1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Martial arts

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Solus, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

LOL! Chobits humour ;D

2. sla03rs

sla03rs Well-Known Member

watch the fight quest kung fu episode :p

3. XtremeBlade

XtremeBlade Well-Known Member

I used to do a bit taekwondoe

4. DevilDinah

DevilDinah Well-Known Member

in Indonesia, there is a martial art where you could be impervious to any attack. it's called debus. one master didn't die when the army shot him with their guns, but he died when a sniper shot a ring around his finger

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

^That sounds awesome, would be nice to do a bank job, and just block all of the gunshots :p

6. DevilDinah

DevilDinah Well-Known Member

everybody here will do it if it wasn't for the price...
    you'll have to pledge loyalty to the guardian, that is, to give you his life.

7. DriftNinja

DriftNinja Member

I'm starting with Tai Chi in college this semester, as well as taking Art Of Personal Defense as its a required course. Will be good to work out some stress that I've had build up over recent years.

8. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

And what course are you taking?

I always wanted to try out Tai-Chi, then break whoever I wasnt to break, in a Quickened Tai Chi form....

9. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Taichi is awesome, if your teacher is kind enough to teach you how to amass & control your chi

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

isn't that, like a requirement of tai chi?

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Not really, most often the Taichi instructor only teaches the basic stuff, like proper breathing exercises, controlling your inner self. This is because, like any Martial Art, Taichi can be dangerous in the wrong hands especially since your dealing with chi manipulation. In the wrong hands, a Taichi master might get all cocky like & make everyone around him fall unconscious just by merely tapping on a person's pressure point. Unlike other Martial Arts, Taichi doesn't rely on force or quick movements to down an opponent, a Taichi master downs an opponent using subtlety & precise small movements, using chi as his force provider.

I remembered my Taichi instructor telling us at the start of class, "If you're intention in learning Taichi is to hurt people, then get out right now & just learn street fighting".

@DriftNinja: Yeah Taichi is a good stress reliever because some aspects of the Martial Art is about meditation, which is both hard, if you have a short attention span & tiring, if you can't stand long periods in one stance or position.

12. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

these points are true of other martial arts, karate for example, you apply force only at the instant you connect, and relax immediately after. you also use technique rather than brute force. Some karate clubs practice meditation also. Additionally, the first thing we were taught was the phrase 'Karate ne sentinashi', which literally means 'there is no first attack in Karate'

13. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

I think that is a misconception about street fighting. Real street fighting is intended to Survive on the streets at whatever cost, hence they teach you any unorthodox methods to take out an opponent. No matter how brutal. So I guess people see it as a violent brutish art.

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I'm not quite sure if the definition is the same, but what I think street fighting is, is that brawlish style of fighting street gangs use. You know, the kind where they use steel pipes, chains, brass knuckles & other deadly objects as weapons, and you hit anywhere you want, with no regard to any rules of some sort.

15. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

Well people categorize gangsters as street fighters as well. But like I said, a true martial art serves to defend and not hurt people. Take for instance Savate. It is a street fighting style created due to France having a dangerous street at that time where muggers constantly work. As it can be seen, it's a street fighting technique to defend yourself against what others see muggers as "street fighters" as well. And the part about hitting anywhere you want without rule is as I have said, it is just a means to survive. If you get mugged by a robber and say the only way to break his grapple is to hit him below the belt, you're not going to think twice just because it is 'dishonrable'. The key to surviving when everything around you is ruthless is being twice as ruthless.

16. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Ah okay,

So nowadays Street fighting is a technical term, & as such is now a recognized school of principle. And Gang fighting is now a separate category as well, if you can say that it is. Cool

17. anandjones

Solus, British? Oh Brutish, I hear in England, random people have fights in the street, awesome. Street fighting has no rules, so nothing like bowing, respect or anything like that. It's for survival, and you can use whatever you want, knuckledusters, umbrella blades etc.

18. Solus

Solus Well-Known Member

And that is what makes martial arts without any rules so awesome. Those that adhere to much to conventional methods render theirselves so rigid and stuck to the rules that they leave no room to be versatile.

19. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Well since you put it that way, to be honest I rather fight using either a blunt object or something heavy like a mail box to throw at an assailant than stick to rules like, don't hit the crotch area or don't hit a woman. I'd rather use a weapon to keep distance than to be in close combat.

20. anandjones

Of course, everyone would, safety comes first.