1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Libyan Crisis

Discussion in 'General News' started by damanali, Feb 28, 2011.

1. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Well, they are enforcing the no fly zone (I think the French were sending jets), and the US and British have struck the anti-air abilities with 110+ cruise missiles on some 20 military sites.
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/19/france-fires-libyan-military-vehicle/?cmpid=cmty_fb_Gigya_U.S._Launches_Cruise_Missiles_Against_Qaddafi%27s_Air_Defenses

Hopefully it doesn't escalate into another ground war for the US, and this is just a "we'll sit on the side lines so those French fighter jets don't get shot down".

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I believe a land war would be in violation of the UN resolution, not that it stopped america last time.

3. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

So, the allied forces have declared war on Libya.

How can they be sure that no civilians will be killed?

4. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Another few billion of the taxpayers money will now be thrown at another country whilst our health service, police and schools are all failing.
    The government just cut a housing scheme in my city so now we have huge areas of houses just boarded up ready to be demolished but now they are leaving them because the moneys been withdrawn. Familys with children can't get houses here, they have to live in hostels. Its a joke, that money should be spent where its needed and only when this country is back on top of things should we throw money away.

5. TirithRR

They can't, but they are hoping that by crippling Qaddafi's air defense, they can have the UN enforce the no-fly zone without any fear of Qaddafi attacking the foreign planes doing the enforcement. By having the no-fly zone, it will stop air raids against the rebels, and they won't be killed from the sky. The rebels had asked for the UN to make the area a no-fly zone.

I'm not familiar with how many Civilians are supporting Qaddafi, and how many are on the rebels. But Qaddafi has said he was opening weapons caches to "arm the people of Libya" as a result of the US/British missile strikes. I don't know if the rebels make up a very small portion of the population, or if Qaddafi is just delusional about how many of the people are supporting him. From what I understand he's pretty delusional, but obviously I get my news from western sources, so they may be a bit biased. He seemed to have some pretty crack pot theories as to why his people were rebelling, (drugs given to them by people from the West, if I remember right).

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

funnily enough he was blaming al-quaeda for the drugs/alcohol.

7. TirithRR

Ah, just as crazy either way :)

8. shadowhawk95

shadowhawk95 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling this will start world war 3. :(

9. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I don't think this will escalate to that level

10. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

This will be another Iraq situation for sure. All the things that are happening in Libya, happened in Iraq. Then suicide bombers again. The only thing different is that its going in a faster rate. I bet, even if the rebels win, Kadaffi's tribe will retaliate on the new transitional government.

But, it already started, i hope they can finish it. If not, Kadaffi will purge Libya of all Rebels that their black gold, will turn red.