1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Making the Wii region-free with Brawl

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by archlvt, Sep 30, 2013.

1. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

So I saw an explanation (a poor one that was not clear at all) saying that you can make the wii region free by using a copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl along with a program called Gecko. Does anyone have any experience with this, and can you tell me exactly how to do it and if there are any issues with saving etc?

Basically, I bought a game on Amazon and they didn't tell me that it was the PAL version, and it will cost twice as much to ship it back as I paid for the game plus the shipping here. So I figured I'd try and crack the wii to play PAL games.

I know nothing about homebrew and have never installed it, nor Gecko. I do have an SD card, and I do have an SD/USB reader. Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

For this much effort, you might as well use it to run any backup, not just PAL region games.

Look up a guide on how to install homebrew on your Wii.

Getting PAL games to work is sometimes a hassle. Sometimes you need to run it through a patcher (to make it think it's NTSC) and sometimes it's just a simple setting issue in the backup launcher.

3. archlvt

archlvt Well-Known Member

Since I made the post last night, I've installed Homebrew (which apparently was unnecessary), and put Gecko OS on my SD card. So apparently I'm just supposed to go into the SSBBrawl map editor and Gecko will take over, I eject the disc and put in my PAL game and it should apparently work. Will test that shortly when my friend arrives with Brawl.

If I were to use it to run backup games, do I need anything besides Homebrew and an ISO on my SD?