1. This forum is in read-only mode.

My New System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Infernape, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

about 3% faster than a 3rd gen. Haswell isn't all its cracked up to be, especially considering how much more the decent motherboards cost compared to 3rd gen.

2. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Really? Only 3%?

3. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Then does that mean its only as good as an i5?

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Not trying to sound more stupid than already am. What's the difference between i5, i7, etc.?
    I got 1 computer on i5 which I barely touch, and I don't even feel it's any better than this computer I'm using running Celeron, or should I say jogging.

5. Loonylion

no it means its only 3% improvement on the previous generation of i7 running at the same clock.

they're different processors. i7 are the most powerful, i5 are the midrange and i3 are the low end cheap processors. Not sure if celerons are still made or if they're previous generation. If they're still made they're less powerful and cheaper than i3s.

6. jackass@lala

jackass@lala Well-Known Member

the current 4th gen laptop processors are capable of using the low voltage rams which is 1.35v , while the 3rd gen uses the 1.5v . i think this is the most advantage of the latest 4th gen system hence it's 3% more powerful.

7. Loonylion

that won't make it more powerful, will just make the battery last a tiny bit longer.

8. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

celerons till B480 were included under sandy bridge with the best of these able to give 1.9GHz and intel stopped making these from 2011. butt he interesting thing is that i3's 2377M were worse than the celeron with clock rate of 1.5Ghz and graphics rate of 300Mhz.

@Loonylion
    the 4702MQ which Dark Infernape has got here is an Mobile processor , can you tell the difference between Mobile and desktop processors .

9. Loonylion

mobile processors are less powerful. they consume less power and create less heat than their desktop counterparts, but are capable of less as a result. Also you typically can't buy them as a standalone package.

10. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Yesterday i updated my nvidia drivers to 337.88.

Oh and i ran and tested a few ISO's on Pcsx2, and everything i tried ran fine, at constant 60 fps even with the "Enable Speedhack" check box disabled.
    I tried Dirge of Cerebrus, Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 etc
    Even then i could see the fps rise to 62 and 64 sometimes.
    And on the Balanced power setting, i could get stable 60 fps at 3x Res Scaling and dropped by about 2-5 fps each time for the rest.

11. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

just another question , this might be not releated to the topic but still
    when we but the motherboard and HDD separately , are the jumpers pre arranged or do we have to do that in the HDD and motherboard.

12. Loonylion

jumpers are not used anymore. (I assume you mean the caps you had to put on pins to choose master/slave/cable select). If you meant something else, please elaborate.

13. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

yes i meant the caps .

14. Loonylion

sata is one device per channel so theres no such thing as master/slave.

some SATA HDDs can have a jumper set to limit the speed, but it wont come set by default and its very rare that you'd need to set it.

About the only jumper found on motherboards these days is the one to clear the cmos.

15. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

i had seen these jumpers on a motherboard last week when i had gone to the computer shop so i thought that these things are still used, i guess that motherboard was old and thanks for the info :)

16. Loonylion

some motherboards might have a couple for setting pci-e link speed or something, but it's quite unusual. Most of the stuff that used to be set with jumpers is now done in the bios or uefi setup.

17. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

I want a good CPU/GPU Temperature detection software.
    I Use Core temp on my win 7 desktop. But i want something else of my lap.

Cause Core Temp makes win explorer in win 8 to crash and restart sometimes, and i tried using Speed Fan, it gives me a BSOD in win 8.1.
    A lot of other users has also had this problem.

So any good Alternatives to Core Temp and Speed Fan??

18. Loonylion

msi afterburner?

Bear in mind that not all laptops have cpu and/or gpu temperature sensors.

19. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Yep I know that. My system has the necessary sensors as Both Core Temp and Speed Fan detected the Temps.

I should add this, it should be possible to minimize the software to the notification area ( bottom right hand side of win 7), just like with core temp and speed fan, so I don't have to open the app each time.
    Loonylion Can I do that in msi afterburner?

20. Loonylion

yes, afterburner can be minimised to tray. It only does GPU temp though as far as I can see.