1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Microsoft has Finally Started Nagging Me

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

That annoying Tray icon nagvertisement mentioned on this article...

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/microsoft-starts-prompting-windows-7-and-windows-8-users-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/

... has finally appeared on my Taskbar:

[​IMG]

And quite frankly, I am not impressed by it :p

2. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

I have a pirated version of windows7 . will i get this update ?

3. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

Nice! :D

Plus, Windows 10 release date is July 29, 2015!!!

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

According to the article I linked to on my initial post, a legit copy is required. But we all know Pirates will find a way LOL

Also I'm not so enthused about Windows 10 unless it does have 100% legacy support for old games like SIMCity 4 and old freeware software too. Emulator support is a major issue as well.

5. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

Yes emulator support is the main issue but they will have the compatibility options . Anyway wont be updating any time soon.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

go into add/remove programs, add/remove updates and remove the following: KB3035583, KB2952664 and KB2990214

Set your updates to manually only and make sure those 3 don't get reinstalled. (some are listed as important, others as optional).

that will get rid of the ads. If you don't do this you may find your computer being upgraded to windows 10 behind your back, as the above updates have the capability to do that.

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Holy eff~!?

Even if you do not opt to reserve a copy of Windows 10!?

That's just plain wrong and won't something like that be breaking the law?

And noted about those three updates.

8. Loonylion

I'm not saying they'll do it, only that the technical capability to do it is there. But considering Microsoft's track record, it's wise to assume the worst.

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I used to have nightmares of something of the sort, but instead of Microsoft it was hackers who would "hijack" my system and change my OS.

10. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

I just hope by the time my free window 10 arrive, its the same version as my window 8.1.. professional.. cause upgrading to window 10 home would be a downgrade..

but not really sure i would need it.. big point in window 10 was bring back the start menu.... i already set window 8 to start in desktop mode instead of tablet mode.

11. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Yeah, they definitely have a track record of upgrading your OS to the next big version. lolno

I'm more curious if Windows 10 is going to be worth upgrading to out of the gate or by waiting for the next revision for 10.1 . I actually really like Windows 8.1 so I don't feel a need to upgrade asap if 10 isn't an improvement. I don't feel like the readdition of the start menu is a big deal for me anymore, I realized that I never needed it.

12. Loonylion

they have a track record of dishonest and unethical behaviour. this is the first time they've had the capability to automatically upgrade a user's computer without consent.

13. Fennyariel

Fennyariel Well-Known Member

What I want to know what's the catch?! I mean how the hairy heck can they give an entire OS away for free?!

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

The catch is your copy of Windows 7. 8 or 8.1 is legit.

What they gain from this? Ensuring they'd force people to upgrade.

15. Loonylion

the catch is you can't downgrade again if you don't like it.

16. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

Well you can downgrade... at the cost of your entire files, well if you don't have em backed up.

17. Loonylion

and having to pirate windows even if you previously had a legal copy, because Microsoft disable the key after its used to upgrade, so its no longer possible to use it on the version it came with.

18. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

Even if said copy hasnt been used?

19. Loonylion

the free upgrade uses the key of the installed win 7/8/8.1 OS. Once that key has been used for an upgrade, that key can no longer be used to activate the version of windows that was originally installed with it.

20. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

Windows 10 is out now!!! Get ready for testing that! :)
    I will not use them for while until any news about good or bad after install Windows 10.