1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Laptop cooling fan or Laptop cooling pad?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by damanali, Sep 13, 2014.

1. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

Which is better?

Cooling fan uses usb power to run a fan or 2 and blows air under your laptop, also known as active cooling while cooling pad is passive where you just place it underneath your laptop and it absorbs heat from it.

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I use those usb 4.5" diameter fan during long hour use. Never tried the other device. I'd say it depends on your daily usage. If it's long hour use, I'd think the fan is the better choice. But what's really important in my opinion is to elevate the laptop just enough so air can circulate under it, and be sure to dust the on-board fan periodically. Then again I'm no expert on this, thus I might even suggest placing an air-con unit underneath it. :p

3. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

About the fan, does the material also matter in cooling laptops? Like, aluminum vs. plastic fan blades? Size and and number of fans in one package?

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Lets see, hope my insight is not misleading;

Material wise, I don't think it makes much difference in that sense. It mainly boils down to how big and heavy your laptop is, how much heat it generates, and condition of it's internal fan. While how many fan or it's size to use/choose depends on how well the cooling pad's fan generates wind to effectively and efficiently cools the laptop during long period of use. Having 1 large fan or several smaller fans don't necessarily makes one better than the other. It's again depends on how well those fan(s) generates wind to blow through the laptop and keeps it cool. For example, I use a single 4.5" diameter acrylic fan, because in my opinion that would suffice for my laptop as it's small size, internal fan still functioning well, cheaper than other models I've compared, etc. So, try to consider which to buy base on the tips, and then weigh it against your actual needs.

Tips to consider in my opinion:
    1. Durability; of cause a metal based material is likely more durable, though that depends on how you use it.
    2. Strength/Weight support; find a sturdy and thick material product even if it's of plastic/acrylic, that won't easily bend.
    3. Budget; metal based pads and those of better quality material pads, tend to be more expensive than the plastic models.
    4. Noise; produced by 1 large fan or a couple of small fans in the pad might vary depending on product quality; get a quiet one for sure.
    5. Size; make sure to get one that fits well with your laptop/notebook
    6. Surface; find one that has anti-slip to prevent laptop from falling, and should tilt in an angle that's comfortable to use for long hours
    7. Energy consumption; find one that's economical that won't drain your laptop battery quickly if use without being plug to electricity
    8. Heat Resistant and Isolated; find one that resist heat well (even if it's plastic), and certainly one that won't likely transfer electrical current.
    9. Secure; find one that has provides sufficient cover to prevent finger from accidentally getting in contact with the fan blades.
    10. Easy to clean; find one that allows you to clean the fan blade surface whenever necessary