1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Microsoft Gives Up on Vista

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Patton, Apr 29, 2008.

1. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

I think you mean cores, a quad core processor with four cores.

And I think the best thing Microsoft ever made was Windows 98. :p Old, but great. If it wasn't for the compatibility issue and the old design, I wouldn't have XP on my computer.

2. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

ok a quad core would make more sense than 4 physical processors.

geez. that would be the bugatti of computers if it had 4 physical processors.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Some do, they're high performance servers. Some even have 4 quad core processors. My upgrade in a few months time will be to a computer with 2x quad core processors.

4. lilblkridinhood

lilblkridinhood Well-Known Member

yea quad core my bad hehe not good with computers ;D

5. billybobjrrr

billybobjrrr Member

wow, i guess i need to pay more attention to stuff. i actually thought vista was good lol :) that was probably because i could get some crazy things for the sidebar and im amused by silly things hehe >_> i hope the new ones good :)

6. devinjulian

devinjulian Well-Known Member

:-[ Uh, wait, did I just hear that somebody likes Vista? I thought people were told to stay off drugs :p.

Thank god. I don't even care about Windows 7. Die Vista. Die Microsoft. Linux ftw. I think that Linux will end up winning over the market in the end. It's growing so fast, more and more laptops are being sold with a LinuxOS on their hard drives, as well as development constantly being done on each distro. Updates are being applied almost every week on some OS's. MacOS is fine, but the only problem is... it's not customizable or able to h4ckz0r471Z3 anything. I do appreciate its features however, and the fact that it's written in UNIX. The fact that Linux is free right now... I have no idea how they are going to resolve that and make money, but I know the amount of Linux users is growing and will continue to grow. I also know that donations will increase making development more convienient for developers. Well, actually, I have no idea how the system works, I'm just making educated guesses. Well, partially. :D

7. Loonylion

Not all linux is freee, and although I like it, I can't see it taking over from microsoft for a long time, as it looks and behaves differently to windows, which will throw people that aren't computer literate. Additionally, many people mistrust free software, and a lot of people will stay with Microsoft purely because they don't know theres an alternative.

I am watching the development of ReactOS with interest, however.

8. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

Next windows name is probably gonna be: Windows Crasha

9. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

If they've learnt their lesson, it won't. :p

10. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

i cringe whenever i hear the word vista, even if it doesn't pertain to windows vista.

just the word is horrible.

damn microsoft ruined it.

11. 1Blacks1

1Blacks1 Well-Known Member

Well i have a Question.
    RIght now its a real pain to find a brand new PC that contains Windows XP (England) Since very PC you buy now has Vista. Well

Why dont you buy Vista and DownGrade its OS to XP ?

i can personaly do it because it simple and easy. all you realy need is a CD that will DownGrade it for you and a Serial Key That comes with the CD (If you Buy the CD that is).

At the End of the day Techniquly you bought a Windows XP instead of a Vista.

12. Loonylion

XP is no longer on sale, although in theory you can use the vista key on XP (vista's license contains a clause giving you a legal right to downgrade to XP) I have found that doesn't work. By far the hardest part is finding suitable drivers for XP as a lot of new hardware does not have XP drivers

13. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

linux, at least they don't shove garbage down your throat. i personally will buy outdated software just to avoid vista, when i get a laptop, guess it will be a few years old. i use xp, linux confuses me. only run it on my xbox.

14. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

I would like to remind everyone that the article on eWeek is 4 months old. As much as I hate Vista, I'm almost certain Microsoft have not given up on it yet. In fact they seem pretty supportive of it with their $300,000,000 advertising campaign (Mojave Experiment) and their statement declaring they've shipped 180,000,000 Vista licenses (how many of those were used to downgrade to XP is a different question, however).

15. Loonylion

That is pretty meaningless, that is how many they have shipped to stores and distributors. It does not reflect how many have sold.

16. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

Still, if they had given up on it, they wouldn't have said anything.

17. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

;D 90% of all statisics can be made to say anything 50% of the time. or some crap like that, funny commercial.

18. Fergalator

Fergalator Member

Wow, I am using Vista right. By God it's atleast ten times better than that bloatware Heroine Pot w/e the ubuntu guys made. That was simply terrible. It was and probably will be the worst OS I've ever used, I am disqualifying linux due to my bad experience with ubuntu. It's not that I can't deal with Linux as much as it's that OS lagged terribly and for some reason kept using more RAM than Vista is using right now. Even Leopard *cringe* on this comp (not a Mac) doesn't suck as much as ubuntu did. Vista has been good to me so far, sure it uses more resources more than XP, but who cares. As long as it run things as good as XP did. I will probably throw out this computer after a year or two from now, so I couldn't care less about my hardware ****ing up. Vista after SP1 has really fixed things up. Vista doesn't deserve the crap it gets from media and everybody else. I respect that some people did use Vista in it's pre-SP1 days and got burned. But these days are over I think.

19. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

You should give Linux Mint a try, I agree that Ubuntu doesn't exactly strike my fancy either. But it depends on the purpose you use it for really, if you game a lot of very demanding games then you're better off with XP, if you just use office and browse then Vista isn't bad, though you could easily swap it with linux if you don't mind playing around with computers.

For the RomUlation servers we use Fedora Core which works pretty awesome, though we don't use a graphical interface. :p

20. Loonylion

if you think vista is good you've never used Server 2003. It blows XP out the water and leaves Vista struggling to see the vapour trail.