1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Missing the good 'ol times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CainMasters, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

You?! A game reviewer?! Don't go 'incredible hulk' if a game sucks. Anyway, I don't just look at graphics when I get a game.

2. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

RPG arent define as that...RPG mean a game in which each participant assumes the role of a character, generally in a fantasy or science fiction setting, that can interact within the game's imaginary world.

that mean game anygame that require either you play as your self or you play as the main character of a game is RPG... RPG like "Dungeons & Dragons" is an adventure RPG while it require the player to travel around to either gain level or item in a turn base enviroment. Adventure RPG is an evole form TTRPG (Table Top Role Playing Games) which require the playing to create and role play thier own character in the story and plot set up by the game master....

While Action RPG is dirrive from Adventure RPG with added Real Time action to give the player a totaly differ gaming experiance while added allittle pressure since the game require the player to be alert at whole time.

Like i explain just now, Stealth Ops, Shooting or Survival Horror is just the gameplay factor, not the game as whole....so like you were saying Metal Gear is a "Stealth Ops" game is not the game as whole, it just how that game is suppost to be played

and not i'm not a high school student, and the reason Yuna look like slow is because

1. She is easy going person and a kind
    2. She have to carry the burden of her father (who defeated the sin before her) and the hope of other people 3. She is doing her job (to live up to her father's name) even though she is clearly know that she is going to cause her life
    4. She is trying to live her life to fullest before she face her death.

i belive everything is explained during in the game and Yuna clearly stated that she cant finish the job alone as she is not as strong as her father, but she need to do job is because her father is the one who defeated the Sin last time and everyone expect her to do the same.....

You maybe dislike a story that build around a girl like that, but you cant say the story suk just because you didnt enjoy it.....damn...everytime i talk about Yuna, i keep thinking the scene where she do the Sending....Its so beautifull at the same time full of sadness :'(

PS: I dont like FFX-2 either... dont like the idea of Yuna carrying a "Bad Girl" image..i perfer her "Maiden" image in FFX.

anyway Cahos Rahne Veloza, go play Alteria Iris maybe you will enjoy it.

3. conjy

conjy Well-Known Member

You almost made me cry. :'(
    Bravo, bravo.

4. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Wooo.....

5. CainMasters

CainMasters Well-Known Member

I don't think that he meant you plus in his big post he was giving his best to stay calm.

PS: I can agree with going 'incredible hulk' every once in a while 'cause sometimes you simply have to be honest with your opinion

and cahos you can try writing a FAQ for gameFAQs.com: choose a game you like write about it make a walkthrough and the best thing is that you can be as offensive as you want to.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Calvin 0 is such a blockhead don't you guys watch review shows or read game mags or as cainmasters said go to GameFAQs, they categorize games according to genre & that's what I'm saying Metal Gear falls under Military Ops game genre & Resident Evil is survival horror genre Blockhead!!

Ofcourse I know that you assume a role in any vid game but that doesn't mean all games are role playing, for examlpe is Mario a role playing game? Yes you take on the role of Mario but depending on the game you play either a platformer, a board game type game or an RPG

7. calvin_0

well you do have a good point with mario, but older mario game doesnt have a story...it just like Pacman asking the player to get from point A to point B with the highest score.....so its kindda lack of RPG element to be define as RPG but arent the new Mario game include Storyline, Interaction with NPC and other RPG element.....correct me if i'm wrong cause i hate Mario.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

WHAT!!! You hate Mario!! OMFG!! I'd understand people who hate Pokemon but Mario?? Wow!!!! :eek: ???

9. conjy

conjy Well-Known Member

Well i don't really like Mario, but Yoshi, whole different story. ;D

10. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

cahos rahne veloza is correct, even if you play the role of a character, that doesn't mean it is a role playing game... according to the game's content, how can you say metal gear it's an rpg??... yes, okay, you do play the role of a character, but that alone will never ever do a rpg...

this is an extract from wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_genres#Role-playing_games...

[quote author=wikipedia ]

Role-playing games

Computer role-playing games (CRPGs or simply RPGs) draw their gameplay from traditional role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons. Most cast the player in the role of one or more "adventurers" who specialize in specific skill sets (such as combat or casting magic spells) while progressing through a predetermined storyline. Many involve maneuvering these character(s) through an overworld, usually populated with monsters, that allows access to more important game locations, such as towns, dungeons, and castles.

Since the emergence of affordable home computers coincided with the popularity of paper and pencil role-playing games, this genre was one of the first in video games and continues to be popular today. Gameplay elements strongly associated with RPGs, such as statistical character development through the acquisition of experience points, have been widely adapted to other genres such as action-adventure games.

Though nearly all of the early entries in the genre were turn-based games, modern CRPGs have introduced a real-time aspect. Thus, the CRPG genre has followed the strategy game's trend of moving from turn-based to real-time combat. The move to real-time combat began with the release of Square Co.'s (now Square Enix) Final Fantasy IV, the first game to use the Active-Time Battle system; this was quickly followed by truly real-time games like Ultima VII.

There are two different types of RPGs. The first involves the player creating a character and a non-linear storyline along which the player makes his own decisions. In the second type the player controls a party of pre-made characters through a linear storyline. These styles are sometimes referred to as Western and Japanese Role-Playing Games respectively, although there are numerous exceptions.

Action role-playing

The action role-playing game or Action RPG is a type of computer and console role-playing game which incorporates elements from action games or action-adventure games. So-called "Diablo clones" are also part of this genre.

Although the precise definition of the genre varies, the typical action RPG features a heavy emphasis on combat, often simplifying or removing non-combat attributes and statistics and the effect they have on the character's development.[1] Additionally, combat always takes place using a real-time system (hence the "action") that relies on the player's ability to perform particular actions with speed and accuracy to determine success, rather than mainly using the player character's attributes to determine this.

Tactical role-playing

The tactical role-playing game sub-genre principally refers to strategy-derived games as an alternative to the traditional RPG system. In such titles, the system has been tailored to incorporate gameplay from strategy games. The genre has its origins in tabletop role-playing games, where each player has time to decide his or her character's action. The term "tactics" was not widely used to describe such titles until Final Fantasy Tactics was released, where it popularized the genre in North America, although games such as Shining Force were part of the genre years beforehand.

[/quote]

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Don't mind that Calvin 0, Jin Kazama he's just being a "blockhead", but not the Lego kind, he's more of the cheap wooden alphabet blocks infants play with lol!!!

12. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Hey come on. No need to go insulting people just because they have their own thoughts.

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Ok sorry for that but it wasn't meant to be taken heavily like an "insulting' insult, it was more of a joke, you blockhead!!! Just kidding lol

14. calvin_0

o.k i was wrong...... >.>

15. megadethnatic

megadethnatic Member

I also prefer the old style RPGs. I'm not interested in brilliant graphics or so, for me the gameplay is the most important. And somehow the best games were all made before 2000:
    Vagrant Story
    Final Fantasy series (until FF IX)
    the Dragon Quest series
    Breath of Fire series
    Star Ocean
    Tales of Phantasia
    Lufia

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

AMEN Brother AMEN!!! ;D

Hey have you tried the "new" SNES ROMs out there, new as in recently translated Japanese SNES titles

17. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Why isn't suikoden in your list?

18. Cahos Rahne Veloza

How about Wild Arms do any of you like that too, an RPG with western (cowboys & indians that is) appeal :D

19. Reider

Reider Modereider

I only ever managed to play the second one in that series =/

Finding any of the Wild Arms series around my area is extremely hard for some odd reason.

20. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

No, you turned into Reider! (But your sig still says Asmadi.)