1. This forum is in read-only mode.

mass effect new piracy protection plan

Discussion in 'PC' started by ultra, May 7, 2008.

1. ultra

ultra Guest

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/game-registration-piracy,news-1260.html

the funny thing about the article is the use of wii as an example but you don't see companies [ea and the likes] make the dedication that they try to implement. for the wii all you see are constant ps2 clones with gimmicks of course.

anyway, this news made me decline to make the purchase of the game as i don't have a net connection on the computer i play it on.

2. that sounds about right, pc gaming is on its last legs, crysis is an amazing game (not many pcs can run it at high quality >.<) but even at low quality it looks incredible, and the interactive environment...*drools*...but I agree with that article, consoles will be the future, and they arent really consoles anymore, seeing as how they can do so much more than just play video games

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

PC gaming is not on its last legs, it is considerably easier and cheaper to develop games for PC as it is a standardised architecture.

4. ultra

ultra Guest

that was microsoft and sony's doing, multi-function machines [remember the ps2, which offered dvd playback]. this eventually lead to the blu ray playback [their selling point] on ps3.

it maybe true that it is easy to develop and make games cheaper on the pc, but it is also easy to boot leg them as well.

5. sorry loony, but your wrong on this one, pc gaming isn't gonna last. pc games are so easy to pirate its not even funny, and the ps3 blu ray player is actually better and cheaper than some of the stand-alone blu ray players on the market.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I'm not wrong, I'm a programmer. Piracy is a minor concern for PC games companies.

7. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

PC gaming is definitely not going to die out, I'm a PC gamer and would never, ever, ever replace my PC with a console short of it getting a mouse and keyboard, which would essentially make it a PC. (You can hook a PC up to a TV too you know)

There are loads of things were consoles just aren't a viable options, shooters are horrible on consoles; granted, you all have the same handicap - but it's a handicap none-the-less.

What I do believe will happen though is that the line that separates PC's and consoles will fade away and eventually just disappear, there really aren't much difference today either, both of them uses a CPU, RAM, graphics card etc. The difference is that consoles have hardware dedicated to gaming whereas PC's are often more general orientated. Furthermore consoles have a custom GUI smacked on top of their OS that ease the use of it, or in other words, it restrict what you can do with it. But even this is becoming less so, the iPhone and PS3 both has the ability to use Linux and the PS3 can even run on MacOS (and possibly other OS' I've never bothered to notice) and with that freedom comes the ability to crack games stored on the console harddisk and mounted in a virtual disk. So piracy on consoles will eventually be the same as on PC.

So the only reason for PC gaming to die is if consoles become what is generally accepted as a PC, which wouldn't surprise me if it did.