1. This forum is in read-only mode.

laptop advice

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by dt123, Jan 7, 2014.

1. dt123

dt123 Well-Known Member

hey there i dont know much about laptops but was wondering if this laptop was any good for $800

http://www.centrecom.com.au/hp-envy15-j005tu-i7-4700mq156hd4gb750gbdrww8silver1yr (getting it from different place though so price is different)

CPU: Intel 4th Generation i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz(Turbo 3.4GHz)
    RAM: 4GB DDR3
    HDD: 750GB SATA
    Graphic: Intel HD Graphics
    Integrated VGA
    Screen: 15.6” LED Screen

Will be using this laptop for university and maybe some gaming

2. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Define "gaming".
    i.e - Crysis 3 on max settings or Bloons Tower Defense?

The processor is a mobile processor, so not much chop for gaming, but the CPU isn't really a concern.
    Not much RAM (you at least want 8).
    Also, you're using integrated graphics. So don't expect much from it.

3. dt123

dt123 Well-Known Member

cheers buddy im not a heavy pc gamer maybe team fortress 2 is too the extent I play on it I usually play on consoles. main question is am I getting what im paying for? if anyone could suggest a laptop for similar price or less would be much appreciated

4. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Bloons Tower Defence is epic, almost got through all the maps on the android version!

Also, get Windows 7 instead of 8 if at all possible.

5. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

TF2 should be fine.
    Yep, you're getting what you're paying for. And that is not much.

Loony should be able to suggest something when he gets online. Just wait a few hours or so.

Lol. I love that game :)
    Well, the company is required to give you a copy of Windows 7 anyway. So you can just ask (Loony told me, so don't ask anymore about it since I haven't got a clue).

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you will not be gaming on intel integrated graphics. they suck. get either an AMD APU, or something with a discrete graphics chip. Also more RAM.

I'm not hugely keen on the idea of i7s in laptops, I think its too much heat in too small of a case, so I'd probably go for an i5 myself, and a higher clocked one than 2.4ghz

as xeni says, you can get win7 media and key from the manufacturer, but you have to ask for it and quote the microsoft downgrade right (possibly only applies to windows 8 pro or higher, see http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/downgrade_rights.aspx)

7. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

i got myself a 300$ laptop, it seems to be able to run skyrim decently.
    Post Merge: [time]1389469105[/time]
    I liked barbie.