1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Malaysian! cant you make something original?

Discussion in 'Rants' started by calvin_0, Nov 20, 2008.

1. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

2 years ago there is a local movie call Cicakman which is The Toad (X-men) rip off, his custome is a Dare Devil rip off and his background is basically Spider-Man rip off.

not only that, i saw the preview last night they are going to have a Black Cat \ The Huntress rip off in the sequal who will play as a Batman-Catwoman relationship in the movie.... and the worse thing is, her custome is totally base on Black Cat.

god damn you, cant you guys create something original? stop making cheap rip off form other people's work.....

2. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

In my opinion, they copy a lot of things, from other countries and cultures alike. Indonesia, for example. Some of the architecture in Malaysia (Petronas towers, to name one) are strikingly similar to those found in Indonesian landmarks. And let's not get started with the whole "batik" cloth fiasco....

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Don't you have local comic book heroes or folk legend heroes? Movie directors in your country should look into those for movie ideas.

4. calvin_0

No our local comic book sucks and it doesnt even worth to paid the money. thats why i rather buy a poorly translated manga then a local comic book.... its really that bad. even the news paper comic panel is better then those local comic book....

now you reminded me that when i was young there is a Batman rip off cartoon call Keluang Man. IIRC it have everything batman has, from the joker to catwoman. (Keluang = Fruit Bat)

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

That's a bit sad, We on the other hand used to have movies, a short lived Cartoon & TV Soap dramas that were based on Comic Book stories & characters from the 50's up til the 90's. But after videogames & the internet slowly killed off our comic book industry, we've had no more great new comic book icons to get inspiration out of. Good thing though, that even if the old heroes & characters are being rehashed people still accept it because it has been a part of our culture, but if you ask me, it's starting to get old, we too need new ideas.

6. calvin_0

well if you want to know more, malaysian have created The Fast and The Furious + Initial D rip off, the show is call Impak Maxima (both word is taken from english, Impak = Impact, Maxima = Maximum), it have release 2 movie and a series, now they are doing a musical (High School Musical much?).

and they have rip off tons of Reality Show, American Idol (Gang Star, LG Star Search, One in the Million) and The Apprentice (The Firm) and Amazing Race (Explorer Race, they even have a children version).

damn it, now our country is know as "That country who copy everything".

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Not even one unique show of your own, really?

That's really a major downer... wait how about noon time variety shows or talk shows or something that tackles Malaysian culture or Tourism?

8. calvin_0

they have thier own talk show.... but they never talk about anything intresting, they are either repeat the newspaper or talk about rumor surrounding certain singer\actress. those kind of crap.....drama, nothing good as well, the local drama is like a badly made b-movie, the old local black and white drama is more enjoyable then the new gen drama. As far as game show goes its the game stuff all the time.

just said if not because of those imported show\cartoon from the west\japan and other country, the its not wroth to have a TV at all (unless you have a console game system)

9. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

TV in the UK isn't worth watching either, especially considering we have to pay a £120 a year license fee just for the priviledge of owning a TV. I don't own one.

10. Cahos Rahne Veloza

That's something new to me, a license to own a TV. As if you'll use it like a deadly weapon.

@Cal: And I thought local TV here bites, you've got it worse, poor guy.

11. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

South Africa also requires TV license, but we have such terrible channels on TV here. I don't even watch TV. Only thing I watch is football games on the sport channels. If there is anything particular I need, I will hire the movie or buy the series. There is nothing original here either. But think about this:
    Superheroes, right? Technically they are all rip-offs of the original superhero ever designed (Superman was it not?). If you think about it, practically everything has already been done before in one form or another and there is very little capacity to create something original.
    I remember once I read a quote from a musician that said "All great riffs had already been invented by Black Sabbath. Everything else is just a cheap rip-off." And I think that holds true for so many things in terms of entertainment (games, movies, series etc).

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Totally stupid reply to grim's post:

Africa has "The Gods must be Crazy", yeah I know the film kinda made fun of the Kalahari Bushmen but that movie series was just funny up 'til part 2, the rest were just lame. I'm sorry if it strikes a chord with anyone though. :(

13. grimsim1

grimsim1 Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha ha..I can't believe you know this movie. It's really famous here. It was funny :) Cahos, I'm not South African so don't worry heh heh. I just live here. I suppose that was original and was pretty good. Good one :)

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Well aside from being a gamer, I'm also a bit of a movie buff & Gods must be crazy is one of my favorites.

15. calvin_0

my mom like "The Gods must be Crazy" but i dont really get whats the movie is all about....

anyway i agree that superhero have been copying each other but so far the copying is not obivous a copy like Captain Marvel, it might copy from Superman, but atleast he got his own story, own character development. another example is Black Cat and Catwoman, i'm not sure who copy who, but both of then is unique rather then a modifer version of each other..... not like what the malaysian did which is a pure rip off.

i wonder what they are going to copy next.... Iron Man and call it Besi Man? (Besi = Iron or Metal)

btw i dont get the idea of license for owning a TV.....

16. Loonylion

Honestly it's more like a TV tax. Two of our 5 terrestrial channels are funded by the license fee, instead of advertisments. However, those two channels don't show anything decent either, and not watching them does not excuse you from paying the fee. They keep a database of everyone's addresses and whether or not they've paid, and if they haven't then unpleasant letters threatening court and £1,000 fines get sent. I've had a number of such letters, even though I don't possess a TV. Being deaf, I was unable to call the telephone number to tell them that, and no other means of contact were available. Eventually, I received a court summons, so I went to my university students union and asked for help. One of the advisers rang the number and informed them that I did not have a TV and they were advising me to take legal action against the TV Licensing Authority for harassment and breach of the disability discrimination act (there's a clause that makes it illegal to not provide alternative means of contact). The court summons was withdrawn immediately after that, and I never got another letter in 3 years.

17. calvin_0

wow, i have no idea it work that way in UK.

18. Cahos Rahne Veloza

@loony: So it's kinda like Public Access but the shows suck. That's actually a good idea, pay for TV viewing & have no comercials to ruin your viewing pleisure, kinda like Cable but terrestrial. I wish you could request shows you do like though.

@Cal: Though "The Gods must be Crazy" is a funny movie, it has an underlying theme, that being the contrasts of two very different cultures. One based on the current world we live in & is very much confusing & the other a simple but happy life, where people are devoid of greed nor Malice.

19. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Wow, a paid license for public television? I never knew... That much money for only 5 channels must suck, though.
    In Indonesia we have about 11 private-owned terrestrial channels and 1 public television. Most just show soap operas/ american idol copycats/ celebrity news/ reality shows, rinse and repeat. There's only one decent terrestrial channel, the others are... pain-inducing to watch. Which is exactly the reason why I pay the equivalent of $15 a month for satellite. Money well spent.

20. Loonylion

its that much money for two channels, the other three are commercial. You can get more channels by buying a freeview box (free to aid digital TV), Sky (satellite) or cable (if available in your area), However the latter two are subscription services with a monthly charge.