1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Microsoft has Finally Started Nagging Me

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/10/windows_10_forced_download/

You WILL download windows 10, resistance is futile.

And this is outright illegal in the UK...

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

3. Blazemax

Blazemax Well-Known Member

FORCED DOWNLOAD, i dont think that is illegal, except if its FORCED INSTALLATION. im still wondering about the 3GB of data part being too much room. isnt a normal drive over 50GB by now.

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

GTA V is over 65GB in size, bottom line these days even a 4 Terabyte Hard Drive seems small for power users, prominent Youtubers alone like nerdcubed swears he uses several Terabytes of his hard disks for processing and uploading his Let's Play videos. I myself who has several movies, games and mp3 files on my system am already feeling my 500GB Hard drive is a tad small :p

5. Loonylion

It is illegal under UK law. It's a violation of the computer misuse act. The download was not authorised by the computer owner therefore it constitutes unauthorised access to a computer system and unauthorised use of a computer network.

Some people have been hit by massive bills because microsoft's actions put them over their usage allowance on their internet connection.

As for disk space, some people use small partitions, and SSDs tend to be small.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

One of my Bad dreams have come true...

At least it's Microsoft who might eventually change my OS and not some uber hacker who'd extort you for money to get your OS back.

7. Loonylion

Which microsoft may well do at a later date...

8. Blazemax

whoa whoa whoa, you do know how updates work right, it requires you to automaticly download them from the internet and then are installed, depending on your settings. Besides wouldnt the user NOTICE the massive downloading.

Also quit throwing the "This is illegal" The fact that the massive download was apart of a "MICROSOFT UPDATE" which they do on a monthly basis(or when security is at risk) has literally been happening for decades. If the person who didnt want the update, but had their update settings to automatic download, then its the user fault, not microsoft. They do give the choice to change those options in every os i have used.

Besides do you know some countries monitor and control EVERYTHING YOU DO on the internet. Apparently if you do something they dont want you to do, you get a nice trip to a prison or some other type of hellhole.....arent you happy we dont live there.

9. Loonylion

The user consented to receiving updates for the OS they have installed. NOT to having a completely different OS downloaded. This isn't an update, it's installation files for an entirely different OS and therefore is not covered by the consent the user gave for updates. And no, most users would not notice until they got slapped with a bill or termination notice for going over their allowance (most connections in the UK have fairly strict usage allowances and/or fair use policies, especially mobile broadband, which is the only option in some parts of the british isles).

I'm not just throwing around random accusations of illegal behaviour, I studied computing law at university. it IS illegal, period, fact. The download of another OS was not consented to nor was consent ever sought. it does not qualify as an update to the user's current OS. At no point did windows update say 'by enabling automatic updates you consent to microsoft downloading future versions of windows onto your computer without further notice to you'. Besides, windows updates have never been multiple gigabytes in size, nor have they previously used p2p distribution methods that mean the amount of end user's bandwidth used can exceed the size of the update by several times.

Also EULAs are irrelevant, statuate law overrides them.

It can be argued that people who reserved a copy of windows 10 consented to having it downloaded to their computer if such action was mentioned in the agreement, however people who did not reserve a copy did NOT consent and therefore by UK law it must be assumed that they do not want it.

TL:DR this is not the user's fault, it is microsoft overstepping the boundaries.

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

11. Blazemax

Im sorry, did you know law is about semantics. It is all about the interpretation behind the words, and as i said before "Microsoft" used that download as a "Microsoft Updated"(aka legal) as a way for users with 7 or 8/.1 to freely upgrade to the new 10. Loopholes, twist and badly worded laws are the reason they can do this without getting into legal hotwater.

Free advice, NEVER try to make an agruement based on "illegal" activites, cause fun fact, legal is an always changing, coming up with different meaning, completely bull$#!T waste of time, cause nothing is every simple or straight about it. You can keep arguing if you want, but it will end up a moot point. now on the other hand you can show "microsoft" being taken to court, then that would be a fun experience to watch.

@Cahos Rahne Veloza
    Go clean your face, you got shmuck on it.

12. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

Look likes M$ was force you to upgrade into Windows 10 right now! See the link!

http://www.techworm.net/2015/10/microsoft-once-more-forcing-windows-7-users-to-upgrade-to-windows-10.html
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/2994117/microsoft-windows/microsoft-accidentally-upgrades-win7-and-81-pcs-to-windows-10.html
    https://thestack.com/world/2015/10/15/windows-10-upgrades-are-being-forced-on-some-users/

Just the latest security updates for Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 with force download and install Windows 10 right now! Be warned guys! :)

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms8EZbGDt1Q

14. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

The only remaining "optional" Windows Update left on my system is "Upgrade to Windows 10". And yes, I know they had installed secretly that '6GB' kbxxxxxxx file into my system, which I have decided to ignore (instead of removing as I might opt to accept in future). :p

One fun fact is that they install randomly (as part of a so called trial) on some computers using Win10 advertisements into the Start Menu. If not mistaken it was a Disney related advertisement. WONDERFUL!!! Maybe next they should put flashing dating advertisement running banners replacing the TaskBar every few minutes, or hijack the Screen Saver as an advertising space. Brilliant Bill!

15. Cahos Rahne Veloza

@Prectorian: Sadly Bill Gates (if he's the one you're referring to) no longer actively participates in the "Rn'D" department of Microsoft.

16. Prectorian

He might not be active in the 'Ransack and Destroy' department, but as the owner, he still has the final say on whatever goes on in there.

As a conglomerate company, they are capitalizing on people's reluctance to learn other OS. Even people as young as us are too lazy to switch to Linux, Mac, or whatever other system available for various reasons, including because its the most commonly use worldwide. When my bro lend me his MacBook, I gave up 10 minutes into trying. Got fed up with the keyboard and interface, I couldn't even find where the internet connection interface is, as I am too use to using Windows base computers.

17. Loonylion

this is nothing to do with bill gates, its all on satya nadella, the guy who replaced ballmer. bill retired over a decade ago and aside from still having a seat on the board and getting paid, no longer has anything to do with microsoft.

18. Prectorian

I hope he intervene. They're making the system ridiculous.

19. Prectorian

They're pushing this at me :

[​IMG]

Should I give in and trade off my original Win 7? Read a lot of failed installation, and all sort of problem surrounding Win 10. *Undecided*

20. Loonylion

no you shouldn't. In fact, go read up on how to remove GWX and the windows 10 update kb ids, then disable windows update completely. Otherwise microsoft are likely to do it behind your back at some point.