1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Martial arts

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Solus, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

krav maga has no rules

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

That's something new for me, what principle does it follow, if any?

3. Loonylion

can't remember, but poking their eyes out is acceptable I believe.

4. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Some variants of Kung Fu uses eye poking if I remember correctly.

So is hitting them down there hard

5. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Yes, krav maga encourages gouging the eyes.

6. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

hit the nuts
    hit the eyes
    hit the front of the pelvis
    etc

basically hit weak vulnerable points to take down an opponent as quick as possible

7. Luk7nk4

Luk7nk4 Well-Known Member

Someone into Escrima? The Filipino stick fighting looks really, really cool IMO.

I envy you guys! The only martial arts schools in the vicinity of my home were Judo and Greco-Roman/Freestyle wrestling :(

But, have any of you guys ever used your martial art skills to defend yourself? I don't mean sparring, but a real conflict.

8. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Not really. I only plan to use it in really dire situation as we must think of the consequences as well. Like say someone confronts you, I still say the best thing to do is just walk away as if you fight with him, he may have a gang who will one day get you. So, only if I truly have to will I fight back

9. khaislash

khaislash Well-Known Member

Hmm been in Tae-Kwon-Do for 2 years and reached green belt.
    Started Ninja-Do, quitted around 8 months after due to my inability to do the cartwheel up bound and more stunts.You all might be thinking that Ninja-Do/Ninjitsu is like those Ninja fighting style in animes or cartoon.But its wrong.Ninja-Do/Ninjitsu is the practice of basic strike move,a lot of grappling and most of the time disarming.Ninjas that you see in cartoons and anime are ancient Chinese kung-fu assasination skills.Ninjas originated from China not Japan.Although some Ninja-Do martial arts practices shuriken throwing.The common weapon of Ninja-Do is always a 'tonfa'.

10. Classic-wolf

Classic-wolf Well-Known Member

I have no clue what I use, if I can manage to grab my opponents leg or arm, I can identify all the subtle, odd weak spots. My friends get pissed off when we spar, because most of them use that MMA stuff, and I use odd tosses and just plain weird strikes. I resemble my ancestors fighting style, Irish drunk boxing, and Savate. I don't know of any Welsh martial art, and I'm very good at Native American and Pankration(? not sure how to spell?) wrestling, so my most basic stance looks like orthodox boxing foot placement and I start off southpaw so I have inverted foot position southpaw, but I'm right handed! What the FORN!? Also, if I'm boxing, I use the switch-foot-hook when I go righty, and back to lefty. Also, I fake crossing my legs when retreating as crossing the legs seem to lead to a large amount of K.O.s in Boxing, so I use a odd spin punch when my opponent falls for it. Keep your left up though, or you'll get your teeth crossed if you aren't careful when using this move, I came up with it as a means to confuse and punish the opponent once, and only once! Although I do personally use spin punches, as cumbersome and inefficient as they may seem, if you can feel where your opponent is and what they're going to do, then this is one of the more oddly useful techniques. I had really long hair, and it wasn't a mullet, because I shamed and owned Joe Dirt with my long hair. It could be considered the tramp cut, because I did get it trimmed. Anyways, my long hair would circumvent my vision making me have to move even more and come up with a rediculously defensive style, because I only had flashes of my enemies movement, so I developed an eye for posture and movement. I can also use an odd mirror style, in which you copy your opponents moves to the best of your ability. That is how I learned to fight, copying others, but keeping my own spin on things. That and lots of road work(running).

Also, I love the Saotome' family secret technique, "Fast Break!" Which uses the principles of "Motion, Contemplation and Opposition"!(see Ranma 1/2)

But seriously, if you can run away and figure out how to beat your opponent, then do so!

I have little to no formal training, but I've hit my share of snot-nosed punks, who thought they were all that because they were learning Karate, or Tang Su Do(My father's art an influence on me), or Jeet Kune Do, or Xing Yi Ba Chuan(Drunken... I think), or Tae Kwan Do, or even those audacious Brazillian Jujitsu punks that sprang up a couple years ago, I even Ground-pounded a MMA user in the back, fornin' punk. There was even this dumb kid who thought he was the Shatner because he knew Shotokan, but not how to apply it, all speed, no power. I only had to hit him once. I am a natural wrestler due to my body type, but I'm surprisingly fast for my size, and I've got more heart than I know what to do with. How about you guys? What do you prefer and experiment with? Have you ever tried mirroring your opponent?

Here's to the fighting spirit! And remember "True Fighting is Art!" -Street Fighter III

11. mrat316

mrat316 Member

taekwondo for 4 yrs =]

12. Neo_blood

Neo_blood New Member

Well i've been learning the Indain form of fighting, Silambattam (very cool). It involves sticks and a looooot of stamina. I've really enjoyed it, coz i find myself stronger, i can focus more, and i enjoy it too. It helps you cool dow where you're in a rage, and oh, it draws chicks to you :p

13. Classic-wolf

I also use what I call domestic training, basically chores, but here is where mine differs: I'm not sure if you know what the plats/flats are, but it is basically a residential chunk of a town, and the store is roughly half a mile from my house. I get a big order from my family; I can't drive, so I walk, carrying the groceries(usually totalling in-between 30 and 60 lbs.(Why is it abbreviated Lbs. and not Pns.?)) so I use the groceries like weights while I'm walking. Lift 'em up and down. just make sure they're double bagged! Then, if you have a fire-pit in your backyard, Find something like the over-sized shell-lid of one of those huge turtle sandboxes, and when you're transporting wood from the back of your car or wherever to the woodpile, throw the wood in there on the ground, lift that turtle-shell over your head Atlas style, and carry it! 10 BOO-YAH toughness points for a full dry and/or seasoned wood load, 50 for wet and/or green wood(heavier). Those are just two things. Hope I help somebody's training.

14. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

dya guys know where i can get some videos feauturing basic ..uhm katas? for muay thai.

15. Loonylion

youtube has a lot of shotokan kata, don't know about other disciplines.

16. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

yah..but most of it has been removed.

17. Classic-wolf

Muay Thai uses opposite weight distribution, which means: When you're kicking, you look like you're punching and vice-versa. I really can't explain it too well, but you make the motion of one attack, move it through your body, and into the opposite attack to finish the motion. I.e.: slow looking Right punch ends up a deafening left kick! Try out that philosophy and just go for it! Find the most natural Muay Thai position for your body, (raised arms, bent legs, leaning back, sorta' like drunken,) and try attacking. Do it slowly for the first 50-100 attempts, don't wanna' ruin that core of yours, because most Muay Thai I have experienced relies heavily on a strong core for the actuation and transformation of moves. Be weary of their uppercuts, and attack their limbs, and joints; what they heavily rely on. Watch those elbows though, they can be DEADLY! Catch punch with opposite arm,(Their left, your right = catch with Your left, their right) then use the other arm to immediately guard circle into their elbow while straightened, and BOOM! No more punching with that arm, it's backwards!

I'll look into it for you XD-four-nine(XD9999), and do my best to help. (Love for the art!)

18. broot22

broot22 Member

i do kapap its simlar to krav maga but i prefer kapap
    its based on what they teach isralie soilders from infantry to spec ops
    its no holds barred
    basicly a very nasty street defence
    any 1 intrested just type avi nardia and kapap into google

19. diskjocki

diskjocki Well-Known Member

I used to do karate for about a year ^-^ then I quit 'cause it got boring, we almost never got to spar :(
    For some retarded reason though, about 2 months after I left, they started having tournaments and did sparring every second lesson >.<

20. YCobb

YCobb Active Member

I take hapkido, but I'm really not too great at it.
    And I swear, one of the instructors is stalking me.... :-[