1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[NDS] Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Discussion in 'Review Submission' started by LuckyTrouble77, Oct 16, 2010.

1. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Batman: The Brave and the Bold

[​IMG]

- Description from: http://ds.ign.com/objects/045/045910.html

Batman: The Brave and the Bold is an action side-scrolling game filled with unique gadgets, characters, collectibles, and much more. Unlike other Batman games previously made, this remains closer to the comics rather than recent animated movies and the like. This review will cover the ins and outs of this DS adventure.

Story

There is no actual storyline in this game. Instead, you are given various scenarios. These place you in different environments where you inevitably team up with another hero from the DC Universe to take on the many enemies and boss fights. Each scenario starts Batman alone, but quickly finds him teamed up with another hero. This hero is vital to succeeding and requires you to use them in conjunction with Batman to ultimately reach victory. Each hero is very different, and some feel very useless outside of their needs for the platforming aspect. The other heroes just don't play a vital enough role in their own scenarios.

Although the scenarios are engaging, the extra heroes just come and go. You don't get to really know them, and you get few chances to play as them outside of their specific scenario. Even in their scenario, you'll find yourself preferring the upgraded Batman to anything the other hero can dish out in a big fight. The scenarios themselves are also dreadfully short. Getting through all the scenarios can be done in as little as two to three hours, and they lack re-playability. They can contain some difficulty, but that difficulty is quickly defeated using the various gadgets you can purchase as Batman.

Overall, the story truly leaves something to be desired, as it could have been incredible with everything we know Batman for. Instead we were given nothing but a handful of scenarios that don't even begin to tap the potential this game had.

Score: 5/10

Sound

The music and sounds in this game are fantastic. The music and sound effects are all authentic. It all sounds great even on the DS's tiny speakers and is a pleasure to listen too. Unlike many games on the DS, it's worth spending the extra battery life to pump up the volume and enjoy everything the game has to offer regarding sound.

Score: 8/10

Extras

Where this game lacks in story, it makes up for in extras. As previously mentioned, Batman is fully upgradeable. While playing through levels, you collect little golden batarangs that act as currency in Batman's customization shop. In this customization shop, you can get multiple armor upgrades, batarang upgrades, new gear, and much more. The only downside to this though, is that Batman is the only customizable character. The rest of the characters are thrust into obscurity and feel insignificant next to the power of Batman. It would have been a huge improvement if you could give minor upgrades to extra characters too.

You will also find that as you complete scenarios, the challenges section of the Batcave becomes useful. These challenges range from obstacle courses, to enemy waves, to boss rushes. No upgrades are usable here leaving even Batman's challenges down to pure skill. Although some of the challenges are very easy, a few of them will really test your skills. The rewards for these challenges though are some lousy currency batarangs that you probably won't even really need anymore by the time you get around to the challenges. These are purely added content, but they also feel very extra. Like the story, they are shallow and feel almost tedious.

The last extra you'll find is collectible capsules that you get throughout the story scenarios. They can be viewed in the center computer and are basically models of all kinds of different characters from Batman's history. They serve no purpose other than eye candy and aren't good for much more than a single look through. With all the character models there, it leaves you wondering why more of these characters didn't end up in their own scenario of some sort.

In the end, the extras are nice, but lacking. The character customization is the only really fun feature, and even then, it is limited in multiple ways.

Score: 6/10

Conclusion

Batman: The Brave and the Bold is fun to play once, but you won't find yourself coming back for more. There are few scenarios that create a disjointed, lacking story with forgettable extra heroes, and most of the extras feel just a little too extra and empty. The game does present plenty of fun on the first play through though with incredible music and sounds that won't leave you disappointed.

Sadly though, this is a play it once and get rid of it after type game. It's disappointing due to what this game could have been.

Final Score

6.3/10

Note

This is the first review I've done in quite awhile, so it is not up to par at all in my personal opinion. I realize it lacks screenshots too (google was useless, and I can't be assed to get my own). I may revise it at a later date, but I will more than likely just make up for this with a better review later on.

I still hope you enjoy this review for what it is though.

2. klaimore

klaimore Well-Known Member

I like The Batman better. When Robin was still a kid, and everything wasn't so kid-friendly.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Well I like 60's & 70's Batman better & hated the 90's & the one in Justice League series because they made Bat Man into an un-trusting, Psychotic Xenophobe :p

Anyhoo....

Great review, it just lacks more screenshots especially in game shots.

4. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Thanks, and as I mentioned, screen shots were a total failure on my part this run through. I may update this with some screenies this weekend if I find the time.

5. pulidohe1

pulidohe1 New Member

Hello,

I am new to this and I am wondering after you download a Wii ROM and unzip it, how do you play it on the Wii?

Thank you.

6. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

To play Batman: The Brave and the Bold NDS on your Wii console, try using DeSmuMe Wii which is an emulator for playing NDS games on that console.

7. NintyRaccoon

NintyRaccoon Passive member since March 13, 2017

It's a well written review, and I agree with it fully. While I can accept the "lack" of an overal story (since each chapter is like a TV-episode of its own), I think the game is too short and there should be more playable heroes than just Plastic Man, Green Arrow, Blue Beetle, Aquaman, Red Tornado and Hal Jordan. I wanted to play as (Earth-2) Robin and Black Canary as well, not just collect capsules with their "holographic images"! And why can't we battle The Music Meister?

Like you said LuckyTrouble77: the DS-version is fun to play through, but only once.