1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Martial arts

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Solus, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I attempted to but fell short of the mark so I got white with two black tags instead of yellow or red (wadu-ryu karate). Next grading I got yellow, then I changed styles and got to orange (shotokan) before I stopped.

2. sigma_man5885

sigma_man5885 New Member

Yo! I practice ninjitsu, muay thai, tae kwon doe, and jujitsu. All are very fun and I love being a mixed martial artist.

3. Lil SaintDemon

Lil SaintDemon Well-Known Member

I challenge thee.

4. sigma_man5885

sigma_man5885 New Member

Pick your poison. As long as we both have fun. lol

5. Miyu

Miyu Well-Known Member

Was into Taekwondo for four-five years... Quit at red belt, aha. @__@' Been thinking whether or not I should go for Black Belt, but I haven't gone for two years. All I remember are kicks, lmao.

It'd be nice to be learn different martial arts though~ C:

6. tartal

tartal New Member

Karate do Shotokai. It s a bit different from Shotokan, less competitive and more dedicated to the search of perfection in what we do. Been practising for about 4 years and I really enjoy it because it is a very serious but fun martial art.

7. iSpawn

iSpawn Active Member

So much karate and TKD in this thread. :-X I feel lonely. Well I have been doing Muay Thai for quite some time now, and I really like it.

I've checked TKD and Karate before, but I didn't really like it much, so I stuck to Muay Thai... And so far no regrets... It's really awesome.

So many weapons at your disposal, I also have done some smoker matches... Those are the best. ^-^

8. VIII....

VIII.... Well-Known Member

Kobudo. almost forgoten now a days. not many people practice it ethier

9. Mikiie

Mikiie Well-Known Member

I did Kyukoshin (spelling?) karate for about 7 years and learnt a bunch of junk.
    The teacher was a creep and talked about things that 8 year olds shouldn't have to hear.
    I did learn how to play bullrush pretty well though.

10. sigma_man5885

sigma_man5885 New Member

Muay Thai really is a great workout and if you're looking for overall conditioning and speed, you can't beat it. I love the art of eight limbs.

11. The13Th

The13Th Well-Known Member

Still learning Taekwondo and i am currently at black belt, and paricipated in a school to school competition

12. slater2009

slater2009 Member

I do Kick Boxing. It's good because you don't just do hands - you can do kicks as well meaning it is more fun and not all the same such as punches, hooks, uppercuts, ridgehand...
    I'm 4thku at the moment (purple belt).

13. Mikiie

Mikiie Well-Known Member

I really want to start on a new martial art, but I don't know if I will have enough time, going into yr 11 next year.
    Muay thai sounds great, but I'm not very fast :p

14. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Well isnt that why you would train in a martial art? To get better. But I mean you really should join one, you could go for it once a week.

15. Mikiie

Mikiie Well-Known Member

I don't know where or if we would have enough money.

16. bustaguy8

bustaguy8 Active Member

Do what I do. Fight with a pillow and you'll get instantly stronger ;)

17. silverkitty2012

silverkitty2012 Well-Known Member

OK, here goes...
    I used to study Tang Soo Do. Moved. Found an awesome Chito-ryu school and studied there. Then while i was there, an instructor from another school asked if i would come to his school after Chito-ryu and spar with him. In return, i got free Tae Kwon Do classes after chito ryu class at my other school. 3 years ago, i moved to Virginia and since i cannot find a great school with REAL lessons, i decided to teach myself as much as a I can from books. I am currently teaching myself Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu. I also took up some Tai Chi from an old Yang Long form video.

Because of all this martial arts, i am submissive in bed and in relationships. It's fun putting someone in control of you when you know that if you wanted to be in control, there's no one to stop you. lol

18. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

I'm interested but I'm not really sure if martial arts suit me cause I wear glasses. :(

19. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

I am very interested in starting martial arts training. I am particularly interested in Muay Thai but I don't think they offer it here in my town. It' a pretty small place. Is there any way I can learn it myself? Is there any martial arts that I can basically learn myself, be it through books or internet sources?

20. silverkitty2012

silverkitty2012 Well-Known Member

There are plenty of ways to self teach martial arts, but it's always good to pay for a month or two in a school so you can get a feel for what you like. Martial arts is not just defending yourself, it's a way of life. Kung fu itself can be in anything. you can have baking kung fu if you live your life learning about baking and become a chef. It's living your life by doing that thing until you have completed everything there is to know about it. that is kung fu. If you want to pick a style, look it up first. you have to know if you like kicking more(tae kwon do), hand movements more(tang soo do), flipping(capioera), jumping(muay thai, shaolin kung fu), or almost no movement (judo,jujitsu, tai chi). When you finally know which one is right for you. here is the place to go next...AWMA. Asian world of martial arts. I order from them all the time, they are a great company to get padding, uniforms, books, DVDs, how to guides, swords, etc etc etc. They are online and will send you a catalog with your first order. Good luck and study hard.