1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Looking for Good PC Games (from 1998-2003)

Discussion in 'PC' started by insanecrazy07, Aug 11, 2010.

1. RomRomPawnch

RomRomPawnch Well-Known Member

Red Alert? Is that in the time zone?

2. manaseater

manaseater Well-Known Member

Maybe a bit older but must play-
    descent 2 (3 looks awesome but i havent tried)

thief 2
    hitman 2
    black and white

3. allkratos

allkratos Well-Known Member

Call yourself lucky as I, a PC classic expert is going to help you.
    Deus Ex- Don't call yourself as a lover of creativity and revolutionary ideas if you do not play it. came out in 2000 and often regarded as one of the greatest game of all time and almost definitely the greatest PC game of all time. I am not joking and this not just my opinion but critics as well.
    Another classics you should take a look is Planescape: Torment. Hands down the "truest" RPG ever.

But....do yourself a favor....X-COM:UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown. If you do not play it, I think the world will end very soon and I will not forgive myself for failing to convince a youngster like you to play this cult classic. It's up there as the greatest game of all time along with the aforementioned Deus Ex and a few other games.

4. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

system shock 2

5. allkratos

allkratos Well-Known Member

That's great but Deus Ex is definitely the game that somehow "completed" System Shock 2.

6. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Ive just downloaded quake 1-3 they are quite good

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Command & Conquer: Red Alert to be exact :) And yeah! "Shake it Baby! I'm there!" <- C&C: Red Alert's Tanya reference.

That one surely fits the time frame the topic starter is looking into. So are Warcraft 2 & Commandos.

8. seriaku

seriaku Well-Known Member

nevermind, was already mentioned.

Maybe try one of the dungeon siege, or Sacred.

9. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

Dungeon Keeper
    Dungeon Keeper 2

10. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (1997). This game is one of my favorites, and is the first Star Wars game to feature Good/Evil Choices, with two different ending. The game's graphics aren't anything special, so you should be able to run it (There's tons of mods and such available to make the game look a little prettier, but I personally prefer it's original graphics). The most memorable thing about this game though is that it features Live Action Cutscenes, with Real Actors, and of course CG Effects.
    Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II: Mysteries of the Sith (1998). Expansion for Dark Forces II. Doesn't have Live Action Cutscenes, but it's still really fun.
    There's demos available for both those Star Wars Games, so give them a go.

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War (2004). The game is from 2004, but you should be able to run it (I can run it on my Netbook, so that says something about playability. For me the game lags up when there are lots of units on screen). I've only played the demo, and it is pretty fun. It's a good strategy game. Like I said, you should be able to run it.
    So try the demo yourself and see what you think.

The Half Life 1 Trilogy (Half Life, Half Life: Blue Shift, Half Life Opposing Forces). All the games are really fun, and they should run on your computer just fine, they run on mine just fine, and I have an underpowered netbook.
    Like the other games I mentioned, there is a Half Life Demo called "Half Life Uplink" which is sort of a special Demo level, and not a level from the actual game.

You should be able to run all these games just fine, judging by what you have already played. If you can play KOTOR and Jedi Academy and such, these games should be no problem for your computer to handle. They're not as graphically demanding as KOTOR either, and you said you get a bit of lag from KOTOR, so as I said, they should work good.

11. asdfth12

asdfth12 Well-Known Member

Battle Zone 2 + Forgotten Enemies and Flesh Storm mods
    Tachyon the Fringe
    Dark Reign 2
    Halo
    Delta Force 3 Land Warrior
    CnC Renegade
    Starwars Battle Front 2
    Heavy Gear
    Heavy Gear 2
    Unreal
    Doom
    Home World
    Tiberian Sun + Firestorm expansion
    Red Alert 2 + Yuri's Revenge expansion

All will run on 512 mb ram, 64 mb vid card, and p4 class cpu.

Im listing BFII because that WILL run on the hardware you listed. It just won't run on vista. Which speaking of vista... You shouldn't be running vista on specs that low anyway.

12. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

It runs on vista.

13. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Well-Known Member

You can buy Arcanum for 5 Dollars in Good Old Games Website. They made it Vista Compatible... And like other Games they have there... but meh, Maybe I'm just enjoying myself playing as a Ogre with a Machine Gun...

14. dills2

dills2 Well-Known Member

orange box (maybe) and team fortress 2 will work

15. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Hey I just remembered another PC Game I used to love, Black & White! And no, it ain't Pokemon I'm talking about :p

16. dills2

dills2 Well-Known Member

i remember that also plants vs zombies might run dosent seem that graphical

17. usernameladiesman217

usernameladiesman217 Well-Known Member

Black and White 2

18. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

Infinity Engine Games such as Planescape: Torment

19. Rysio

Rysio Well-Known Member

Divine Divinity, it's like more role-playing Diablo. Plus you can pick up all kind of stuff like bottles, cups, rocks, other useless items - like in TES games.

20. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I already tried. I can get to the menu, but whenever it starts a match, it just crashes.
    Anyway, I'm running Tiny Vista, which uses just slightly more RAM than XP does.