1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Mis-conceptions towards others:Discussed, clarified & put to rest

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, May 23, 2008.

1. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

some people could'nt take that they have AIDS so they make other people get their sickness too

2. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

There are some people who's immune system can fight off Aids, Cancer, etc, but it's a really rare trait, and isn't very effective...

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Actually, there are some people who are immune to AIDS entirely. My godfather's wife discovered them while working in The Gambia a few years ago. She has yet to succeed in producing those antibodies artificially though.

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

That's great!

Here's wishing for that to succeed!!

5. koal_ferrari

koal_ferrari Active Member

Its true you can have HIV inside you, even pass it on, and never experience any symptoms of aids.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

HIV and AIDS are not the same thing. HIV is the precursor to AIDS, and it is possible that HIV positive people may not ever develop AIDS.

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

HIV is the name of the pathogen

AIDS is the complications HIV produces

8. koal_ferrari

koal_ferrari Active Member

Yes like I said you can have and transmit HIV and be fine, The person you give it too may develop even AIDS

9. ultra

ultra Guest

gays, are they really good in fashion and stuff that women know or what?

10. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

well, becasue it lays dormant within your body, but once it enters a victim (Majority) They will develop an HIV positive, and of course, the disease known as AIDS....

STDS CAN KILL

11. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

you won't be affected because you are the carier and cariers don't get sick

12. ultra

ultra Guest

who cares if they're pathogens or not, either then the fact that once you get it, it's over.

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Well not exactly, it's not like you'll melt away like icecream on a hot day. Infact you can live quite well with HIV, you just have to be careful not catching anything else, as like loony said, it's not HIV that kills you, it's something like a common cold. And I do hope they find a suitable cure for this disease soon :)

14. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

It's like that blood disease (Hemophilia or something ???)

Where even a small cut can send you to the hospital

15. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

nah that prevents your blood from clotting which is the effect of dengue :D death by nosebleed sucks ass

while AIDS completely screws up your immune system meaning a normally nonlethal germ can kill you which sucks more

16. 9NineBreaker9

9NineBreaker9 Well-Known Member

Uh, no. While, yes, a great deal of gay men do fit this stereotype, there are extremely manly men (for a lack of better words >,>) who are only gay because they like woman, having absolutely no talents in fashion or the like. My stepfather's cousin is gay and, while being feminine, he still isn't fashionable.

17. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I've heard of a guy who was so manly, he didn't want to be with a woman for all his life, and he preferred to have a man....he was Gay out of manliness...

18. ultra

ultra Guest

you can't have kids, you'll infect your child and it's mother.
    you can't perform certain sexual acts any longer.
    you'll have to be careful with your bodily fluids in public and near people.
    people will need to know about your problem, so you'll have to be open about it.

19. kanakacheek

kanakacheek Well-Known Member

I think they are hung up on HIV because it mutates fast and there are several different strains of HIV (learned this in evolution). Not going to get too detiled, but HIV has two stages, one is where it cannot efficiently take over it's host but can be transferred to other hosts, the other is one where it takes over host cells easily but only for that particular host (other cannot get HIV from you). The second means you will probably not live long after. Some HIV strains are much more aggresive than others and somethimes you might contract more than one. Any virus that mutates fast cannot be immuned with aritificial antibodies (like the common cold). Also HIV is able to mask its self with host antibodies on it's cell membrane so white blood cells can't destroy it. You can't design an antibody to mark HIV because you don't know which cells has HIV based on antibody. So HIV is a really tough case. I think another way they are thinking of trying is gene target. Because HIV is a RNA virus, if you can block retrotranscription (RNA --> DNA) you might be able to stop HIV from taking over the host. But that'll take many more years of research and lots of money.