1. This forum is in read-only mode.

linux

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Almo, Jan 20, 2008.

1. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you shouldn't have any problem running any programs on Linux that you use now. If a certain program doesn't work for it, I'm sure they have a similar, if not the same exact program for it. Besides, your a torrent man like me, shouldn't be too hard to find something :)

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

You can get a free Ubuntu CD from their site I think.

3. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

As I was saying:

Make sure if you want to create a dual boot system that you have a FAT32 system to exchange files between Windows and Linux. NTFS is not supported under linux (existing implementations are reversed engineered).

And try knoppix as a live-cd distribution.

4. Warren_303

Warren_303 Well-Known Member

Yeah Knoppix is great man, I've loaded it every once in a while. Good stuff :)

5. darkman

darkman Well-Known Member

I've been using Linux for a little over 8 years now. I use SuSE Linux 10.0. I would recommend you trying Puppy Linux. You can download it and run it from a CD without installing. The great thing about running from a CD is that you can see just how much of your computer and peripherals are compatible. If you have an internal Win modem, for example, then you will have problems hooking up to the net. I have built my whole rig around running Linux. I started using Linux at first by dual booting. I gradually learned to use it and found all the programs that matched what I was using on Windows and then finally switched. It all depends what you use your computer for. I do a lot of drawing. I use the GIMP, sorta like Photo Shop in ways, to color and edit my drawings or photos. I use "gens," Mame, and ZSNES for my emulation gaming.
    There are ways to load some Windows programs onto Linux with programs like WINE and the commercial program Crossover Office.
    But if you are into heavy PC gaming then I would suggest you stick with Windows.

6. CloudBoy101

Hmmmmm....... Isn't Darkman a Sam Raimi flick?

7. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

what has that got to do with this thread, cloudboy?

8. darkman

darkman Well-Known Member

Uuuhh..........yeah, but I used the name for this guy,

[​IMG]

I drew him and used him for an avatar in another forum. Presently I use my own picture as an avatar. Admittedly it is an old photo of me.

And this drawing was colorized using the GIMP on my Linux Distro! To bring us back to the subject at hand. I use a CanoScan LiDE 20, which Linux has the full drivers for, to scan in my drawings.

9. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ lol I hate GIMP though :p but thanks for the info :)

10. CloudBoy101

Absolutely nothing.