1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Lyrics you find profound?

Discussion in 'Music' started by King Cookie, Jan 27, 2012.

1. King Cookie

King Cookie Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be super pretentious music or anything. I find it in weird places. Almost all of Panic! At The Disco's "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" album.

Also parts of 3Oh!3's Want album.

Kill the lights,
    These children learn from cigarette burns, fast cars, fast women, and cheap drinks,
    It feels right,
    All these asphyxiated, self-medicated; take the white pill, you'll feel alright

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

'shadowland' from the lion king on broadway gives me shivers.

I find almost all dream theater stuff to be pretty profound, but a couple of songs in particular took me by surprise.

Metropolis pt.1 the miracle and the sleeper. This surprised me because it almost perfectly describes the early life of a character I devised for one of my novels. Her parents were brutally murdered in front of her, she was abused for a long time, and she finally found someone who loved her and she could be happy with.

Solitary shell, this song describes me so well its uncanny, but arguably its deliberate since it describes a boy with autism, which I have a mild form of.

3. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Bedrock by Young Money

Blows my mind every time.

4. shredc0re

shredc0re Guest

This is something I find quite well describing. It's from the song Filth Friends Unite, created by a band called I See Stars.

5. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Dude, that shit's deep man.

6. Void

Void Well-Known Member

"And in the end the love you take
    Is equal to the love you make"

The Beatles - The End

I heard that lyric a bunch of times growing up. About a week and a half ago I had a pretty tough/weird personal time. I tuned into this lyric incredibly hard as the album wrapped up and I just kind of sat there in blankets for a while thinking about it. It's such a simple notion, isn't it? I had a good tear-up, ordered a bouquet of flowers to my mom and txted some old buddies. When has anyone ever regretted loving? Oh, how music is better than everything combined.

---

Edit - one more:

"Every face I saw was the same face
    So may we all make it home safely
    'Cause nothing is without light..."

Owls - Holy Fucking Ghost

Similar optimistic message, relating more to empathy than symbiotic happiness.

@Loony: Care to give me a personal analysis of that first song? That second song is pretty dark but I like the honesty. I don't know the song well but there seems to be some themes of 'faking the smile', so to speak, ("He seemed no different from the rest", "He's a Monday morning lunatic") which everyone can relate to to some degree also.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

since you referred to solitary shell as the 'second', I'll assume you meant metropolis pt 1.

It's quite interesting to be honest, when taken in context with metropolis pt 2 (which is an entire album), it's a story of love, passion and violence, and a prophecy of reincarnation. It's basically a story of two different men, one affluent and successful, a senator, named Edward, ('the miracle') and his brother Julian, ('the sleeper') who both fall in love with the same woman. Julian gets there first, but his relationship with her deteriorates because he's a compulsive gambler. It all comes to a climax when Victoria and Julian meet up one night, unware Edward is watching them. When he confronts them, Julian pulls a knife and Edward guns him down, before turning the gun on Victoria. He then plants a suicide note on his brother and runs off to play the terrified witness.

Some time in the future (metropolis pt. 2), a man is troubled by a strange recurring dream, and visits a hypnotherapist to find out more. With his help, Nicholas regresses into a past life, and learns the story of Victoria, and what really happened that dark night many years ago. He discovers that he is the reincarnation of Victoria, and is determined to prove what really happened to her (history states that she was murdered by Julian who then committed suicide). Once the truth has been revealed to him, he goes home to mull over what he has learned. the television news is depressing (president Kennedy has just be assassinated) so he puts on some music. A car door slams and footsteps come down the hall, then the hypnotherapist says 'Open your eyes, Nicolas' and the record jumps to static.

The prophecy has been fulfilled.

'Somewhere like a scene from a memory
    There's a picture worth a thousand words
    Eluding stares from faces before me
    It hides away and will never be heard of again
    Deceit is the second without end'

'There's no more freedom
    The both of you will be
    confined to this mind'

The hypnotherapist was the reincarnation of both Edward and Julian, and Edward's secret is safe

8. PockyRyu

PockyRyu New Member

For me there is a certain line from Can't Stop by RHCP's. "Sweetheart is bleeding in the snow cone, so smart she's leading me to o-zone."
    Anyone have a clue as to what it means?

9. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Anthony Kiedis will say anything if it rhymed.

10. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

drugs