1. This forum is in read-only mode.

My dad hates it when I take videos, using a picture camera!

Discussion in 'Rants' started by garychencool, Jun 1, 2010.

1. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

I like to edit and take videos. My dad does not. He does not approve of me taking videos or even getting a camcorder. My dad said that it is useless, pointless. He said that if I can’t take pictures, I can’t take videos. (He added to that statement: If you can’t walk first, than how can you run?) WTF?

I can take pictures! Most of them are moderately good (I showed my neighbor some of my pictures. He is a photographer, a professional one!) and the videos are okay (as in not good). But here is the reason on why the video is crappy and shaky. I was recording the video off a camera built for taking pictures!

I was on video mode on my Canon PowerShot A590 IS. The video capture mode was total BS. SP is 10MBs while LP is 5Mbs. And the quality still sucks! And we all know that a camera is for short term steady-ness for taking pictures, not video! Camera builders but that setting there because chances are, you will use your camera and bring it to more places that your camcorder. It’s still very hard to record videos on a picture camera because it wasn’t built for it!

A camcorder is built for long term recording and it is built to fit in your hand (for maximum stability without using your other hand or tripod) So realistically, he is saying that there is “no point of taking videos unless it’s like in the movies/movie quality”. Seriously, the video operators use a really high-end camera that is probably on rails or on a crane. They are bigger and more professional (with pro settings/options). And I don’t even have that equipment! The video operators probably record the same scene a few times.

When I record, there are no re-runs, no re-dos unless you actually can. But I’m USING A PICTURE CAMERA!!!! It’s not built for videos! I can take very good videos, even on my crappy picture camera. But they are usually short. I’ve been using that camera for two years and it’s still usable. It’s old but good-ish. He also said that pictures are more important than videos. I reply with this: A picture is just a picture. One even only. What if you miss the even?

You shot too early or too late. What do you do now? With videos, it’s at 20-30 frames per second. That is 30 pictures in one second which means that a few seconds of videos are a lot of frames. You can take the even from the beginning to the end. You would be able to get everything on tape. He never really seen me take videos using an actual video camera. Well, there was this one time. I was using a Mini-DV cameras that were the good quality cameras. It was a Sony and that time, it was when I started to like cameras and stuff. But wait a minute, I was like 9 that time!

The camera didn’t really fit in my hands and the video was quiet shaky. Probably because it was like my first time using it! I remember that I took some good videos when m family went to Ottawa in the summer. I’ve seen a lot of movies and I remember some things to do when recording. The close-ups and back-zooming to see everything. That is just like above-casual recording skills. Now, I know what to do.

It’s just that I have bad equipment. Then it was given away. Anyways, when ever I go look at video cameras with anyone, (and I mean anyone, my cousins, aunts, uncles, friends, etc.) he tells me to not look at these things.

He said that it’s not nessesary. He has said that since last year (April 2009) when I was telling my grandpa (who bought the old video camera in the first place) the benefits of video recording, my dad like tempted him to not talk about it or buy it. Here I am now, he has offerend to buy a sub-$400 camcorder.

Finally, and just in time for the Grad trip (which is in like two weeks). I can record the events and there is when I can show my dad that I can take good videos, because now I have the equipment to actually, truly show him. And rub it in his face. I’ve been doing a lot of that for the past 6 months. I my opinion, my dad doesn’t buy ANYTHING that I would actually like (electrionc-wise) such as another SD card, re-chargable batteries, a new camera, a camcorder, etc.

He is like an ass about things. I probably will get a camcorder but when we went to Best Buy to check it out, he said to not buy it, not buy it constantly to my grandpa. Two weeks to go until the trip and I want to record the stuff that happens. If I do, I will like edit the stuff!

I can record 48 minutes of LP video on my 2GB SD card and 96 minutes on my 4 GB. I recorded a lot of video on my trip to china...

Anyways, you can all check out my videos on YouTube if you want to or have the time.

My user is: TheDailyNewsPost

There is a funny video named: Funny CHinese Boy: Washroom humour. That was video taped in China (Aug. 2009) using my crappy camera.
    Here is another:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8xrlNADu0o
    Me recording video from a van filming some rocks and trees. And the Big Chute!

I was like laughing when he said stuff before and during the video.

For anyone that wants to know what camcorder that I might be getting, it is a Panasonic SDR-H85 that is Sthandard Def with a 80GB HHD so I don't need bother getting SD cards. It has 78x zoom which is really insane! It's inexpensive and stuff.

[​IMG]
    Above: Picture of camcorder.

UPDATE=====UPDATE=====UPDATE
    The camcorder has been bought, I've unboxed it w/ making a video too. I'm not sure if my dad will allow me to bring it to places so like yeah. He said taht I cannot bring it to Ottawa (trip) which kind of sucks. Overall the video quality is good (to some extent)

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Big wall of text...

Because it takes up too much memory on the SD card or internal memory.
    Plus the videos are sometimes not the greatest unless you have a video recorder or a very nice digital camera.

Perhaps if you spaced it out I'd read it...

3. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

I fixed it for you

4. garychencool

@sylar1000 Thanks for the spacing but I was typing this really quickly and stuff.

5. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

He is kinda right.
    If you can't walk, how will you run?

Start taking video with the camera. Once you master that, then go up to the camera. :)

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

actually, he's wrong. Its virtually impossible to hold a compact camera still enough for video.

actually you need a tripod for steady video. Or a shoulder-mounted camera. bigger cameras = more weight = more stable. Don't just buy any cheap camcorder, you want one by a decent manufacturer, such as sony, JVC, panasonic or Canon. (two of my cameras are sony, the third is JVC). My first camcorder was a £50 (roughly $100) second hand sony hi8. Also, as a rule, zooming is bad, don't use it unless you have to and in that case zoom in and out slowly.

also, a real camcorder:

[​IMG]

this is my main camcorder, a sony VX9000E.

7. garychencool

Hey Looney, I remember that you said that your camcorder was like more than 15 years old and you use it to record stuff for your mom. Anyways, I totally agree with like everything you just said.

Hey, Quick Question, Did you go to Film school? Or Photography school?
    Post Merge: [time]1275420256[/time]
    @Ace1o1 I've tried extremly hard recording videos on my picture camera. I've been practicing for like 2 years and yet again, it's very hard to keep the camera steady, especially when you take long videos (I do that a lot). I don't have a tripod and yet again, I can continue ranting some more when I asked my dad for a tripod (which was $20). He said that I don't need one to take good pictures. I do agree but it's still good to have one.

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yeah thats the 15 year old camcorder, and no, I didnt go to film school. I did media studies at high school though.

you do need a tripod for still pictures at times, anything with a shutter speed longer than 1/60th of a second is too long for the human hand to hold the camera still enough.

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Ah!

I thought about the tripod, not the holding part, but I guess you would have to hold the camera in order to record in other areas that aren't flat.

10. garychencool

I remember taking pictures in the dark without flashing on Victoria Day. Yep, it's quiet hard to not shake the camera.

Anyways, you can all check out my videos on YouTube if you want to or have the time.

My user is: TheDailyNewsPost

There is a funny video named: Funny CHinese Boy: Washroom humour. That was video taped in China (Aug. 2009) using my crappy camera.

I was like laughing when he said stuff before and during the video.

11. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

If you're not so fond of these behemoth minidv cameras, go get a Panasonic Lumix GF1 or a Nikon D5000. The latter is the only micro four thirds camera that has the fastest lock-in focus and the only one that has auto focus and forced focus when doing videos.

12. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Your dad is right.

13. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

And THIS is why I abuse the enter button on my post :(

But it's still neat compared to what I do...

To gary-care to post one of your vids/pics so we can judge?

14. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

... At least you have a camera.

15. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Ironically the photo looks like ass.

16. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Prehaps a mobile camera taken pic?

But yes-quite ironic.

17. garychencool

Aparently, I agree with the picture.

18. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

So, is this about the OP's dad prohibiting him from buying a video camera or choosing a video camera?

Clue me in...

19. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

your father know the fact that money doesnt grow on tree. if you like to take video and picture, start looking for a part-time job and fund your own hobby.

20. garychencool

@Calvin_0 We all know that and he has A LOT of money (in his bank account) He just bought a new car in the Fall. It was a Honda Civic and I just found out how cheap "he really is". He wouldn't upgrade to power locks and some other thing. Well, it didn't bother me that much. But it did bother my mom. I'll probably ask my mom to buy it but yet again my dad would like pressure my mom a lot to say to.