1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Learning Spanish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damanali, Jun 22, 2010.

1. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Because Spanish is useful? Especially in places like America where it is starting to turn into one of the primary languages. I'm personally against learning Spanish and will never do so, but somebody being interested in a language for any reason and wanting to learn it is their own business.

Basically, if they want to learn Spanish, there is no reason why they shouldn't if they have the drive to get it done.

2. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

I will use spanish for translating archives of information in the library. The Philippines was ruled by spain for 333 years so, we have tons of books written in spanish and only a few are willing to translate them.

3. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

Where is it happening? Down here in Brazil they tried to introduce a law that made our portuguese sound more like Portugal's portuguese(they're different in many ways).

If it's North America(since America is a continent), that's only because USA didn't have a official language.

4. LuckyTrouble77

Although there is technically no official language in the US, English is pretty much the only accepted language in most areas.

Spanish is just becoming more common. I hear Spanish almost as much as English anymore (okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but I hear it far more then I did just a couple years ago).

Anyways, that makes no difference. If the person wants to learn Spanish, they can. It has more practical uses than many other languages if they're American (I obviously can't speak for other countries). I'm learning French, but at the moment, I can't think of one time when it will be useful. It just appealed to me more than other languages.

5. MR4Y

MR4Y Well-Known Member

In terms of usefulness, latin is the quintessencial language, since almost all languages have words originated from latin.

6. LuckyTrouble77

Except that "originated from" doesn't mean you're learning every language that Latin may have been the base of by learning Latin.

I don't get why you are acting so against learning Spanish. If the person wants to learn and has the drive, I see no need why they shouldn't.

7. ricgal_hz

ricgal_hz Member

I speak spanish and is very useful, now i can understand portuguese about 80% and a little bit of italian, If anyone wants to learn i don't see a problem.

So, if anyone wants to know how to say something in spanish, I can help.

8. damanali

Ok, i'm trying rosetta stone now and i'm kinda having fun using it. My only complaint against it is the translation. It doesn't give you a english translation of the spanish words. It only shows a picture. I don't mind it cause you can understand it by picturing the different words that come with each picture.

9. LuckyTrouble77

That is how the program teaches you. It is apparently very effective.

10. damanali

I think so too! I think i can do better in the next lessons. And the classes will also let me improve my pronunciation cause i think rosetta stone program is a bit biased in my favor. lol

11. Ishimaru

Ishimaru Member

I'm from Mexico, spanish is not that hard really n_n, but you must remember there is Spain spanish and "LatinAmerican" spanish, which derivates into Mexican, Chilean, etc... they're different.

12. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Fixed.

13. damanali

Yes, most of the Soap operas in spanish in the Philippines are latin American Spanish and i find they are similar in some ways but many words are substituted... so yeah, its different.

I'm studying Spain - Spanish cause the books I need to translate are written by spaniards. We also have a different spanish here in the philippines. They call it Chavacano... well its colloqial and i heard they are not understood by real Spanish speakers.