1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Mis-conceptions towards others:Discussed, clarified & put to rest

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, May 23, 2008.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

This is a thread to discuss certain mis-conceptions, beliefs, & labeling we tend to give others, weither outright, un-knowingly or in an implied way. We are to have an open mind & a level head if we are going to take part in this, as clashes of beliefs will occur, this isn't an invitation to flaming, but an attempt to clarify & put to rest any & all mis-conceptions we have about others.

To begin with, I'd like to ask the American & European RomUlation members about something we Asians have been hearing about & have been led to think about you guys. Is it true, that once you hit 18 you get booted out of your parents house, & are forced to live on your own? That you could visit them & stay over, but not actually live with them? Or if you did decide to live with your parents, you are obligated to pay rent?

And another thing is, if you already have a family of your own, you can dis-own your parents & siblings.

I find this puzzling as Asian cultures are founded on an extremely close family relations, so close that there are even instances where generations live together on the same plot of land, but in their own built houses. And even if Someone older already has a family of their own, they are still willing to support their younger siblings & their parents as well. this is true too with relatives outside the basic mother-father-children framework, sometimes, Aunts, uncles, grandparents & cousins help each other out in times of need, even the so called God parents are willing, if they can, to support someone who they're not even related too by blood.

Because of this, our Family closeness culture might even be weird in your eyes as well.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you can disown relations, yes, and it does happen, you don't even need a family of your own. Getting kicked out at 18, however, is a myth in most cases, although some kids do. Equally, having to pay rent to your parents is up to individual families. I don't pay rent (yet, my parents are thinking about it) although I pay half the internet bill. One of my friends pays his parents £40 a week. (He gets his first two weeks at home rent free). Moving out once you hit 18 just isn't an option in this country, 18 year olds don't have sufficient income. The decent kids will support their parents if they are able, but most do not, even though they may be able to. Family does not mean as much as it did a couple of generations ago.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

What's sad is, because countries such as yours had to choose progress over traditions, the meaning of "family" bacame synonymous obligation & bills, loosing the meaning of love & support, but it is good to hear that there are still others who hold onto traditions.

On the other hand, I heard that Japan had recently been too influenced by western cultures & beliefs, saying that if at 20 & above, you still live with your parents you're considered a loser, what the hell!?

4. Loonylion

we didn't choose progress over traditions, changing social and legal attitudes due to political interference have caused traditional values to fall apart.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Right, once again society's moral crumbles due to Politicians

By the way, I still live with my mom & godmom, although I could choose to find housing near work, but I still chose to stay here, sleeping in my old bedroom & eating on the old dinner table, sounds sickeningly nostalgic but true

6. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

I heard a rumor that people in japan eat fitus that were aborted, Is this true? ( no offense )

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

That's disgusting :p

Maybe they watched that episode of South Park where Christopher Reeve suck the juices of fetuses & thought they could have stronger bodies if they did the same, but still, eeww! :p

8. clyffe28

well I just heard it from someone

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Don't worry clyffe, I wasn't being rude or anything, this thread is actually here for answering things like that :)

10. koal_ferrari

koal_ferrari Active Member

I knew that people eat the placenta after birth but after reading the foetus thing i had a look around and found out...
    ... They do eat them
    see here
    http://www.geocities.com/orthopapism/anthropophagy3.html

11. clyffe28

OMG, so it is true but how do they have the guts to eat those things

12. koal_ferrari

koal_ferrari Active Member

Yeah it is quite cannibalistic but people eat strange, or what I find strange, things every day.
    Could you bring yourself to eat a seals eyeball, fresh out of its head. Or even veal which some people have a Major problem with.

Note: I wouldn't eat a foetus, but like the article said they would bin them anyway. So why not

13. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

Asians do eat anything that's why when most asians watch fear factor they laugh their ass off:p I remembered an ep with an asian guy on it I bet he would've breezed through the challenge, which was eyeballs or something like that and he did XD

In india there's a religious sect that eats the dead

14. ultra

ultra Guest

you have to understand why they [asians] eat anything. and you wouldn't say asians either, you could also say africans as well [they eat gorillas]. if there is lack of food then you eat anything. if your culture permits it then you eat it. you don't see that where you're living because of the economic prosperity that your country and it's people are witnessing within their boundry.

15. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Ok, here's another mis-conception I've heard, this one's probably best answered by people living in countries with Royalty, like the U.K.

Is it true that Royalty can do anything or have anything they want, provided it is limited to the lands/countries they live in?

Actually this mis-conception was brought on by someone very close to me. He said that royalty have it made, say a royal person wanted something so extravagant, they can have it, even if that something is something like a whole night alone with a celebrity they liked.

16. Loonylion

No. Our royal family are rich, but they have virtually no power. Some of them do take advantage of their position though (*ahem* prince charles) and Queen Elizabeth is holding onto the throne despite being in her 80s because she doesn't want her son to become king. (She believes he's too irresponsible, and considering his behaviour, most of the country are with her on that one). She is apparently hanging on until the throne would pass directly to her grandson William, then she might abdicate. As for getting what they want, the younger grandson, Harry, wanted to spend his gap year working with orphaned children in Lesotho, and he got his wish; the kids there had no idea that he was a prince, and loved playing football (soccer) with him. He said afterwards in an interview it was one of the best things he'd ever done. He also wished to serve in Iraq with his regiment, and that wish took considerably more effort to fulfil. in the end, it took his commanding officer, his grandmother, and the ministry of defence working in tandem to pull it off for him. He was secretly flown to Iraq, where he joined up with his regiment, and back home the media were subject to gagging orders and the royal family had to lie about his whereabouts. He was happy out there and his regiment said that he was one of them. unfortunately, it didn't last, an American journalist blew his cover after a few months and he had to be brought home. He arrived back on an aircraft with repatriated bodies of other servicemen, and when he got off the plane he told the press that the heroes were the dead people he returned with, not himself.

17. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Royalty in Denmark are on a budget, there are very specific limits for what they can and cannot do for the governments money, of course, they can use their own wages for whatever the hell they want, and they're paid pretty well. Royalty is nothing but a PR stunt nowadays, something to put on TV whenever they get married or attend some stupid event, a royal waste of time.

18. Loonylion

depends on the country, some countries are still run by a monarchy.

19. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

LOL Fail! I'm Asian and I live in the Philippines where economic prosperity is a lie and we do eat anything here, hoppers, mice, lizards etc. so I do know what I'm talking about as well and its not always about the lack of food some cultures are more curious and open minded on what thing can be eaten and asians are a big majority of these cultures belong to asian civilizations.

20. clyffe28

yeah some do eat mice, grashoppers, and other gross stuff but fetus is another human being, you never know the ones that were eaten might actualy change the world