1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Looking for a horizontal shooter

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by GReen20, Nov 21, 2010.

1. GReen20

GReen20 New Member

Hi guys, I played a 2D flying horizontal shooter long time ago in an arcade, it was extremely fun but since it was so long ago I don't remember the name at all :(

Basically you pilot a jet and it has the ability to "suck" other enemy planes in and use them as weapons, the effect looks like a magnetic field. Once you do that, the enemy plane will fly along side of you and your weapon choice depend on what you bring in using the ability.

Hopefully my explanation doesn't suck, thanks!

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

well the only sidescrolling flyer games I can think of offhand are gradius and r-type.

3. GReen20

GReen20 New Member

I looked those up and they are not it =( I remember it being kind of 3D but not entirely, thanks tho

4. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

...Einhander?

5. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

this game called nanostray on the DS. fun but EXTREMELY frustrating

6. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

HORIZONTAL shooter. Can't you read?

7. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

oh lol I got mixed up with horizontal and vertical. I thought horizontal was left and right.
    Post Merge: [time]1290321601[/time]
    so this isn't horizontal? I could've sworn it was

8. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Oh come on now, don't confuse poor lotlat, horizontal is left-right, although nanostray is a combination, and I don't think it absorbs enemies.

I'm researching it now, I vaguely remember playing a game like that and it's bugging me.

9. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I remember it as a horizontal being a fat whore and vertical being a skinny dude...

Anyways...I haven't played many arcade games. It rings a bell, but it's been forever since I've been in a genuine arcade...

10. lugia543

lugia543 Guest

let me know when you find out what it was. it sounds fun

11. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

That game boths horizon/verti.

Try playing it all the way dude.

12. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

I remember this game ;D It is found on the GBA ;D the background is in outer space. But I forgot the name just like him...

13. GReen20

GReen20 New Member

It's not on the GBA, it's an arcade game. If anything it could be found on either ps1 or ps2 cuz the background is somewhat 3D, IIRC!

14. Ratchet2325

Ratchet2325 Well-Known Member

Hellfire?

[​IMG]

15. 2DamCerius

2DamCerius My eyes for your brain...fair trade.

These titles are nontheless shoot 'em up games I randomly thought of, and if some don't apply then bring in some more ammunition...

Cybernator
    Megaman Series(I don't know if this is considered a horizontal shooter, but to me it definitely is...)
    Raiden Trad
    Super Earth Defense Force
    Old School Metroid Series(Another shooter I think is horizontal)
    Mech Warrior
    Terminator
    Side Arms
    Contra
    Robocop
    Phalanx
    Thunder Force
    Gundemonium

16. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

Galaga: Destination Earth? You could suck up enemies if you did the right stuff... But it was more of a mixture of vertical, horizontal, and classic Galaga gameplay. And it IS kind of 3D... XD

17. saher1175

saher1175 Guest

Ikaruga
    Darius Gaiden
    Radiant Silvergun
    BioMetal

Any of these ring a bell?

(I think it's more likely Darius Gaiden. You could shoot an orb off a miniboss and then take the orb to gain control of it. Am I right?
    Also, You had a black hole bomb weapon thingie which would suck up all small enemies on the screen.) (Plus, it's horizontal.) (Plus, it's an arcade game.)

(Or Ikaruga, Where you can suck up bullets fired at you of the same "polarity" to charge up your weapon.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017