1. This forum is in read-only mode.

mac vs pc vs LINUX?!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by lugia543, Jun 13, 2010.

?

well?

1. Mac OS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Windows

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Linux

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

Personal Computer? >.>

I think you mean Windows correct?
    Because PC is not an Operating System. Just a reference to a Personal Computer owned by an individual that may have Mac, Windows, or Linux on it.

I have Windows, but I prefer Linux to be honest with you.
    I need to get ArchLinux back...

Though if I get a more powerful PC, I'll experiment and triple-boot with all 3.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

macos is just a derivative of unix, just like linux was originally a free alternative to unix (but is architecturally very similar).

4. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

oops.

5. nu885

nu885 Well-Known Member

i'd never touch a mac personally but its because i grew up with the knowledge that macs suck for gaming and alot of linux builds for games and programs always seem to come after the Windows release(may not be the case now) and seem to always be less stable when reading peoples comments..

even though i hate microsoft.. windows is so universal and i'd hate to have to learn a completely new OS, even though ive toyed with the idea of trying linux before i think i'll just stick with windows because if something messes up on it, i can fix it myself 99% of the time and i know how to configure it to do what i want

6. biscuit106

biscuit106 Active Member

I have just gone back to a Mac after many years using Windows. I love it, it is easier to use, more intuitive and the speed is much faster that my husbands PC (using Windows XP).

I know that it does not support games much, but I use my NDS for that, my computer is for work and access to the internet. The programs that came with it are good and easy to use, as I said it is intuitive, to use.

I would not go back to Windows, and by the way does anyone remember that it was Apple that first introduced a the windows format? And in my opinion still do it the best.

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I grew up with macs.

Stop using pc's for so long, went to windows based computers, and then...well I can't navigate a mac based pc anymore, it changed alot since 1994 :(

Never touched a linux, and I won't, from what i've been told, too complicated and doesn't suit my needs.

8. irbaboon

irbaboon New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6JOYYK0-8g&feature=related
    For Mac users :p

9. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixbzFjv_cU

10. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

I play games too much for anything other than windows

11. Croassassin

Croassassin Well-Known Member

I say PC (Windows 7) coz of games then Linux coz well I love it then Mac...I dont like Mac :s

12. firartix

firartix Member

Linux, cu'z it works on a NDS, there's SSH, and it works on both Mac & PCs.
    too bad the games don't all work well on it :/

13. Moarliek

Moarliek New Member

I am a Windows user. I have a very powerful PC, and my number one use of this power is GAMES! I game on my PC and my NDS/Wii. Hardcore games on PC, retro/fun games on NDS/Wii. I love the high resolution provided by PC gaming. Windows is the platform that has the most games, and I have NEVER had a virus. I also love the compatibility of Windows. And the interface is very fast in Win7, everything boots up so quickly.

14. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

PC and Mac- Computers

Linux- Operational System

FAIL.

15. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

It was irritating me too, so I fixed it. :p

If I was allowed to choose more than one, then I would have chosen Windows and Linux. But since I could only choose one, I chose Windows because I use it more often than I use Linux.

16. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

mac is an OS too, its short for macos.

17. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

Realistically, I like Windows because I am surrounded with it.

18. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

I just downloaded a UFO/X-com game. I can only play this game under windows. I would rather play this game using no GUI, so I would like to dedicate everything my computer has to this game. Sadly it will not boot without a windows GUI. I want to play this game/ I want to run this software. I do not need or want a GUI, but sadly the producers of my game use DirectX because they are lazy bastards and I have to resort to windows.

I mostly use shitty windows now as I do love my games, before I sacked myself and closed my crappy X-mas company I used Knoppix to do my business. I still use knoppix(linux) when I have an idea I wish to flesh out, but for games and posting on RomU I do tend to boot Windows XP.

As an addendum I must say that I have used Open Office for pretty much everything, is it better than MS office? fuck if I know, but it works well for me and most importantly it runs on most OS's saves me having to PDF a file.

19. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

Mac is also short for Machintosh, which was Apple's computer name for lots of years.

On subject:

I personally prefer Windows for some tasks and Linux for others. From time to time I install a different linux distro on one of my hds for testing purposes. Current one is Lubuntu after getting a few issues with Archlinux.

20. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

ArchLinux is a bit touchy if you don't install it correctly.
    I used to have it, but I didn't have enough room on my HDD for it. :p