1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[Mobile] Fire Emblem Heroes for Android and iOS NEWS

Discussion in 'General News' started by Prectorian, Feb 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Nintendo released Fire Emblem Heroes some time ago, so this post is a bit late. :p

[​IMG]

Anyway, for those of you who don't know about it, the game is on the Android and iOS. To play, you'll need a large memory allocation, and constant internet connection. WiFi is preferable, mobile data connection isn't. Since from time to time, you'll also need to download game data, which aren't small. Top that off with the persistent connection you need to maintain throughout playing. Hence, this isn't so much of a mobile gaming experience. However, you don't really need to do any micro-transaction, that is if you're ok with grinding in-game. But that's a small price to pay to play free.

Download links:
    1. Android - Google Play Store
    2. Apple - iOS iTune Store

Additional Info:
    1. https://fire-emblem-heroes.com/en-gb/
    2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem_Heroes

2. Prectorian

3. Prectorian

Game play :

4. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

The story seems really interesting.
    But the battle field is too small and also there are too many heros .
    In the console games a player hardly needs 6 allies for a war most of the time he can win most of the battles with just the main 3/4 characters.

5. Prectorian

Isn't that what the game is all about? Heroes? :p
    In some cases, 3 or 4 characters brought into battle might not even be enough. I've been in conditions where I'm down to the last man against 2 remaining enemies, despite my constant grinding. Then there is the special events, where you need all 4 characters surviving till the end against strong enemies. That's really tough!!! But yeah, playing field is limited.

6. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

its about heroes but everyone from all the previous games !. thats a bit too much.

NintyRaccoon likes this.
  7. NintyRaccoon

NintyRaccoon Passive member since March 13, 2017

What Neon32 said.

So what kind of game is this? Is it a non-canon Fire Emblem title where Nintendo throws all of the past characters into the game and hope people will be patient enough (regarding the stamina gauge) to play?

No (logical) story + annoying free-2-play mechanics + persistent Internet = No play for me. Sorry Ninty, but Square Enix's Mobius Final Fantasy is a far more enticing free-2-play game for me.

8. Prectorian

Yes, I agree that there's no clear story line and it requires persistent internet. Those 2, especially the later can be annoying if you wish to play on the go. But I wouldn't agree to the "annoying free 2 play mechanism" remark. It is fun, if you're into grinding which requires repetitive play. that is. Which means repeating chapters already won until you're reach your targeted level. :p The only micro transaction is buying gems, that is for those who aren't patient enough to wait for it given free at first login for the day. I've collected quite a handful of heroes and upgraded my castle several times, and up all the character's levels above lv.5 (they are lv.1 at first acquire). But they aren't strong enough to face off the enemies in 'Special Event' at present.

9. NintyRaccoon

Well... Past RPG:s usually forced their players to walk around certain areas, fight, grind and upgrade their levels (Final Fantasy I, I'm looking at you) so I'm not totally against that kind of mechanic in a "premium" game.

But I think that's tedious in a f2p-game, unless the player thinks he/she is having fun despite replaying the chapters several times.

Anyway, I was referring to some of the comments in Polygon's review article (which you have linked to) where several players thought they could only play a "short time" and then "have to wait an hour" before they could resume playing. I can't confirm the validity of their claims since I gave up trying to link my Nintendo Account with the game. Because of that I haven't played it to experience "that problem".

But if it's true, then there are other better f2p games (with stamina gauges) which could better entice the players.

10. Prectorian

There's a mechanism called stamina which is by default 50/50 (top left corner). It replenishes over time for free (anywhere from minutes to an hour or more), or pay using orbs for fast/immediate replenishment. Because the app is quite battery thirsty, there's little reason in my opinion to complain about limited play time. E.g. on my device, battery usually drained to 60-70% by the time I reach 38/50, which is around 10 rounds of grinding. Of cause it'd vary depending on device in use, background running apps, & phone settings. For me that's quite alright, since I usually play for 30 minutes at max before putting down my device or switching to other app.

As for Nintendo Account, well, from first hand account, not all region is supported for backing up save file for this app. E.g. my country isn't covered by this app, despite listed in Nintendo Account. But that's a minor issue, since you can always change your "country" from Nintendo Account Profile option to one that is supported. E.g. I moved mine to USA so that it's backed up. And as I understand, users are allow to switch region/country anytime to fit their need.

11. NintyRaccoon

Then it's not a problem for you then. That's cool, since the stamina gauge is a huge problem for other players in general. I can understand if they want to play for hours, but mobile games aren't supposed to be played for long periods after all.

I don't know if my problem had to do with it. The app asked me if I wanted to link the game to my Nintendo Account, which I wanted to. I clicked on the link, logged in and pressed the linking button. I returned to the app where I got the same question again. Of course, I returned to the website where I had to log on again, then return to the app and encounter the same window a second time...

It's like an endless loop where I in the end have to 1) play without linking to an account or 2) give up. I chose the latter.

12. Prectorian

Exactly, mobile phone games aren't for long hour play, unlike handheld console which is normal to use between 3-6 hours. Even if you're on the road, the same applies, which is to get a handheld console for long haul use. After all, everyone carries their phones/tablets around for its primary purpose; communication (make calls, text messaging, email, chatting, social media, etc.). Hence you can't possibly want to drain the battery flat.

I think the issue with your Nintendo Account might be just that; the region you use can't be use on the app, and need adjusting through the profile option. Then again, I'm not 100% certain.

13. Prectorian

Update:
    There's a real tough Special Event going on to acquire a hero, as well as a new duel competition.

14. NintyRaccoon

Prectorian, who is your favourite FEH-character?

Ikr? I don't understand why this is a serious issue for other players. I don't mind playing shorter sessions. Scientific papers (I can give you the references if you're interested) recommend people not to play more than 2 hours a day and take regular breaks often. By (almost) following that recommendation I feel that I actually enjoy the games better that way when my body can rest and play with full force at the next session.

Is the shorter play time besides awkward virtual controls (and microtransactions) the reason why gamers don't take mobile games seriously and call casual players "mobile gaming peasants"?

I play MFF and I enjoy it a lot. But of course I play the Steam version for the sake of my neck, overall gaming experience and simply because my phone isn't AAA-playable.

Oh... :(

15. Prectorian

I've no heroes preference, unfortunately, that's because FEH is the first FE game I've ever played. :rolleyes:

I only get to play short time, since I've other things to do. e.g. read ebooks. Back then, I used to play PSX & PS2 games for hours, quite literally hours. But as they say, it's history, simply because I was forced to sell the 2 system off. And I'm basically left with only an NDSL and my phones. I'd love to get my hands on the NS, but that's who knows when I can. I've other things on my wish list priority, e.g. a new dual sim smartphone since my 2 phones are overly outdated.

As for micro-transactions in-app, I don't do that. I see no reason to pay for it if I can acquire it free through grinding and/or daily login rewards. I see gaming as a form of casual fun, not a necessity. So if I can't progress further for free, I simply drop the game and play another.

16. NintyRaccoon

Hehe, so there's no character you like because of his/her appearance, outfit and/or personality then?

For example, from what I understand Tharja is very popular because of how she's dressed and her stalker personality. I like Marth even if I haven't played a single FE-game because I like his nice clothes.

I envy you. Before I understood "how things truly worked" I never got to play as much on the older systems in my younger days.

But why were you forced to sell them? Was it because they were outdated, you've finished all of the games and you wanted to play something new, but lacked the money?

How old are your phones? My current phone is three years old, and everyone I know gets a new phone once a year.

I actually prefer the old button-phones. I remember playing many great (although simplified) ports of console games there. I even played a 2D-prequel to Lost Planet.

Give me five, Prectorian because that's the way I see it as well. Gaming should be fun as long as you've time and resources regardless of systems. I can never understand the fanboy console wars and the pride of belonging to the "PC Master Race".

I guess I'm a "proud mobile gaming peasant".

17. Prectorian

None at all, I'm unfamiliar with them all. So no preference. So long using the character(s) result to winning, that's all that matters. Don't matter if the character in use is a female or male, human, humanoid, fairy, beast, etc.

I had to sell them off because I played too much, and had had replaced the optical drive several times (which was costly), then again, the money was later used to upgrade my laptop. I still retain the game CD/DVD though. Of the many titles I have, only a select few I still wish to replay, the rest no. Which I now can replay using PC. I was offered my cousin's no longer in use PS2 (seldom used), which I declined. I am eyeing the NS if by end of this year, I feel it's worth acquiring.

I've 2 hand phones; a smartphone from 2012, and an even older symbian which was my dad's. Both still in working condition, despite having to replace the batteries several times, and some annoying problems. Your 3 year old phone is way too new when compared to mine. :p I'm not one to follow trends, if I buy an electronic good, it's for long term use and for its function/feature, never for show. Unless it's broken/faulty, I tend to continue using it for as long as it last. Thus even if I do buy a new phone, those 2 phones would still be use. :)

18. NintyRaccoon

So I guess that's the same for all of the other games then? You don't have a special favourite, you only use a certain character as long as you can beat the game?

Replaced the optical drive several times?! o_O I can imagine the cost would be too great in the end.

So you play your discs with ePSXe and PCSX2 then? Which few games do you want to replay?

Me neither. I use a phone as long as it works. I had to replace my old phone when it finally broke down.

My current phone lags a lot because of my AV, and its internal storage is always too small to install new apps without uninstalling older apps. So in the end, it's emulation (and Final Fantasy All The Bravest) for me if I want to play games. Truth be told, I don't like smartphones so much. But I can't sadly "swim towards the current" and as long as I can play emulated games, I can only be grateful.

What are your favourite games on your dad's old Symbian?

19. Prectorian

Exactly. I choose base on the stats, not how they look. I've no fetish towards animated characters. :p

Yes, it was costly. Games I choose to replay for PS2 would be the Atelier Series, Tales series, Harvest Fishing, and a few others. For PSX only Kagero Deception.

There's only 'monopoly deal' in his phone, which I no longer play.

20. NintyRaccoon

Then you're one of the first exceptions I've encountered. :cool: Because many players/gamers, especially in the community I used to be, have an obsession towards fictional characters. And this often leads to really strange, weird and awkward situations.

Since you mentioned the Tales series, have you played Tales of Phantasia?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.