1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Martial arts

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Solus, Jun 11, 2008.

1. CameronJHayes

CameronJHayes Well-Known Member

I kinda wanted to get into some basic martial arts but mostly katana-fighting, so yeah

2. Regneva117

Regneva117 New Member

i did karate for a few year. what i wanna learn is jujitsu, i find that would be handy in real life any time, most people tend to be lame and just rush in and fight so why not jujitsu?

3. sebyan

sebyan New Member

i learnt karate for ages and i miss it, but the lessons were the kids ones and the adults classes were ages away but the sparing was always mental

4. Your_Shadow446

Your_Shadow446 Active Member

I'm actually looking for one of those Martial Arts to do, but I'm not quite sure which one to do. I'm also not sure which martial arts they do. Any ideas?

(I'll post what arts they do later.) :)

My advice is not to confront them. :-\

5. boNie001

boNie001 Member

i want to learn kick boxing but dont know wher they teach it in victoria zz

6. skynth

skynth Well-Known Member

I take Tae Kwon doe, I just started, and I'm using that fact to my advantage.

I love to fight, do much more than spar, Run around dodge brances there and here slashing at air or living things.

Ninjutsu is awesome unfortunetly i have no idea where they teach it and if it actually exists within a 20 mile radius or so, Meaning I teach my self to ruthlessly decieve and kill, and I take tae kwon doe to seem cool and it does motivate me.

Infact I wish I lived in the era of ninjas (15 century), I sometimes feel that i was born into the wrong era.

Edited- 2 sec reply.. edited to 15 sec reply.

7. H_Delta101

H_Delta101 Well-Known Member

he,i do not know if anyone reading this,but one of martial art in Malaysia called 'silat' teach that
    the body of us represent the whole universe.And the chi you are talking ,can exist physically and mentally.Example mind reading,kamehame ha (likewise)and many more.But to archive that ,your mind must calm and your heart must good.This is true .It depend to you to believe.

8. Lechongbaboy

Lechongbaboy Well-Known Member

I do arnis.

9. Classic-wolf

Classic-wolf Well-Known Member

Do any of you guys know what the oldest martial art is? without searching it...
    it's okay if you don't, so don't try to fib, nobody really knows but most people point to Pankration and what?

10. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Uh..China has existed a very long time, some of their martial arts are pretty ancient. And about the term martial art well it wasn't named like that but during prehistoric era when man had to go against beast, they started developing weapons and fighting skills from there so it dates back to prehistoric era though there wasn't a term for it yet.

11. Lechongbaboy

Lechongbaboy Well-Known Member

What about Dim Mak?

12. i've tried taekwando. it's a good sport

13. Your_Shadow446

Your_Shadow446 Active Member

taekwando it is for me. Only martial art taught in my town. Going to start very soon.

14. wow that's great keep it up

15. k9112009

k9112009 Well-Known Member

How about boxing? does that count?

I do judo and I'm learning aikido. The other Filipinos in this thread will know what arnis is.

16. Elydan

Elydan Member

I used to practice karate for a year or 4 ever since the young age of 7 (to 11). Due to starting puberty and all that madness, I quit, despite actually having really liked it and having a neck for it. Too bad my new sensei wasn't stimulating me for a positive.

After that I tried getting back into karate on the age of 14, but it was a different style and more for show, something that didn't appeal to me. A few years later on the age of 15-16 I started practicing Kung Fu and Jiu-Jitsu in stead of the to me known Karate (I regret ever quitting Karate). I quit doing Kung Fu since it was too showy for me, I liked sparring/techniques more than I like giving demonstrations. Jiu jitsu, I did that for a year or two and then quit due to not being able to compensate for it with time. I had a lot of stuff going on that time, and as relaxing as it was for me, I could not continue.

I am currently 19 years old and plan on returning back into the Martial Arts way soon enough; as soon as I get a better grip of my life in terms of planning (school etc). Of course when I do return I plan on finding the best suited Martial Arts out there and continue it.

What made me want to do Karate was when I was 6 years old. My older brother was on Karate so I could sometimes see him train. As I saw them exert techniques and spar, I wanted to enter and fight with them too, learn karate and all that too! So I promised my mom, who was with me at the time, that when I turn 7 (the age needed to enter) I want to do karate too! And that's pretty much how my obsession over Martial Arts began. It's a shame I am not practicing any Martial Arts as of now though. =(

17. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

This topic is Matrial arts, there has always been a problem with this term.
    There are those that favour kicking the crap out of people and those that favour a more poetic approach to combat. The concept of a good fighter can be thought of as two ways, those that can fight and those that can avoid fighting(wonderful if you live in a peaceful nation). The most honest martial artist will admit that a fight is the result of their inability of avoiding that fight. There is no such thing as a good fight, but some people do fight well.

So many people on this topic have extolled the virtues of their prefered style, but style never beat substance in a fight.

There is talk about things like crav-maga in these boards(which is portrayed as substance over style), crav-maga is a wonderful system for military grunts to learn basic take-downs. None of the techniques in crav-maga are special or unusual, they are simple tools for simple people. I know of no martial art that does not understand the moves of crav-maga, it is simply a reduction of moves for stupid people in a hurry.

For many people a Martial art means the ability to kick ass, I suggest that a Martial art should enable self-confidence and self-discovery. Those that think a form or style is in any-way connected to combat, needs to re-think. To learn combat is to avoid combat, if you can do that you are the true fighter....

After all that, if you still need to kick some ass, I recommend "Jeet Kune Do(JKD)" as it is not a fighting system. If you cannot find a JKD instuctor I seriously suggest reading some books about it and using your brain before you commit your body to combat. I can hear the screams of those that know(from good experience) that no book will teach anything to do with combat, this is correct, a book on JKD will not teach you how to fight, but it may teach you how to think about a fight and I am sure that the principles of JKD are a better introduction to combat than either loosing a playground fight or taking a hard kicking. JKD at its best teaches you how to avoid a fight and if that is not possible how to deal with violence. JKD is not a fighting system, it is just a means to deal with potential aggression.

18. Lil SaintDemon

Lil SaintDemon Well-Known Member

So far I've done kickboxing for a little more than a year. I'm not great, but I can do things. Not looking for fights though. Just doing it to get in shape, and just in case for self defense. Maybe, just maybe I'll do tornaments.

19. xmodesty

xmodesty Active Member

Yeh lol, I do tae kwon do and i just LOOOOOVVVEEEE SPARRING :D

20. Mario94

Mario94 Well-Known Member

I am 2nd kyu brown belt of 14 years of age.

I am at my second club so I had to start from scratch again with belts. my old sensei was a real dick.

At my new club at my first grading I triple graded. =]