

Default site skins look outdated from the get go.

That is something worth changing, and hopefully it will be done.
    Just nothing blue, or with blue in it. Rom U has made my sight go wonky at times.
    Damn Psyduck style headaches, I can't shake them anymore.

12. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

the bad part is that kiekoes doesnt want to change the theme of the site :\

13. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

why not, it would look more professional, and attract more people

14. dedboy

dedboy Guest

:/ yeah that is a bummer.
    I know he wants it to be like Rom U, but all the folks from here will see it a rom u rip off.
    I think he'll change his mind in time, he's smart if he wants to be.

15. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

you're suggestion of themes are gay.

16. CoolKill3r

the first time i asked you if we wanted to change it you clearly said: NO!
    so it had nothing to do with the themes then!

17. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

And you are not either.

18. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

Sorry to say but RomU and DS SCENE is way better!
    One question: why did you guys made that forum? What is the point?

19. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

Duh, to become the #1 source for DS info of course!

20. CoolKill3r

at first to make a central point of information about all flashcards and its firmwares,
    by helping other people and there problems!
    the scene release is just an extra!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.